Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

she's almost 8 months old and I think we're nearing the end. Need some advice, Please don't bash me for being a potential weaner!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:01 PM
  • 26 Replies

I am really really confused and cannot decide what to do. I am really in need of some advice. My daughter is almost 8 months old. I've been exclusively BF'ing her, and am a SAHM. She eats baby food, she eats applesauce, and I make her "superbaba's" that consist of water, rice cereal, oatmeal cereal I grind myself out of quaker oats oatmeal, vanilla yogurt or applesauce and a scoop of formula. She has about 2 of these a day and loves them. She is totally losing interest in BF'ing. Even in the middle of the night, she isn't interested. My breasts are deflating but my supply is adequate. The same thing happened with my son around 7 months of age. He just did not care less about nursing and my boobs turned into popped balloons. They did fill back out a few months after I stopped nursing him though.. His pediatrician said it was fine and I put him on whole milk at 7 mos of age.

Anyways, a couple of different ideas are going through my head. I considered setting a pumping schedule for myself and freezing the milk so I can give her 8oz bottles of breast milk instead of whole milk. And I considered giving up. LOL. My nursing tanks fit atrociously, I want to get rid of them. I don't mean to sound selfish or superficial but I am concerned about my breasts. To me it's almost like a sign that when they do this, we're about done nursing. However if I can stick to a pumping schedule I think I could rejuvenate them (lol) and my milk supply at the same time.

So, that's what's going through my head. Looking for advice, any ideas or suggestions etc.

Thank you in advance, Brandi

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Quoting whitrashwedding:

I am really really confused and cannot decide what to do. I am really in need of some advice. My daughter is almost 8 months old. I've been exclusively BF'ing her, and am a SAHM. She eats baby food, she eats applesauce, and I make her "superbaba's" that consist of water, rice cereal, oatmeal cereal I grind myself out of quaker oats oatmeal, vanilla yogurt or applesauce and a scoop of formula.Are these bottles?? She has about 2 of these a day and loves them. how many ounces??She is totally losing interest in BF'ing. Even in the middle of the night, she isn't interested.then shes getting too much in teh way of OTHER things, at this point 10-15% of your LOs diet should be solids or things other than BM. My breasts are deflating but my supply is adequate. The same thing happened with my son around 7 months of age. He just did not care less about nursing and my boobs turned into popped balloons. They did fill back out a few months after I stopped nursing him though.. His pediatrician said it was fine and I put him on whole milk at 7 mos of age.UMMM how about NO, find a new pediatrician that is insane. AAP says minimum of 12 months...why would he recommend something against AAP?

Anyways, a couple of different ideas are going through my head. I considered setting a pumping schedule for myself and freezing the milk so I can give her 8oz bottles of breast milk instead of whole milk. I would recommend small more often bottles, much of that BM will be passed without digesting the nutrients, BM bottles should be much smaller, BUT its better than cows milk.  Have you pumped recently?  MOst moms can't pump amuch at all by 8-9 monthsAnd I considered giving up.why?? there are many other options LOL. My nursing tanks fit atrociously, I want to get rid of them. I don't mean to sound selfish or superficial but I am concerned about my breasts. To me it's almost like a sign that when they do this, we're about done nursing. no its supply regulation, its normal and common at this point in the game.However if I can stick to a pumping schedule I think I could rejuvenate them (lol) and my milk supply at the same time.I bet supply is fine and baby is hitting a nursing strike, all the solids and other things are making it worse

So, that's what's going through my head. Looking for advice, any ideas or suggestions etc.

If you want to nurse, then do it!  Cut back on everything besides the BM and the breast.

If you want to pump go ahead and try but since EPing is very hard I recommend tryingt he breast.

Its totally up to you with what you do, but this is the normal and common actions for a child this age and in this situation.  If you want to turn it around you can, its up to you..this does NOT have to be the end if you don't want it to be!!!

whitrashwedding
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting whitrashwedding:

I am really really confused and cannot decide what to do. I am really in need of some advice. My daughter is almost 8 months old. I've been exclusively BF'ing her, and am a SAHM. She eats baby food, she eats applesauce, and I make her "superbaba's" that consist of water, rice cereal, oatmeal cereal I grind myself out of quaker oats oatmeal, vanilla yogurt or applesauce and a scoop of formula.Are these bottles?? yes. with cereal nipples. She has about 2 of these a day and loves them. how many ounces?? 6-8 She is totally losing interest in BF'ing. Even in the middle of the night, she isn't interested.then shes getting too much in teh way of OTHER things, at this point 10-15% of your LOs diet should be solids or things other than BM. K My breasts are deflating but my supply is adequate. The same thing happened with my son around 7 months of age. He just did not care less about nursing and my boobs turned into popped balloons. They did fill back out a few months after I stopped nursing him though.. His pediatrician said it was fine and I put him on whole milk at 7 mos of age.UMMM how about NO, find a new pediatrician that is insane. AAP says minimum of 12 months...why would he recommend something against AAP? Yeah I know 12 mos is the recommended age, I do have a new Ped and havent talked to him about it yet.

