Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

he said to give them MEAT!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:14 PM
  • 15 Replies

I am so looking for a new pediatrician- I've felt a little frustrated with my ped's directions up to this point, seems a little old school.  Well today we went for the boys 6 month check up and he said I could give them meat!!!  We just gave them some veggies for the first time yesterday (which I had just told him not a few min before he said that).  I've had it with him.  Just had to share my frustration!  Thanks for listening

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBloom777
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:17 PM

At 6 months old???  Do they have teeth?  That's kind of crazy.  At 6 months, I was just starting to introduce veggies & fruits to DS (and baby food style at that). 

I agree that if you're not comfortable with your dr, then yes definitely get a new one.

tayers
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:25 PM

LLL actually says that you can start meats after 6 months. Of course you want to start with soft foods and only introduce one new food a week.  I started my DD on solids about 6 1/2 months and we gradually worked our way to meats.  She only has her front 8 teeth but eats everything that we eat.  Meat is actually her favorite now.  She loves chicken and turkey.  It really depends on what you are comfortable with.  We have never done any kind of baby food and went right to table food.  kellymom.com actually has a list of what foods to introduce at what ages to avoid allergies.  I would say since you just started introducing solids I would wait for the meat as it is a little tougher.

celestegood
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:29 PM

I assume he meant baby food meat, as in strained and pureed.  Its ok to give a six month old meat if its babyfood.

calebsmama713
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Our pedi's did the same thing. At Lily's 4 month appts they gave me sheets saying you COULD give cereal, fruits & veggies etc. At 6 months they said you could give fish, red meat, pudding..basically anything and everything. They know how I am and I know how they are...they just give that pamphlet to everyone and it's just a suggestion and you're supposed to do what you want with it.

I'm not gonna lie. My daughter was 6.5 months old and eating stuffed green peppers with us lol. We waited until 6 months to introduce food and she took to it fine so we started letting her try what we had. She has been eating what we eat for MONTHS. I don't even make her baby food anymore she just gets what we get. She just turned 11 months on Friday.

Just remember--you don't EVER have to do what your doc says. It's just a suggestion and it's a smart thing to look into anything they suggest, do your own research on meds, treatments, food, vitamins etc. THEN make your OWN decision based on everything you've read. Doctors might be smart but they certainly do not "know all" and they don't know your child--YOU DO--so I wouldn't get too upset over him suggesting that cause a lot of doctors do. It's the "in thing" to do these days ;)

preview image  
Lilypie - (Q0na)

Pishyah
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Good choice, Momma!

purplemoosemom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:02 PM

I think different babies are ready at different times.  My youngest dd didn't start solids AT all until she was 8 1/2 months!  My oldest started around 4-5 months....and by 8-9 months was eating table food.  They're just different.

ready_for2
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:03 PM

whats the problem? you CAN give meat if you want. just because he says it is ok to doesnt mean you have to.

it IS ok. i gave it to my son.

doctors say we CAN do things all the time but of course that doesnt mean you have to or should. all babies are different.

mimi0884
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:37 PM

I agree- everybody starts things a different times.  I guess it was just a frustrating appt and the whole meat thing caught me off gaurd when he said to start them (not saying we could, saying we should) when I only started veggies yesterday.  How about give the kids some time to adjust!  In addition telling me to give one of my boys formula because he's not gaining weight like he should when he knows I only breastfeed them.  Thanks for listening

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

lifetimelove
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Yeah, saying you SHOULD was awfully stupid.  No baby SHOULD start any kind of food at 6 months, but they CAN.  Totally different things.  Especially since the common practice is to only start one new feed every 4-5 days.

But doctors can be awfully stupid about things like this.  I had one tell me (all in the same appointment) that:

I should push solids to help my FTT daughter even though she had severe developmental delays and a gag reflex so strong that she would vomit when food came close to her mouth

Delaying solids past 6 months increases the risk of food allergies

Delaying vaccinations makes them less effective

I should pump to see how my supply is

It was pointless to supplement with formula anyways, because she was too old to get on the bottle

And on and on.  Idiot.

Quoting mimi0884:

I agree- everybody starts things a different times.  I guess it was just a frustrating appt and the whole meat thing caught me off gaurd when he said to start them (not saying we could, saying we should) when I only started veggies yesterday.  How about give the kids some time to adjust!  In addition telling me to give one of my boys formula because he's not gaining weight like he should when he knows I only breastfeed them.  Thanks for listening

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

kurokitty21
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 3:37 AM

You should be the only one to determine what you're babies should and can have. Up until a year old they don't NEED anything but breastmilk. With my DD, there was no stopping her after 7 or 8 mos.  She's 2 /12 weeks away from a year old and still only has her two bottom teeth, btu she eats EVERYTHING. I don't mind at all because she loves to nurse and would take boob over anything else you put in front of her, but she does love her food. And she's been eatting small peices of meats along with veggies and such since about 7mos. It amazes me how she can chew with her gums lol. Also I never even did the jarred baby food. I think that has a lot to do with why she can chew so well, because I never gave her any other option. Like i gave her peices of avocados and bananas to start with and she just got the hang of it from there. Good luck! and just listen to your instincts :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)