Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Riddle me this...

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:43 PM
  • 10 Replies

I think it's interesting when people try to tell me that feeding my 2 month old and rocking him before naps and bedtime will be a habit that's hard to break later on....First...come on...he's 2 months...second-who doesn't love a snack and some cuddlin' before bedtime?  I can't go to bed without a snack and my husband and I having some alone time...does that mean it's a bad habit on my part?  I guess I just don't see the problem with my child wanting to be rocked before bedtime..even when he's 2, 3, etc-I know I'll love the extra cuddling at that point.

And just to make one other observation-I still like to be "cuddled" by my mother and she will still sometimes rub my back when I don't feel well...so there...

Just a vent-I know people mean well-it can just be frustrating :)

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Bria
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Let me just say..I nursed my baby EVERY NIGHT in a rocking chair until she was sleepy or asleep! I weaned her a month ago,(she was 16 MO) and thats when our rocking chair time ended....Am I sad!! Hell ya!! I loved that 10-15 minutes alone with her!! Instead of rocking chair time we read stories, we give night night kisses, I change her diaper and put her in her crib! She rolls over and goes to sleep!! So rock your baby to sleep!! Screw everyone who tells you otherwise!! haha! OK...my vent is over lol! 

breastfeedingbaby girlin loveexpecting baby~*~Holly~*~

Lilypie Maternity tickers
MsKrisShively
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:00 PM

You are the mommy! You know your baby best! When people talk, they are speaking in generalizations... Your baby is not a statistic... I feel that my time with my baby is so short, that I am going to cuddle and snuggle her as much as I can while she will still let me... I know soon enough she will not want me to hold her... I will take it while I can get it! Do you know many teens who need their mommies to feed and rock them to sleep? I don't think so! Follow your gut!

RobynS
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:04 PM

My DD is almost 14 months and I still nurse her to sleep. If she's had enough milk and still hasn't fallen asleep, I rock her. Isn't that the way it's been done for centuries? Rock-a-by baby and all that? LOL

KadenAlansMommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:06 PM

When people tell me I have created a bad habit... I say to hell with them! My baby is happy! He giggles and smiles all the time so I'm not doing anything wrong! The only one who may suffer in the end is me! He's 10 months and he nurses to sleep and he co sleeps most of the night (usually because I am too tired to nurse him and lay him back down)! I am SOOOO tired on people telling me this that and something else! Do it with your child, but I don't choose to do so with mine. People always say, let him cry himself to sleep. I say, NO! I don't like crying myself to sleep and I don't cry because my mom left me in my bed alone and I don't understand why! One day he will learn to sleep on his own. Until then, I'm going to savor every bit of snuggle time I can get in because before I know it, he'll be having friends sleep over and then staying at their house and then shortly after, he'll want NOTHING to do with me for a few years!

Mom_Meof2
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Rocking your child to sleep is no different then your choice to give a baby a bottle,pacifier,co sleeping or letting them pal around with a blankie in tow. I have two little ones both breast fed and both "spoiled" by rocking! My oldest has just turned three and has been rocked ever since I can remember.. and now she climbs in the chair with her 15 month old little brother and helps me put him to sleep as he eats. I dont feel it to be a bad idea or of any inconveniance to my children or myself. Both my children know that when its time for bed they get their blankets and a book or two and climb up in the chair and let me read to them. Honestly I believe it has helped with jealousy between the two b/c they know that they both get to sit and cuddle with mommy and each other. I KNOW it has helped them to both become more affectionate and over all has helped them become as close as they are. Besides it was something I enjoyed as a child, I loved to rock with my father and cuddle under a blanket in his chair and Im glad that my children also get to experience the closeness! So listen to your gut and the wise women of this group! ROCK YOUR BABY TILL YOU CANT ROCK ANYMORE!!!

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Nursing and snuggling our babies to sleep is very normal and natural.. we have been doing it for years! This time with your baby is precious, so treasure every second! 

Mia ~  Breastfeeding Moms Group Moderator

vances_mom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:53 PM
DS is almost 3y/o (and was FF) and we still rock him before bed. It's part of his bedtime routine and it's my favorite part of the day. We get to just sit together for a few minutes and I ask him about his day and tell him what we're gonna do the next day. I know that he won't want to rock when he's 10 (or maybe he will!) So I'm enjoying my snuggle time while I can.
Pandana
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Nursing and snuggling our babies to sleep is very normal and natural.. we have been doing it for years! This time with your baby is precious, so treasure every second! 

This.

It's just our culture these days. It's all about convenience and independence for the PARENTS. We've been conditioned now to believe that if we baby our babies too much that it will somehow be detrimental to them, but in reality I think it's rooted in the fear it'll take away from US and OUR freedom......which is unnatural, as far as I'm concerned. That's what we do as parents. Our kids come first. I understand that if, for example, a child co-sleeping into toddlerhood has disrupted intimacy to the point that it's hurting the relationship between the parents, then of course it isn't healthy for the family as a whole. But it irritates me to no end that, regardless of the circumstances, we've been raised to believe now days that forced independence is what's healthy and "normal" for our babies and that they'll never BE normal if we don't override instinct and biology and turn them into mini-adults that won't screw with our schedules. How completely asinine........

Ashleighrose
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:01 AM
You rock!! My almost 6 year old still cuddles with me EVERY night without fail to fall asleep. I rub her back EVERY night to fall asleep. I BF her until a year and we never forced her to fall asleep on her own. I LOVE being close to her. We always ask her "when you get married is mommy still going to rub your back?" She always says "YES!" LOL obviously that's not realistic but shit, if it makes for a healthier/happier mother/child relationship then whatever. I think in the long run it will make the child closer to you and more open and honest with you. Trust you more. Anyhow, you cuddle with him as looooong as you want to!! 
Daynaof3
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Quoting Pandana:

Quoting catholicmamamia:

This.

It's just our culture these days. It's all about convenience and independence for the PARENTS. We've been conditioned now to believe that if we baby our babies too much that it will somehow be detrimental to them, but in reality I think it's rooted in the fear it'll take away from US and OUR freedom......which is unnatural, as far as I'm concerned. That's what we do as parents. Our kids come first. I understand that if, for example, a child co-sleeping into toddlerhood has disrupted intimacy to the point that it's hurting the relationship between the parents, then of course it isn't healthy for the family as a whole. But it irritates me to no end that, regardless of the circumstances, we've been raised to believe now days that forced independence is what's healthy and "normal" for our babies and that they'll never BE normal if we don't override instinct and biology and turn them into mini-adults that won't screw with our schedules. How completely asinine........

Lol, having kids at all disrupts intimacy! Co-sleeping helps keep sex life spicy and creative! ; )

I agree, there's such a push to make our children independant when they don't need to be and shouldn't have to be. I saw something that said this may well be the reason there are so many violent crimes in the U.S., it's not normal to do most of what Americans are told is good for their children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)