Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

growth spurt and a question

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:13 AM
  • 8 Replies

I think DD is having a growth spurt, she's 9.5 weeks old.  she nursed almost constantly yesterday...but she would only nurse if I was walking around.  She's 15 pounds and HEAVY after a couple hours.  If I sat down she would scream. After all that though, she slept good last night, only waking twice.  Does this sound like a growth spurt?  I swear, if I didn't have this group I would have thought I needed to give her a bottle, I just kept repeating, "just count dipes, she's getting enough" LOL. 

She also loves sucking her pointer finger.  I was giving a paci when she would suck her fingers but didn't want the breast, but I think it started to interfere with our nursing so I took it away except in the car if she is screaming.  When she's actually nursing, she sometimes will try to suck her finger instead, but then she gets pissed when no milk comes out, so I know she's actually hungry.  So i'm holding her free hand down, but then she gets annoyed and plays "latch on, latch off" and that's frustrating too. Is this her trying to assert some independence and I just need to be the stronger person and keep doing what I'm doing so she knows that when nursing, you nurse and not play?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ArmyMom2oneboy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Quoting teachermama81:

I think DD is having a growth spurt, she's 9.5 weeks old.  she nursed almost constantly yesterday...but she would only nurse if I was walking around.  She's 15 pounds and HEAVY after a couple hours.  If I sat down she would scream. After all that though, she slept good last night, only waking twice.  Does this sound like a growth spurt?  Yes, this is most likely a growth spurt. They happen very often in the beginning. Do you have a sling or a wrap that you can nurse her in? It will help with the strain on your back. I swear, if I didn't have this group I would have thought I needed to give her a bottle, I just kept repeating, "just count dipes, she's getting enough" LOL. 

She also loves sucking her pointer finger.  I was giving a paci when she would suck her fingers but didn't want the breast, but I think it started to interfere with our nursing so I took it away except in the car if she is screaming.  When she's actually nursing, she sometimes will try to suck her finger instead, but then she gets pissed when no milk comes out, so I know she's actually hungry.  So i'm holding her free hand down, but then she gets annoyed and plays "latch on, latch off" and that's frustrating too. Is this her trying to assert some independence and I just need to be the stronger person and keep doing what I'm doing so she knows that when nursing, you nurse and not play?She is getting to the distactable baby age. Hence the nursing while moving and the pop on pop off game. Frustrating, I know! Nursing in motion helps (as you already noticed, as well as nursing lying down in a cool dark room. She is just learning more and more about this great big world and is wanting to take it all in!

I am Andi. I am a 21 year old breastfeeding, baby in sling, cloth diapering momma of two. I am a WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, hoping to become an IBCLC. Ask me about my Momma-Made cloth diapers, CD'ing accessories and baby slings!

Lynn7168
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:00 AM

OMG I remember I went through that with Alivia ---- buy a wrap or go to a fabric store (some wal-marts have fabric) and buy 6 yards of fabric.  Make sure the fabric can give a little/stretch a little, then cut it in half, then you should have 2 6 yards of fabric.  The wraps work great

here are instrutions on how to use a wrap.  It works

baby girl  ALIVIA

teachermama81
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Thanks!

You know it's weird, i never nursed in my wrap before until Saturday, then I did for my gma's party.  Ever since then she wants to walk around and nurse!  She even refused to nurse that night until I put her skin to skin in it, then she nursed away.  I think it will also help with the distracted-ness too.

Quoting Lynn7168:

OMG I remember I went through that with Alivia ---- buy a wrap or go to a fabric store (some wal-marts have fabric) and buy 6 yards of fabric.  Make sure the fabric can give a little/stretch a little, then cut it in half, then you should have 2 6 yards of fabric.  The wraps work great

here are instrutions on how to use a wrap.  It works

teachermama81
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Thanks, I was pretty sure it was a growth spurt, I just needed a bit of support since DH isn't all that supportive.  By hour 4 of her being latched on last night I was crying and he was begging to give her a bottle, not that she takes one anyways.  He thought maybe she was starving and she would take it since she was so cranky.  Grrrr.  Thanks so much!