Anyways, a couple of different ideas are going through my head. I considered setting a pumping schedule for myself and freezing the milk so I can give her 8oz bottles of breast milk instead of whole milk. I would recommend small more often bottles, much of that BM will be passed without digesting the nutrients, BM bottles should be much smaller, BUT its better than cows milk.  Have you pumped recently?  MOst moms can't pump amuch at all by 8-9 months I havent tried pumping at all in the past 2 months but I think I could probably supress about 4 oz. And I considered giving up.why?? there are many other options It just really seems like she wouldn't miss it or be deprived of any essential dietary nurtients at this point. I guess I'm just really uncertain on what to do. But this is not a decision I will make hastily, I'm meditating on it. LOL. My nursing tanks fit atrociously, I want to get rid of them. I don't mean to sound selfish or superficial but I am concerned about my breasts. To me it's almost like a sign that when they do this, we're about done nursing. no its supply regulation, its normal and common at this point in the game. K However if I can stick to a pumping schedule I think I could rejuvenate them (lol) and my milk supply at the same time.I bet supply is fine and baby is hitting a nursing strike, all the solids and other things are making it worse I'm thinking I might start pumping once in the morning and once at night and see if my body 'gets with the program' lol

If you want to nurse, then do it!  Cut back on everything besides the BM and the breast.

If you want to pump go ahead and try but since EPing is very hard I recommend tryingt he breast.

Its totally up to you with what you do, but this is the normal and common actions for a child this age and in this situation.  If you want to turn it around you can, its up to you..this does NOT have to be the end if you don't want it to be!!!

You know, of course I don't want to stop...My goal was 12-18 months. Maybe I just need some encouraging words... I feel like if I weaned her now she wouldn't mind at all but then about 25% of the time I nurse her she just loves it and I wonder what I am thinking. Since I stopped nursing my son about 1 month prior to this point I must say, I am not familiar with the common nursing strike.
How long will it last?

owensmommy1122
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I compelely agree with Tabi. Cut back on solids and nurse and make sure when you do gives solids they are after nursing. And I just want to know if you are EBF then why do you put a scoop of formula in your mixture. Why not cut out the water and formula and put pumped milk in it? And NO to the milk before a year.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting whitrashwedding:

I am really really confused and cannot decide what to do. I am really in need of some advice. My daughter is almost 8 months old. I've been exclusively BF'ing her, and am a SAHM. She eats baby food, she eats applesauce, and I make her "superbaba's" that consist of water, rice cereal, oatmeal cereal I grind myself out of quaker oats oatmeal, vanilla yogurt or applesauce and a scoop of formula.Are these bottles?? She has about 2 of these a day and loves them. how many ounces??She is totally losing interest in BF'ing. Even in the middle of the night, she isn't interested.then shes getting too much in teh way of OTHER things, at this point 10-15% of your LOs diet should be solids or things other than BM. My breasts are deflating but my supply is adequate. The same thing happened with my son around 7 months of age. He just did not care less about nursing and my boobs turned into popped balloons. They did fill back out a few months after I stopped nursing him though.. His pediatrician said it was fine and I put him on whole milk at 7 mos of age.UMMM how about NO, find a new pediatrician that is insane. AAP says minimum of 12 months...why would he recommend something against AAP?

