Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seeking tips and words of encouragement to wean my 19-month old

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:09 PM
  • 5 Replies

My 19-month old is a frequent night nurser. He wakes up multiple times to nurse. During the day, he is ok going without nursing as long as he doesn't see me. I work full-time so he is ok during the weekdays, but on weekends he wants to nurse constantly even during daytime.

I want to start off this weaning process by weaning at night. How should I go about doing that? I know I am in for a ton of crying, so I wanted to hear some success stories? Oh...and having dad doing night duty is not an option for me. I will need to be the one working on night weaning him.

And I do want to wean knowing that it will take good 5-6 months to completely wean him off.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lorettachick
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I don't have any advice but bump for ya!

Check out my health/fitness blog!

http://www.runrettarun.blogspot.com/

1moremakes5
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:23 PM

I followed my peds suggestion. she told me to put her to bed in her own room away from me and and have a bed time routine,bath,book,cuddle, nurse ect... then its down for bed and then leave the room. if you have a monitor then listen from there or go to the door once in a while just to check. the key is NOT TO TAKE THEM OUT OF THE CRIB. yes there will be crying but he doesn't need the nursing during the night anymore. after a few day to a week things should be fine. be strong! its hard but the best thing for him. it only took 4 day and my dd was sleeping through the night. Good Luck!good

owensmommy1122
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:37 PM

i am trying to night wean my 26 month old right now. i was going to say have daddy do night duty but you said that isnt an option. thats what is working for us. we also do this http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp hopefully that will help you. it has been working for us so far. this might help too http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-night.html good luck momma!

LeanneC
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:47 PM

What I did when I night weaned my first was to first put on 3 shirts (more to remind myself!) and then I talked to him about how he had to be a big boy and go to bed without boobie.  I told him boobie was going night-night and that he needed to go night-night too.  We talked about it for about a week at bedtime (before hand)and then I just held him while he cried.  I sang to him and talked to him about all the people that love him and about what we did that day and about what the plans were for the next day.   I didn't think he'd fall asleep that first night, but he eventually calmed down and drifted off.  When he woke during the night, I'd rub his back a little and he's go back to sleep right away.  He was more interested in sleep than nursing by that point.  Took about 3 nights and it got easier... I think we had a little crying at bedtime for maybe 2 weeks total (All in-arms, not alone).  After a couple months, I started putting him back in his own bed to start the night (he'd still come to ours at 5am... which was fine).

He was 24 months.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 19, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Are you co-sleeping? Usually the best way to night wean is to remove baby from the source...that's how it worked here. No more co-sleeping, no more night nursing.

Not that it meant SLEEPING. Weaning never means sleeping.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)