Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mastitis--still in pain??

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:46 PM
  • 2 Replies

So I came down with Mastitis on Saturday night. By yesterday morning I was severely ill I had a fever of 103.7 and my entire body felt like I'd been hit by a truck, my head was splitting, I was extremely nauseous (I do get this way when I get Mastitis) and my right breast felt like someone had kicked me repeatedly with a steel toe boot.

SO I called my OB on call and he called me in a script. I started antibiotics at noon yesterday. I've had 5 doses and will take my 6th dose in 15 minutes (every 6 hours).

When I nursed my son (for 26 months) I got Mastitis 7 times and every single time I felt fine within 24 hours of starting antibiotics. This is the FIRST time I got Mastitis with my daughter (she just turned 11 months old) and while I'm feeling better than I did yesterday I'm still feeling crappy and the pain in my right breast hasn't gotten any better. I still feel like someone has kicked me over and over with a steel toed boot on.

Is this normal?? I'm just wondering if I shouldn't call my doctor back. On top of everything else my antibiotic is making me really sick. Really nauseous and my stomach is burning like I swallowed fire. This is the worst case of Mastitis I've had!!

preview image  
Lilypie - (Q0na)

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Apr1l
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:30 PM

wow, that's crazy you've had mastitis 7 times...I've had it twice I cannot imagine 7 times, I hope you feel better soon! It doesn't hurt to just call up the doc and ask them.

Photobucket

KadenAlansMommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Have you tried warm and cold compresses? And did they give you the same antibiotic as before?

I had to stand in a hot shower and just let my milk run out when I had it. Its a horrible pain!

I hope you feel better! And I applaud you for sticking it out with nursing even though you have had mastitis so many times! Thats grounds for quitting!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)