Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not responding to pumping?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:39 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hello ladies!

I had posted a little over a week ago telling ya'll how I was trying to relactate.  I've been pumping daily every 2 to 3 hours and having Ben latch on as often as he will.  I know that I've gotten some of my milk back because if I hand express, I get quite a bit of milk.  Sometimes I even spray!  But when I pump, I don't get hardly anything at all!  I used this same pump when I was pumping and supplementing before and I used to get around 2 oz a breast at a time.  Am I doing something wrong or have my breasts just decided no more to the pump?  HELP!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
AndiDurall
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Bump!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Norm is 1/2 oz to 2 oz total from a pumping session when not nursing...2 oz from each breast is an oversupply and that is common in the first few weeks/months of BFing.

Keep on going sweetie, you'll get there.

Think about getting a supplimental nursing system and do every feeding at the breast.  Have you tried BFing for 24 hours to see how diapers are??

AndiDurall
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:42 PM

First off, Thank you for responding.  I was starting to think no one was going to.  I can't get him to latch on all the time.  He's got a very little mouth and I have very flat nipples.  It took two weeks after he was born to get him to latch on at all!  He was starting to latch on pretty well towards the 5 week mark but still would get frustrated a lot of the time.  I'm trying very hard not to have him hate breastfeeding.  If I'm trying to latch him on and he starts hollaring and pushing away, I stop and feed him from the bottle.  This is the same way I got him to the breast in the beginning.  He is starting to latch a little more each day so I'm hoping that in the next couple weeks he will be good enough at it to try exclusively breastfeeding for a day to see how he does.  I would try a supplemental system but it wouldn't really help with the latching.  I've tried lactation consultants and nipple shells and even nipple shield things but it just comes down to him latching on before my nipple starts to flatten out again.  Do you think that me not getting anything out from the pump will mess up my supply?  I've been hand expressing also and he does latch on and feed some.  I know he's getting some breastmilk from me for one because his stools have changed back to the way they looked when he was getting mostly breastmilk.  I don't know if that is the best way to tell but when he was on strictly formula, they didn't look this way.  Do I need a different pump or should I just keep trying to latch him on and keep pumping and hand expressing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)