Anyways, a couple of different ideas are going through my head. I considered setting a pumping schedule for myself and freezing the milk so I can give her 8oz bottles of breast milk instead of whole milk. I would recommend small more often bottles, much of that BM will be passed without digesting the nutrients, BM bottles should be much smaller, BUT its better than cows milk.  Have you pumped recently?  MOst moms can't pump amuch at all by 8-9 monthsAnd I considered giving up.why?? there are many other options LOL. My nursing tanks fit atrociously, I want to get rid of them. I don't mean to sound selfish or superficial but I am concerned about my breasts. To me it's almost like a sign that when they do this, we're about done nursing. no its supply regulation, its normal and common at this point in the game.However if I can stick to a pumping schedule I think I could rejuvenate them (lol) and my milk supply at the same time.I bet supply is fine and baby is hitting a nursing strike, all the solids and other things are making it worse

whitrashwedding
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Quoting owensmommy1122:

I compelely agree with Tabi. Cut back on solids and nurse and make sure when you do gives solids they are after nursing. And I just want to know if you are EBF then why do you put a scoop of formula in your mixture. Why not cut out the water and formula and put pumped milk in it? And NO to the milk before a year.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting whitrashwedding:

tbh I was putting a scoop of the formula in just because somebody gave it to me when I was pregnant and I wanted to use it LOL. But I think that is a really good idea to use BM in the bottle instead of water. She really just pulls away from me after like 5 seconds every time I nurse her so right now I am leaning more toward pumping. That would kill 2 birds with one stone, she could get the cereal bottles so she loves so much and I could keep my supply up, way up. But of course I would still encourage her to nurse.

However I feel like with this strike, the little bit that she is willing to nurse isnt enough...

So does anybody know how long this strike is going to last?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Quoting whitrashwedding:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting whitrashwedding:

I am really really confused and cannot decide what to do. I am really in need of some advice. My daughter is almost 8 months old. I've been exclusively BF'ing her, and am a SAHM. She eats baby food, she eats applesauce, and I make her "superbaba's" that consist of water, rice cereal, oatmeal cereal I grind myself out of quaker oats oatmeal, vanilla yogurt or applesauce and a scoop of formula.Are these bottles?? yes. with cereal nipples. She has about 2 of these a day and loves them. how many ounces?? 6-8total or each, if each that is why She is totally losing interest in BF'ing. Even in the middle of the night, she isn't interested.then shes getting too much in teh way of OTHER things, at this point 10-15% of your LOs diet should be solids or things other than BM. Keasy fix... My breasts are deflating but my supply is adequate. The same thing happened with my son around 7 months of age. He just did not care less about nursing and my boobs turned into popped balloons. They did fill back out a few months after I stopped nursing him though.. His pediatrician said it was fine and I put him on whole milk at 7 mos of age.UMMM how about NO, find a new pediatrician that is insane. AAP says minimum of 12 months...why would he recommend something against AAP? Yeah I know 12 mos is the recommended age, I do have a new Ped and havent talked to him about it yet.wonderful!

Anyways, a couple of different ideas are going through my head. I considered setting a pumping schedule for myself and freezing the milk so I can give her 8oz bottles of breast milk instead of whole milk. I would recommend small more often bottles, much of that BM will be passed without digesting the nutrients, BM bottles should be much smaller, BUT its better than cows milk.  Have you pumped recently?  MOst moms can't pump amuch at all by 8-9 months I havent tried pumping at all in the past 2 months but I think I could probably supress about 4 oz.very doubtful, norm is 1/2 oz to 2 oz total a session every 2 hours..more than that is RARE And I considered giving up.why?? there are many other options It just really seems like she wouldn't miss it or be deprived of any essential dietary nurtients at this point.OH yeah she would, BM is essential at this point 4-5 nursings a day minimum or 24 oz of formula, its a MUST, solids can not make up for BM or formula I guess I'm just really uncertain on what to do. But this is not a decision I will make hastily, I'm meditating on it.good for you, it is a BIG decision LOL. My nursing tanks fit atrociously, I want to get rid of them. I don't mean to sound selfish or superficial but I am concerned about my breasts. To me it's almost like a sign that when they do this, we're about done nursing. no its supply regulation, its normal and common at this point in the game. K However if I can stick to a pumping schedule I think I could rejuvenate them (lol) and my milk supply at the same time.I bet supply is fine and baby is hitting a nursing strike, all the solids and other things are making it worse I'm thinking I might start pumping once in the morning and once at night and see if my body 'gets with the program' lolpumping takes serious dedication, serious dedication WAY more than nursing.  To maintain a supply is 2-3 hours daytime and 3-4 hours nighttime pumping..whereas nursing is MUCH less, this is why I say to try to cut back on solids and continue nursing

