• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

long stretch at night...

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:44 AM
  • 10 Replies

hey ladies,  I had read that if you go longer than 8 hours without b'feeding that your milk will start to dry up..last 2 nights DD has slept 8-9 hrs (PRAISE BE! haha) should I be concerned, pump, wake her up? she's almost 3 months. I'm sure SHE is fine, I just don't want anything to happen to the supply :)

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Want your pre-baby body back!? Click here! 

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Here's a bump, I would like to know the answer as well = ) 

Heather881029
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:14 AM

My current nurslings haven't made it that long but when my boys would sleep long stretches I would pump just to stock up.  And because they only did it for a few nights and were then right back into the routine of waking up to nurse during the night.  Sorry I could not be of more help. 

hoping4number3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:46 AM

yea, I may do that. She goes down at around 8pm, and last 2 nights slept til 4am or so...and would have slept longer if I hadn't been worried abouther (and in pain) and when I opened the door to peek on her hehe she woke up. I may just pump at 10 before I go to bed.

kmstockwell
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I would say sleep and enjoy it while it lasts because before you know it something will be making her wake up again (teething, milestones, runny nose, etc).  But if you are up anyway, pump to stock up.  I just wouldn't bother setting alarms or anything like that.  (So jealous by the way!)

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Relax. Don't worry about it. SUPPLY ALWAYS ADJUSTS.

Forever and ever amen.

Gruntlings
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Myth. If your supply goes down your baby will stop sleeping that long and will nurse more to bring it back up. :)

If baby is sleeping 8 hours while gaining weight and making 6-8 wet diapers per day it means the following:

1- Baby's ready to sleep 8 hours

2- Mom gets more sleep. YAY!

3- If mom has been using the LAM (lactational ammehorhea method, or breastfeeding for birth control), mom needs to look into other options immediately.

4- Mom's lucky. lucky. lucky. And I'm jealous. jealous. jealous. :)

Keep in mind that this might not last. Seize the sleep and enjoy it while you get the chance. :) Pump if you're engorged- just enough to relieve discomfort (or you can pump during this time to build a freezer supply if you want to have one handy..) But really. SLEEP. Just sleep. And enjoy it.

------------------------------
You wouldn't take driving lessons with that uncle that never got his license.. You wouldn't trade recipes with the neighbor who only ever feeds her family TV Dinners.. You wouldn't train for a marathon with the friend who gets tired of running after a mile. And if your mom says that no one in your family has ever been able to do it, don't expect her to teach you how.. Get advice from people that have MADE IT WORK. It doesn't have to be hard. It doesn't have to be painful. We've been there. We've done it. You can, too!

Come join us in Cafemom's largest breastfeeding group:
http://cafemom.com/group/breastfeeding

Sara/29/SAHM of 3 year old boy/Due w #2 July 4 2010!/Breastfeeding group mod.

trist22
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:02 PM

ahhh to be you for a couple of nights lol.. enjoy it! My (almost) 11 month old still wakes up about 3 times during the night! I agree with other Posters, your milk will adjust.

Optimistic101
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:09 PM

If she continues to nurse then your supply will never dry up..

However my dd started sleeping through the night at 4 months and I still woke up at 3 am regiously until she was 7 months old to pump. I wanted a nice stash of milk! When she was 6 months old I had 500 oz!

CafeMom Tickers
hoping4number3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:18 PM

yea lol that is how I have been teh last few nights..waking up at 2:30 FULL and in pain! I may just pump...but then I think..the minute I pump the last ounce out...she'll wake up! hehe. I guess I could use a bottle and give her what I pump should that happen. but then again. I don't want to rise n shine that early all the time lol I have a 16 month old and twins I have to pounce after at the crack of dawn lol

Quoting Optimistic101:

However my dd started sleeping through the night at 4 months and I still woke up at 3 am regiously until she was 7 months old to pump. I wanted a nice stash of milk! When she was 6 months old I had 500 oz!

Gruntlings
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:24 PM

:) You can NEVER pump the last ounce out. Breasts are a faucet connected to a milk factory, not a bottle of milk that needs time to refill.

If you pumped every drop that the pump can get out, your nursling could still nurse and fill up. It would just take a bit longer.

So even if that DOES ever happen, don't give a bottle. Bottles will just mess with your supply.

Quoting hoping4number3:

yea lol that is how I have been teh last few nights..waking up at 2:30 FULL and in pain! I may just pump...but then I think..the minute I pump the last ounce out...she'll wake up! hehe. I guess I could use a bottle and give her what I pump should that happen. but then again. I don't want to rise n shine that early all the time lol I have a 16 month old and twins I have to pounce after at the crack of dawn lol

Quoting Optimistic101:

------------------------------
You wouldn't take driving lessons with that uncle that never got his license.. You wouldn't trade recipes with the neighbor who only ever feeds her family TV Dinners.. You wouldn't train for a marathon with the friend who gets tired of running after a mile. And if your mom says that no one in your family has ever been able to do it, don't expect her to teach you how.. Get advice from people that have MADE IT WORK. It doesn't have to be hard. It doesn't have to be painful. We've been there. We've done it. You can, too!

Come join us in Cafemom's largest breastfeeding group:
http://cafemom.com/group/breastfeeding

Sara/29/SAHM of 3 year old boy/Due w #2 July 4 2010!/Breastfeeding group mod.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)