Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pacifiers........

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:27 AM
  • 34 Replies

OK let me give you my background: Im a 25 year old first time mom to an almost 1 month old. We are having lots of challenges especially @ night. She will scream for hours on end ( I already made a post about that) We went  to her pedi and she advised me to cut dairy out of my diest to see if her "colic" will go away. I really have been trying to make a conscious effort to avoid dairy but am not always successful.  Anyways, before I actually gave birth to her we took a BF class and they advised that pacifiers shouldn't be introduced until the baby is 4 weeks old. Well we are  at that point now but I really did not want to give her a paci. But with all the screaming she does Im assuming from her gas cramps nothing soothes her so tonight for the first time ever I broke out a paci somebody bought us for her baby shower. I put it in her mouth while she was screaming, the first few attempts she kept spitting it out and then after a while she started sucking on it and now SILENCE!

I did not want her to have a paci I suppose for selfish reasons but let me list them anyway:

1) My husband and I have crooked teeth and I want to do all I can to help prevent making her future teeth any more messed up one she grows up ( I worked at a daycare and more of the kids that had pacis had crooked teeth than the ones that never took one)

2) When its time for her to be done with one I dont want the hassle of breaking that habit or being the mean guy that takes her comfort object away

So I am lloking for advice, what are the pros and cons of a pacifier? Do you babies use one? Do you feel they help make life easier or harder? Please help!

PS- sorry I rambled a lil, its late, Im sleep deprived and I just had to get my feelings out and vent, please forgive me I am a lil frustrated these days :/

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LeanneC
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:55 AM

We don't use pacifiers.  I don't personally like them.  My first started with one and quit it by 3 months and this time I didn't even bother buying any.

That said... they can be useful in certain situations for short periods of time.  So... you can absolutely give one now, limit it's use and dump it as soon as it's no longer needed.

I couldn't find your other post... but I'm wondering if maybe you have an overactive letdown?   That can cause gas and fussiness and make it hard for baby to comfort suck at the breast. 

Faithbaby714
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:36 AM

Liam loves his nuk and so do I.  He doesn't HAVE to have it 24/7 but he uses it to go to sleep and to comfort him from time to time.  It never interfered with our breastfeeding relationship and it helps reduce the risk of SIDS.  Good luck!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
owensmommy1122
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:31 AM

my never never used a pacifier.....i was his pacifier :) my hubby and mother in law tried really hard but i told them no. i just dont like them. i see too many parents try and shut their kids up with pacifiers and they dont find out the real reason they are crying like they need to eat. plus i didnt want to have to break my son of it. i hate seeing toddlers running around trying to talk through their paci's.

shymom24
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:39 AM

I am about to be a first time breastfeeder, and with my others I used a paci but I FF with some pumped milk. Colic is something I did deal alot with. My youngest had it for 9 months. She would cry for 12 hours a day sometimes. I was told to take her to a chiropracter. I did. It didn't stop the crying right away but little by little (within a month) her colic went away. My family dr told me it was her age, but I dont think so. I have had several friends with newborns that had colic and the chiropracter helped. I just wanted to make the suggestion to look into it because colic is hard for mom and baby and this worked for me.

Angelmomov3boyz  created this wonderful pic for me!

Living life through the eyes of a child!

princezz051
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:41 AM

My ds is only 3 weeks old and he takes a paci (and is EBF). *KNOCK ON WOOD* so far it hasn't interferred with our nursing relationship. Granted he doesn't always have it..usually he'll take it for maybe 30 mins tops (usually to get him to hold off on nursing as I'm either cooking, going to the bathroom, etc etc). It also helps when he goes through his gassy/colicky phase in the evenings.

rockinmomto2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:43 AM

My son was my only paci baby. He had his until he was almost 2. He had a very difficult time sleeping and staying asleep, so his paci helped tons. For us, it wasn't too hard to take it away right before he turned 2. But a lot of people say they don't need it once they're not infants anymore. I say, do what works for you. As for the crooked teeth, the paci isn't going to much damage at all. My son's teeth are perfectly fine. They're not crooked, buck, or anything. If the paci soothes your baby, you do what will leave you with a bit of sanity!!! 

Follow me on my blog A Year of Gratitude http://ayearofgratitude2010.blogspot.com/

GillyG
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 7:44 AM

You are not alone in your thinking or feeling about pacifiers. I honestly despise the things, and I have not EVER even as much as offered our son one. I believe they can become a "crutch" to kids, per se, in some cases. That on top of the fact that I just don't like them, we didn't use them. We were given a few at my baby shower and I gave them all away to someone else. Know what, our son was just fine without it. It's natural for babies to give a suckling motion with their mouths, doesn't mean they need anything to be in it. My biggest thing and the main reason I didn't use them is because I didn't want him to use it as a soother. Again, he was just fine, and still is. In the end it is your decision. If you don't like them, I would steer clear, as you might just end up with one of the scenarios you mentioned. Good luck!

ariel08
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:03 AM

don't feel so guilty for just trying to get a few minutes of peace! of course everyone has opinions about pacis, but it's generally not the end of the world if you little one needs some sucking comfort. my dd would scream and gag if anything other than the boob was in her mouth (never took a bottle until 8 months) until she starting teething around 4 or 5 months. then the paci helped her sleep in her crib and i think helped her gums feel better. she didn't get it too much more than nap and bedtimes. most new ones (we use mams) are othodnic and not too bad for the teeth because they're thin where they pass over the teeth. also, they're a lot better than thumb sucking which is much harder to break.

i'd say use it sparingly to keep your sanity and enjoy your little one, as long as it doesn't interfere with nursing. you can always take it away when the colic passes, or at 6 months or something... my husband swore we'd never use pacifiers until our daughter was born. haha... reality is a little different.

Heather881029
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:17 AM

We have 5 kids.  My first 2 never took a paci, then my 3rd took one while at daycare and we then weaned him to a paci when I had to stop nursing due to complications with my pregnancy.  He is 22 months old and still has a paci (better known as Pap Pap) at nap time and bedtime.  We also have 4 month old twins so I have been gently taking the Pap Pap from him so that it is not too much at once for him.  He knows he cannot have it unless he is going to bed and he has done amazingly well with that.  My goal is for it to be completely gone by the time he turns two.  The twins also use them occassionally, usually when they are with Nana, daddy, or in the church nursery which is not very often.  The paci has not interfered with breastfeeding at all.

MommyScapardine
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:20 AM

I too am a young first time mom, And I introduced  The "binkie) to Kara befor 4 weeks. We only use it on a as needed basis other wise we put her hand to her mouth or I  Just hold her and become her pacifire. Seems to work well, and She is not dependant on her binkie, so no haveing to be the bad guy latter on. Hope this helped.

Juli Scapardine              Karalynn Scapardine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)