Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby pulling nipples.

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:37 PM
  • 10 Replies

My DD is just 4 months old and every once in a while when she is nursing she will suck on me and then with my nipple in her month she will force her head down! It feels like she is trying to pull my nipple off! she has only done it a couple of times, (this is something new she has started this weekend) one of the times I was nursing her, i saw  she was getting ready to do it and i pulled my nipple out of her mouth, other than doing that what can i do and if I take it away enough times will she but 2 and 2 together and stop doing it? and she is getting teeth in one came through the gums this weekend does this mean she is going to start biting me to? I really want to nurse her until she is one but I amn not going to have any nipples left at the rate she is going she is going to pull them off!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsroeh
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Going through the SAME thing!!! Reagan will be 4 months on the 25th. Can't wait to see the replies. I think she is at the "aware of her surroundings" phase and she is loosing focus when she eats.

So BUMP BUMP BUMP lol!

ELFs_Mommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:42 PM

I think there is a post somewhere in the group about getting baby to stop biting.  I would follow the same principals.  Basically, when baby does it, break the latch and tell her "No" then let her latch on again.  If she does it again, break the latch, tell her "No" and wait a few minutes before letting her latch on again.  If she does it again, end the nursing session for 10-15 minutes.  If she continues, end the session untill the next feeding.  Eventually, baby will get the hint. 

Brookesmom10
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:46 PM

The one time I cought what she was going to do I broke the latch and told her no, she looked up at me and started to laugh! does she know what the word "no" means?

srhtinker1981
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:47 PM

My 7 month old does that pulling of the nipple and he chomps down on my nipple. He has no teeth but it still hurts.

Sarah

Brookesmom10
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:52 PM

oh yea if my DH walks in the room while I am feeding her and starts talking she is done eatting! he has to come and say hi to her and leave the room and she has to watch him leave the room before she will start eatting. its nuts! but if he is in the room when she starts to eat he is fine. 

mrsroeh
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Quoting Brookesmom10:

The one time I cought what she was going to do I broke the latch and told her no, she looked up at me and started to laugh! does she know what the word "no" means?

DITTO!! I finally would pull her off, sit her up then say "NO" wait till she started to fuss to eat more and then give her back the boob. Did that 100 times and she just looks at me like "what?' Grrr.... Finally I gave up that feeding but now I know sometimes she is just tired and doesn't want to eat when she does that so I bounce her....

LKRA
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:55 PM

I hate to break it to you, but it really is the "showing interest in her surroundings" phase. :) Gone are the days of a perfectly still baby cradled in your arms, nursing peacefully. The older she gets, the more she will try to turn her head with your breast still in her mouth.

Try nursing in a quiet place, with no distractions. That always helps.

As for biting, there is a link in the Resources thread about biting. The first time my daugher bit me, I almost dropped her! LOL She learned quickly not to do it. Unfortunately, now that she is 14 months old, she is biting again to test me. It is a battle, let me tell you. I do not allow that type of behavior. There is such a thing as nursing manners.

The ONLY indication that you are not producing enough milk for your baby is a decrease in dirty diapers. What goes in must come out. Period. End of story.

ScottsWifeSusan
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Aggghhh Lily is doing the same EXACT thing. It is sooo painful and I swear my breast are either gonna fall off or hang to the floor by the time she is weaned.  lol  J/K

Bmomma2
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Quoting ScottsWifeSusan:

Aggghhh Lily is doing the same EXACT thing. It is sooo painful and I swear my breast are either gonna fall off or hang to the floor by the time she is weaned.  lol  J/K

AHHH!!!  My four month old's name is Lily too!!!!  BTW she does the same thing...she bites down and pulls....I think it is a teething thing. 

Be patient , kind, and understanding.  Be the mom.

domino13
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:18 PM

My little miss will be four months on the first and she loves to do that too! She just has a tendency to pull her head backward while trying to keep my nipple in her mouth. (I nurse her laying down cuz I'm heavy chested and tend to smother her nursing any other way.) She then starts to scream at me until she finds my nipple again like I took it away from her or something. I think she is also teething. We haven't had anything break thru the gums but I can def feel them and she drools like CRAZY!

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)