Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!! thrush and yeast infections in the breast

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:55 PM
  • 4 Replies

I am breastfeeding my 8week old boy,since i have brought him home he has had thrush. He's been treated with oral medicine, the violet dye twice, and now since right before  Christmas he is on the oral treatment again. He has had only two pin sized drops on his gum line but the doctor doesn't think its a big deal. I on the other hand have very uncomfortable itchy experience. i enjoy the bond with my son and don't want to stop, But the lotrimin, and prescription creams, and prescription pills aren't working. Any advise is well appreciated.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
KadenAlansMommy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I copied and pasted these but my sister in law did both with my nephew! He was the purple tongued baby for months because of thrush!

GOOD LUCK!

TEA TREE OIL

For breastfeeding moms - Use a couple of drops of pure tea tree oil mixed with coconut oil or olive oil and apply to the nipples after each feeding. Gently rinse nipples in warm water and pat dry before feeding when using tea tree oil applications. Although it is not dangerous in such small quantities, it has a very strong smell and taste.

GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT

Mix one ounce of water with 10 drops of liquid Grapefruit Seed Extract.

Use this solution about once an hour on mom's nipples and to swab the inside of baby's mouth, especially the inside of the cheeks, where thrush tends to proliferate.

Swab baby's mouth before nursing, but apply the grapefruit seed extract solution to your nipples after nursing. This will prevent your nipples from tasting bitter during nursing.

Mom_Meof2
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:41 PM

First off I would just like to say that both of my babies had thrush.. one was due to a medication she was on and the other one had it b/c of the meds I was put on after surgery. Thrush can be tricky.. Im sure your pediatrician has advised you to wash the dropper with hot water after every single administration b/c it could be how the baby keeps getting thrush. Along with washing the dropper make sure before each feeding to get a hot WHITE washcloth and and some mild soap wash the area of your breast that comes into contact with the babys mouth. After washing your breast take a little bit of the oral meds for the baby and put it on your nipple so as the baby suckles he is also getting a treatment. This may also help with the irratation to the breast area even tho it may be a little sticky! Also... thrush is simply a yeast infection and sugar counter acts yeast so maybe adding a little bit more sugar to your diet or eating a little more yogurt can counter the infection as well as maybe giving baby a little bit of sugar water,if you dont use a bottle at all take a little bit on a Q-Tip and rub the inside of the babies cheeks,baby's tongue and gum line. I know these were all tricks I tried and they certainly helped me! Good Luck!

CAMOMOMMY6988
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 4:57 PM

I just want to thank you for responding to my post. I will try all of the remedies and let everyone know if they have helped me. Thank you its nice to have the extra advice and know that i<m not the only mom out there with this problem!

Camo mom of two!

cmiller83
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Quoting Mom_Meof2:

First off I would just like to say that both of my babies had thrush.. one was due to a medication she was on and the other one had it b/c of the meds I was put on after surgery. Thrush can be tricky.. Im sure your pediatrician has advised you to wash the dropper with hot water after every single administration b/c it could be how the baby keeps getting thrush. Along with washing the dropper make sure before each feeding to get a hot WHITE washcloth and and some mild soap wash the area of your breast that comes into contact with the babys mouth. After washing your breast take a little bit of the oral meds for the baby and put it on your nipple so as the baby suckles he is also getting a treatment. This may also help with the irratation to the breast area even tho it may be a little sticky! Also... thrush is simply a yeast infection and sugar counter acts yeast so maybe adding a little bit more sugar to your diet or eating a little more yogurt can counter the infection as well as maybe giving baby a little bit of sugar water,if you dont use a bottle at all take a little bit on a Q-Tip and rub the inside of the babies cheeks,baby's tongue and gum line. I know these were all tricks I tried and they certainly helped me! Good Luck!

Sugar FEEDS yeast.....Have you ever made bread?? You add sugar and hot water to the yeast to activate it... SUGAR WILL MAKE THINGS WORSE!!!!

If you want to try yogurt you are going to have to deal with the nasty plain yogurts with NO sugar added or you're not doing yourself anygood. Instead of yogurt I would head to Fred Meyer and pick up a probiotic...PB8. That should help you with any symptoms as well. You can get an infant probiotic but I know nothing about them and would advise talking to the ped before giving him anything.

Included in washing the dropper should be ANYTHING the baby chews or sucks on...ANYTHING. Wash it daily and if you can boil it or bleach it.  I too am fighting a yeast infection right now and it STINKS big time...not any fun at all!

Check http://www.kellymom.com/ as well for suggestions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)