You know, of course I don't want to stop...My goal was 12-18 months. GOOD FOR YOU!! YOu can do it!!!!Maybe I just need some encouraging words... I feel like if I weaned her now she wouldn't mind at all She may not but her BODY needs it, its the BEST thing you can do for her..sometimes you have to work harder to give your kids what they should have...think toddler would rathr have candy than veggies...but you don't give them that option right.  Well BM is priority now solids are just extra so if you work at making BM the priority(or formula if you choose) then your LO will get the nutrition neededbut then about 25% of the time I nurse her she just loves it and I wonder what I am thinking.normal for a baby her age to get distracted and NOT be in love with nursing..common and NORMAL Since I stopped nursing my son about 1 month prior to this point I must say, I am not familiar with the common nursing strike.
How long will it last?depends on if mom refuses to let baby "WIN" lol..its a game of wills at this moment, heres info on it

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html

GOOD LUCK you can do it, we had this issue at 4 and 8-9 months...but the 4 month one was only for 3-4 hours, the 9 month one was a few weeks of us cutting solids and offering the breast often but it passed.

owensmommy1122
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Cereal in a bottle?? Isnt that a big no no!! It's a choking hazard. I am not sure about nursing strikes....honestly I dont think my son ever went through them. Just cut out most of the solids and nurse nurse nurse. You can do it momma....just stick to it!

Quoting whitrashwedding:

tbh I was putting a scoop of the formula in just because somebody gave it to me when I was pregnant and I wanted to use it LOL. But I think that is a really good idea to use BM in the bottle instead of water. She really just pulls away from me after like 5 seconds every time I nurse her so right now I am leaning more toward pumping. That would kill 2 birds with one stone, she could get the cereal bottles so she loves so much and I could keep my supply up, way up. But of course I would still encourage her to nurse.

However I feel like with this strike, the little bit that she is willing to nurse isnt enough...

So does anybody know how long this strike is going to last?

Mommy8271120
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:49 PM

BUMP for later

whitrashwedding
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting whitrashwedding:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting whitrashwedding:

I am really really confused and cannot decide what to do. I am really in need of some advice. My daughter is almost 8 months old. I've been exclusively BF'ing her, and am a SAHM. She eats baby food, she eats applesauce, and I make her "superbaba's" that consist of water, rice cereal, oatmeal cereal I grind myself out of quaker oats oatmeal, vanilla yogurt or applesauce and a scoop of formula.Are these bottles?? yes. with cereal nipples. She has about 2 of these a day and loves them. how many ounces?? 6-8total or each, if each that is why She is totally losing interest in BF'ing. Even in the middle of the night, she isn't interested.then shes getting too much in teh way of OTHER things, at this point 10-15% of your LOs diet should be solids or things other than BM. Keasy fix... My breasts are deflating but my supply is adequate. The same thing happened with my son around 7 months of age. He just did not care less about nursing and my boobs turned into popped balloons. They did fill back out a few months after I stopped nursing him though.. His pediatrician said it was fine and I put him on whole milk at 7 mos of age.UMMM how about NO, find a new pediatrician that is insane. AAP says minimum of 12 months...why would he recommend something against AAP? Yeah I know 12 mos is the recommended age, I do have a new Ped and havent talked to him about it yet.wonderful!

Anyways, a couple of different ideas are going through my head. I considered setting a pumping schedule for myself and freezing the milk so I can give her 8oz bottles of breast milk instead of whole milk. I would recommend small more often bottles, much of that BM will be passed without digesting the nutrients, BM bottles should be much smaller, BUT its better than cows milk.  Have you pumped recently?  MOst moms can't pump amuch at all by 8-9 months I havent tried pumping at all in the past 2 months but I think I could probably supress about 4 oz.very doubtful, norm is 1/2 oz to 2 oz total a session every 2 hours..more than that is RARE And I considered giving up.why?? there are many other options It just really seems like she wouldn't miss it or be deprived of any essential dietary nurtients at this point.OH yeah she would, BM is essential at this point 4-5 nursings a day minimum or 24 oz of formula, its a MUST, solids can not make up for BM or formula I guess I'm just really uncertain on what to do. But this is not a decision I will make hastily, I'm meditating on it.good for you, it is a BIG decision LOL. My nursing tanks fit atrociously, I want to get rid of them. I don't mean to sound selfish or superficial but I am concerned about my breasts. To me it's almost like a sign that when they do this, we're about done nursing. no its supply regulation, its normal and common at this point in the game. K However if I can stick to a pumping schedule I think I could rejuvenate them (lol) and my milk supply at the same time.I bet supply is fine and baby is hitting a nursing strike, all the solids and other things are making it worse I'm thinking I might start pumping once in the morning and once at night and see if my body 'gets with the program' lolpumping takes serious dedication, serious dedication WAY more than nursing.  To maintain a supply is 2-3 hours daytime and 3-4 hours nighttime pumping..whereas nursing is MUCH less, this is why I say to try to cut back on solids and continue nursing

