• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is a 6 am feeding considered a night feeding?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:20 AM
  • 7 Replies

My 7 month old son sleeps for 9 hours straight at night (YAY!) from 8pm-5pm or 9pm-6pm.   When he wakes up, he seems really hungry.  Should I try to wean him to have his first meal a few hours later, or is a 5am or 6am feeding a good time for a first meal of the day?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MamaJen74
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:24 AM

I'm not sure I'm totally following the question but I don't think 6 a.m. is too early for breakfast.

misty82
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:27 AM

I would not expect him to go any longer than 9 hours.  My son nursed at night several times until he weaned at 17 months.  No, I don not think 6am is a night feeding!  My son is 25 months and expects breakfast after sleeping 8 hours.

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:16 AM

Quoting mamatuesday: My 7 month old son sleeps for 9 hours straight at night (YAY!) from 8pm-5pm or 9pm-6pm.   Did you mean to say 5 and 6 AM?

When he wakes up, he seems really hungry.  I can imagine!

Should I try to wean him to have his first meal a few hours later, or is a 5am or 6am feeding a good time for a first meal of the day? It is a fine time for the first meal of the day, it is good that you are nursing your baby well first thing in the morning. Keep up the good work of nursing on demand!  :o)

Mia ~  Breastfeeding Moms Group Moderator

erinj
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:34 AM

Does he go back to sleep after you feed him or is he up for the day?  My son used to sleep from 8pm-8am but now sleeps from 7pm-5am he eats and then sleeps for a few more hours.  Just nurse him on demand and he will be fine, no need to ween.

mamatuesday
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:39 AM

oopsie!  yes!  I meant 5am/6am =)  Thanks for replying!

mamatuesday
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:43 AM

Quoting erinj:

Does he go back to sleep after you feed him or is he up for the day?  My son used to sleep from 8pm-8am but now sleeps from 7pm-5am he eats and then sleeps for a few more hours.  Just nurse him on demand and he will be fine, no need to ween.

He often goes back to sleep for three more hours after I feed him, but sometimes he's up for the day.  It sounds really similar to your experience with your son.  Thanks Erin =)  It feels good and very comforting to hear I'm not alone

erinj
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Quoting mamatuesday:

Quoting erinj:

He often goes back to sleep for three more hours after I feed him, but sometimes he's up for the day.  It sounds really similar to your experience with your son.  Thanks Erin =)  It feels good and very comforting to hear I'm not alone

no problem!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)