Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gall blatter surgery and breastfeeding....

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:45 PM
  • 13 Replies

Forgive any typos, I am typing between pains. I will be having gallblatter surgery next week. (I assume). I am still breastfeeding my 13 month old son about 4-6 times a day. I do not want to quit. So ADVICE.

I am needing information before I talk to the doctor. What mediciations I can take, and so forth. If anyone has had gallblatter surgery, how did you do it?

Any and all advice please.

Thanks

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmomma2
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Ooohh...I hope you feel better.  I wasn't BF at the time, but when I had my surgery it was out patient...in in the morning and out at noon.  Good luck!!

Be patient , kind, and understanding.  Be the mom.

Imamom4sure
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:01 PM

I had a gall bladder attack, the first one I rushed to the hospital in an ambulance, initally was midiagnosed, and couldnt' eat anything without getting another attack, but soon, and ended up with hepetitis and jaundice, went back and they wanted to do emergency gall bladder removal. I leaft against medical advice and luckily my girlfriend found me a naturalpath.  he made a remedy that cured me. (his name was Ayo Bankole) Anyway, I never had the surgery, all my liver enzymes normalized and I never had an attack again.

the ingredients of my remedy are sold in health food stores, and I will post the whole formula as soon as I find the old bottle, but the main ingredient and the only one you need is 

silymarin or milkthistle extract, its in the "tinture section" but don't take it the way the store recomends, take a much bigger dose, like two tablespoons every few hours or less for a couple of days, and I bet if you take it everyday and get your liver enzymes checked you will be back to normal and even your gall bladder will look fine too.

btw, the doctors still wanted to do surgery, even though I was fine, they claimed now that I am all better then I will recover faster, I just told them if I have any symptoms I will just take the remedy.

and its been many years now!

since then I have met a woman my size who had her pancreas nicked from the surgery and ended up insulin dependent, and other woman who have said that it gave them irritable bowl syndrome with tendency towards diareha.  

if you can avoid the surgery, I would.

I also was nursing a baby at the time, but nothing was working and I was in lots of pain so I almost had the surgery.  so I totally understand the agony.

palexander
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Another bit of information-they found gall stones. So it is not just an attack. 

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Stones cause the attacks. This is a no-biggie operation, really...it's typically done outpatient and not one thing you're given is a problem for breastfeeding. been there done that.

The real issue is that you cannot lift anything more than ten pounds in the first week or so. Expect to be pumping a lot.

vances_mom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:22 PM
Wow! 2010 must be the year of the gall stones! I'm having my surgery in the next week or so, too. My consult with the surgeon was today. I don't have any advise, just wanted to say good luck and I feel your pain! Tuesday my attack was caused by a FREAKING BANANA :(
MonLeighB
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:24 PM

My friend had this surgery while BFing. What she did to prepare was to pump a lot in advance so that she was prepared JUST IN CASE of complication and for after if she was too sore or tired to nurse so her hubby could help. I also came in and helped during the day because of the carry weight limit. Her baby was a newborn so she could carry either the baby OR the carseat but not both... OR the diaper bag. lol  (She tried to get away with the "I can carry 10lbs in each hand"... not true which is why I came during the day to make sure she wasn't overdoing herself). 

Good luck and good recovery! :)

vances_mom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:32 PM
Oh, and I wanted to add: as far as the anesthetic goes (to my knowlege) once you are awake, the drugs are no longer an issue. The half-life on them is very short. The drugs you get post-op should be ok, too (morphine, fentanyl, toradol). When you meet with the anesthesiologist to do the pre-op, ask what meds he will be giving you. Bring that list here and the med-mommies will be able to tell you if they're safe and what an alternative could be. That's what I'm going to be doing :)
ajzuell
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Great post i would like to know too!  I found out last year when my now 12month old was 3 months that i have gallstones, i had 1 attack and was told it's best to get my gallbladder removed.  But scary me backed out of surgery 3times!  Plus i was (and still am) breastfeeding and was worried that i wasn't gonna be able to after. But i know soon I'm gonna have to get it done. Good luck OP.  

Imamom4sure
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:26 PM

I had "sludge" in my gall bladder (lots of tiny grains of sand like stones)  and also, lots of folks live with gall stones and never have an attack or problems.  my mother has gall stones and never had any attack or symptoms so the doctor told her to leave them there.  so if you can stop the symptoms then why not try what I'm telling you to try? 

surgery normally is okay for many folks but not everybody, and I fear I would have been one of the not so lucky ones, and anyone potentially could be such a person, all I know is most folks tell me they have some kinds of digestion problems and diahreha.

my grandmother had the surgery and it didn't prevent or help her stop having stomach problems either.

I only share this information with you out of caring, my remedy would take away the pain with in days or less, so why not at least do it for pain relief? and potentially a lot easier than having to take a nursing break too.

Imamom4sure
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:36 PM

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gallstones/

Surgery

If you have gallstones without symptoms, you do not require treatment

it's not uncommon to have gallstones and not need surgery, I have sludge as I said earlier, which is many many tiny gall stones, and some of that sludge got lodged in the duct to my liver and that is why I ended up with hepetitis and jaundice, and many many incapaciting worse than labor kinds of attacks, like I said the first attack was so bad, I started screaming 911, I was told I needed emergency gall bladder surgery, it was so severe, that the doctors didnt' think I could wait for this surgery, and that is why they didn't want to send me home, I left against medical advice.

I'm thinking if your doctors think your surgery can wait then you have more time to normalize your body, and if you can also find that you will never need surgery. please try it.  I promise you, it can't hurt you and if I'm wrong and it doesnt' work, then have the surgery, I say, try it for just two days, at high doses. I bet you would probably feel better faster than that! (since I think you are not as bad off as I was when I was told I had to have the surgery. it hasn't blocked your liver yet. if you get cured, and your stones have no symptoms for the rest of your life then why remove them?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)