You know, of course I don't want to stop...My goal was 12-18 months. GOOD FOR YOU!! YOu can do it!!!!Maybe I just need some encouraging words... I feel like if I weaned her now she wouldn't mind at all She may not but her BODY needs it, its the BEST thing you can do for her..sometimes you have to work harder to give your kids what they should have...think toddler would rathr have candy than veggies...but you don't give them that option right.  Well BM is priority now solids are just extra so if you work at making BM the priority(or formula if you choose) then your LO will get the nutrition neededbut then about 25% of the time I nurse her she just loves it and I wonder what I am thinking.normal for a baby her age to get distracted and NOT be in love with nursing..common and NORMAL Since I stopped nursing my son about 1 month prior to this point I must say, I am not familiar with the common nursing strike.
How long will it last?depends on if mom refuses to let baby "WIN" lol..its a game of wills at this moment, heres info on it

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html

GOOD LUCK you can do it, we had this issue at 4 and 8-9 months...but the 4 month one was only for 3-4 hours, the 9 month one was a few weeks of us cutting solids and offering the breast often but it passed.

Last time I pumped which I am going to say was about 5 weeks ago I was able to supress 4oz, and the last time I pumped before that was again about 5 weeks so maybe I'm lucky...I guess we'll find out. Knowing 1-2 oz is average, I'd feel pretty good about myself if I were able to pump 4oz. And that so did not take me 3-4 hours. It took me maybe 20 min but I do have a really good dual side pump.

And, I do appreciate the info on the smaller bottles. Yes, I was giving her 6-8 oz full bottles twice a day, so 12-16 oz of ceral daily. Now that I think about it no wonder she doesnt want to nurse when she can gorge on those!

Oh, and 24oz of formula a day! bleck. Idk why but that totally grosses me out. I have a friend who goes through a can of the crap like every 2 days and Idk why it just gives me the heebie jeebies. Luckily I'm only halfway through the first and only can I've ever used. Well, it's going in the trash.

I'll read up on that link too.

Thanks so much TabiCat! Mamas like you are the reason I ~heart~ CafeMom~

LeanneC
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:33 PM

What on earth are the super-baba's about?  Was she not making diapers... or some other reason to supplement?

It seems like you've already gotten the help you need, but just going to echo here... cut out those bottles completely, cut back on solids and nurse on demand.  Nurse her to sleep, nurse whenever she makes a peep.  Getting her to associate nursing with comfort will keep her nursing through distractable phases and cutting out all the extra stuff she doesn't need will get her to take most of her nutrition from nursing as well.

You know what to do here.  She's too young to wean and you know that otherwise you wouldn't be asking for help.   Don't be afraid to do whatever you need to get her nursing again, you're mom, you make the calls.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Quoting whitrashwedding:

Last time I pumped which I am going to say was about 5 weeks ago I was able to supress 4oz, and the last time I pumped before that was again about 5 weeks so maybe I'm lucky...I guess we'll find out. Knowing 1-2 oz is average, I'd feel pretty good about myself if I were able to pump 4oz. And that so did not take me 3-4 hours. It took me maybe 20 min but I do have a really good dual side pump.

And, I do appreciate the info on the smaller bottles. Yes, I was giving her 6-8 oz full bottles twice a day, so 12-16 oz of ceral daily. Now that I think about it no wonder she doesnt want to nurse when she can gorge on those!NO KIDDING!! :-)

Oh, and 24oz of formula a day! bleck. Idk why but that totally grosses me out.me too, glad I am not alone..my older 2 were FF babies and formula still grosses me out I have a friend who goes through a can of the crap like every 2 days and Idk why it just gives me the heebie jeebies. Luckily I'm only halfway through the first and only can I've ever used. Well, it's going in the trash.yeah read about whats IN formula..you'll never want to use it again if its NOT necessary(there are reasons for formula..just for others reading not bashing choices)

I'll read up on that link too.

Thanks so much TabiCat! Mamas like you are the reason I ~heart~ CafeMom~THANK you made my night, if  it weren't for cafemom I would've given up like I did my older 2 kids!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)