• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you over feed a BF baby? Please someone answer..

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:29 AM
  • 11 Replies

My son might be going through a growth spurt but he's eating A LOT. Sometimes 6oz at a time. I was gone a lot this week and my son ate 6oz of formula. (We wont even get into how mad I was about that) but anyway back to the breast.. He's eating constantly. Nursing. Bottles.. It just started last night. He was up until 6am. He seems really stressed. His fists are clinched. He' breathing hard and quickly but not in a dangerous way. Is he over tired and eating to sleep? I ask that because last night he was so tired his eye were red. He was trying to sleep and then would wake up. He was very upset and frustrated. I figured he was over fed forumla by my husband.

What can I do to help him be comfortable? Can he be over fed? What should I do?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steph2884
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:33 AM

Sometimes they will eat more than they should and spit up, but in general a baby will only eat what they need and no more. How old is your baby? They generally have a big spurt at 3 months. I just went through this with my daughter. She was living on me for a few days, and not sleeping much. She was also quite cranky. I would say just keep feeding on demand. It usually lasts a few days and they end up sleeping it off, which is what my daughter is doing right now. If it continues you should call up the doctor for a more professional opinion ;)

Daynaof3
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:33 AM

Honest answer, stop all bottles and nurse on demand. Of course if you are working this may not be possible so just remember that your baby only needs 1-1.5 ounces for each hour you are separated.

Yes you can overfeed from a bottle. From the breast no. Google the 5 S's and show it to dad.

stpalmsgirl
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:36 AM

No you can not overfeed a breastfeed baby, but your baby seems to not only be breastfeed so yeah it is very possible he is overfeed with formula. That happened to my dd in the hospital, they kept telling me that colostrum was not enough for her because she was a big baby and I didn't know better, so I let them feed her formula. They gave my 1day old baby 5 oz of formula at once and she was up and screaming all night, her belly was hard as a rock. Needless to say that was the last time I let them do it and it never happened again. Breast Milk is a lot easier to digest then formula and babies will stop when they are full with breast milk . Is there are reason why you are feeding formula? If not maybe you could have hubby feed her pumped breastmilk in a bottle.

Tabzthemommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:38 AM

He's 4 weeks today.

Quoting steph2884:

Sometimes they will eat more than they should and spit up, but in general a baby will only eat what they need and no more. How old is your baby? They generally have a big spurt at 3 months. I just went through this with my daughter. She was living on me for a few days, and not sleeping much. She was also quite cranky. I would say just keep feeding on demand. It usually lasts a few days and they end up sleeping it off, which is what my daughter is doing right now. If it continues you should call up the doctor for a more professional opinion ;)

Tabzthemommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:41 AM

We don't formula feed. My husband was being lazy and didn't want to warm up my breast milk bottle in the fridge. My mother is ill and I was at her house because she couldn't be alone. I've been in and out for 3 days and unable to nurse on demand. The only reason we even have formula in my house is because the hospital sent it home with us.

Quoting stpalmsgirl:

No you can not overfeed a breastfeed baby, but your baby seems to not only be breastfeed so yeah it is very possible he is overfeed with formula. That happened to my dd in the hospital, they kept telling me that colostrum was not enough for her because she was a big baby and I didn't know better, so I let them feed her formula. They gave my 1day old baby 5 oz of formula at once and she was up and screaming all night, her belly was hard as a rock. Needless to say that was the last time I let them do it and it never happened again. Breast Milk is a lot easier to digest then formula and babies will stop when they are full with breast milk . Is there are reason why you are feeding formula? If not maybe you could have hubby feed her pumped breastmilk in a bottle.

jeng1980
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:24 AM

HUGS!  You cannot overfeed a BF baby.  With his breathing and eyes being red, he may have a little cold.  BF babies tend to nurse for comfort when they are not feeling well.  It could also just be a growth spurt.  Get used to them.  It's hard during them but you'll be really glad you stuck through it when it is over.  You'll also look back and think, oh it wasn't that bad.

Oh yeah, either hide the formula or DUMP it in the trash.  Tell hubby not to be doing that anymore.  I agree that you should print out the 5 Ss for him and make sure he reads it.

Jennifer Gooden-Mom to three beautiful children
Breastfeeding Moms Group Moderator
www.cafemom.com/breastfeedingmoms

Candi1024
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Is there anyway you could bring the baby? Babies that young usually don't need much attention, and it's such a critical time to get your nursing relationship in order.

Quoting Tabzthemommy:

We don't formula feed. My husband was being lazy and didn't want to warm up my breast milk bottle in the fridge. My mother is ill and I was at her house because she couldn't be alone. I've been in and out for 3 days and unable to nurse on demand. The only reason we even have formula in my house is because the hospital sent it home with us.

Quoting stpalmsgirl:

lifetimelove
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Throw the formula away.  If you feel like you HAVE to leave the baby, leave 1 ounce for every hour you're away and have DH figure out how to comfort without sticking a bottle in his mouth.  Dads seem to think that the bottle is the only way to comfort.  *eye roll*

But at four weeks, honestly I'd be taking him with you.  They're pretty low maintenance at this age and you should be pumping when you'd need to nurse anyways, so you might as well have that baby there.  Take a bouncy seat to keep him in when you need to take care of your mother, and just hold him and nurse him when he needs the attention (or wear him around in a sling when you're taking care of things). 

And he might be stressed from the formula - it's pretty hard on the tummy.  Give your hubby a good wack behind the head for sabatoguing you and throw the formula a way.

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:05 PM
At the breast...NEVER.
Quoting Tabzthemommy:

My son might be going through a growth spurt but he's eating A LOT. Sometimes 6oz at a time. I was gone a lot this week and my son ate 6oz of formula. (We wont even get into how mad I was about that) but anyway back to the breast.. He's eating constantly. Nursing.

NORMAL NORMAL NORMAL. Go with it. This is where he's supposed to be glued to your breast.

Bottles..

PLEASE don't do the bottles...that will extend this period. No bottles. REALLY.

It just started last night. He was up until 6am. He seems really stressed. His fists are clinched. He' breathing hard and quickly but not in a dangerous way. Is he over tired and eating to sleep?

A little bit. Just put him to breast...it's a soother.

I ask that because last night he was so tired his eye were red. He was trying to sleep and then would wake up. He was very upset and frustrated. I figured he was over fed forumla by my husband.

Quite possible. It upset his tummy.

What can I do to help him be comfortable? Can he be over fed?

Overfeeding with bottles is COMMON. Six ounces...was thaty one feeding/. Too much. Three ounces per bottle...less is even better. But the formula probably upset his tummy so I'd throw it out.

What should I do?

Tell hubby food is LAST RESPONSE. It helps to avoid overfeeding.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:07 PM
Quoting Tabzthemommy:

We don't formula feed. My husband was being lazy and didn't want to warm up my breast milk bottle in the fridge.

Fifty lashes for dad. Formula is more work anyway, unles it's ready to feed.

Do yourself a favor...TOSS THE FORMULA. Dad won't have any choice.

My mother is ill and I was at her house because she couldn't be alone. I've been in and out for 3 days and unable to nurse on demand. The only reason we even have formula in my house is because the hospital sent it home with us.

So no guilt for dumping it. Costs you nothing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)