Quoting ArmyMom2oneboy:

Quoting teachermama81:

I think DD is having a growth spurt, she's 9.5 weeks old.  she nursed almost constantly yesterday...but she would only nurse if I was walking around.  She's 15 pounds and HEAVY after a couple hours.  If I sat down she would scream. After all that though, she slept good last night, only waking twice.  Does this sound like a growth spurt?  Yes, this is most likely a growth spurt. They happen very often in the beginning. Do you have a sling or a wrap that you can nurse her in? It will help with the strain on your back. I swear, if I didn't have this group I would have thought I needed to give her a bottle, I just kept repeating, "just count dipes, she's getting enough" LOL. 

She also loves sucking her pointer finger.  I was giving a paci when she would suck her fingers but didn't want the breast, but I think it started to interfere with our nursing so I took it away except in the car if she is screaming.  When she's actually nursing, she sometimes will try to suck her finger instead, but then she gets pissed when no milk comes out, so I know she's actually hungry.  So i'm holding her free hand down, but then she gets annoyed and plays "latch on, latch off" and that's frustrating too. Is this her trying to assert some independence and I just need to be the stronger person and keep doing what I'm doing so she knows that when nursing, you nurse and not play?She is getting to the distactable baby age. Hence the nursing while moving and the pop on pop off game. Frustrating, I know! Nursing in motion helps (as you already noticed, as well as nursing lying down in a cool dark room. She is just learning more and more about this great big world and is wanting to take it all in!

Gruntlings
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Quoting teachermama81:

I think DD is having a growth spurt, she's 9.5 weeks old.  she nursed almost constantly yesterday...but she would only nurse if I was walking around.  She's 15 pounds and HEAVY after a couple hours.  If I sat down she would scream. After all that though, she slept good last night, only waking twice.  Does this sound like a growth spurt?  I swear, if I didn't have this group I would have thought I needed to give her a bottle, I just kept repeating, "just count dipes, she's getting enough" LOL. 

Almost definitely a growth spurt. Probably combined with increasing awareness of the world. The two things together can create an endearing combination of a baby that's hard to soothe.

Do you have a sling or Mei Tai or some sort of baby wrap? It helps with the movement.She might also just want the movement and be less interested in nursing- a baby swing might be helpful if that's the case. Or having your husband dance with her.

Nope, no bottles needed. :)

You might also want to rule out gas and an ear infection. Does she have a fever? Is she straining or does she seem uncomfortable? Sometimes a baby with gas or an ear infection or some other problem will soothe only when moving as well as nursing.

Do you have a rocking chair or glider? She might accept nursing on that instead of some other form of motion. If you have a birthing ball or an exercise ball you can nurse on that while gently bouncing as well (as long as you're able to reliably keep your balance while holding onto baby. Just be careful with options such as the birthing ball- since you don't want to bounce too vigorously!

She also loves sucking her pointer finger.  I was giving a paci when she would suck her fingers but didn't want the breast, but I think it started to interfere with our nursing so I took it away except in the car if she is screaming. 

Good. Pacifiers can be a pain in the neck. You can try again in a few weeks if you want, but make sure nursing has no problems first.

When she's actually nursing, she sometimes will try to suck her finger instead, but then she gets pissed when no milk comes out, so I know she's actually hungry.  So i'm holding her free hand down, but then she gets annoyed and plays "latch on, latch off" and that's frustrating too. Is this her trying to assert some independence and I just need to be the stronger person and keep doing what I'm doing so she knows that when nursing, you nurse and not play?

No finger in the mouth while nursing. This can cause issues for you as well as for her. Keep doing what you're doing. Try encouraging her to hold your finger instead, or maybe play with a nursing necklace. You can also try swaddling her- she might find that more acceptable than your holding her arm.

------------------------------
You wouldn't take driving lessons with that uncle that never got his license.. You wouldn't trade recipes with the neighbor who only ever feeds her family TV Dinners.. You wouldn't train for a marathon with the friend who gets tired of running after a mile. And if your mom says that no one in your family has ever been able to do it, don't expect her to teach you how.. Get advice from people that have MADE IT WORK. It doesn't have to be hard. It doesn't have to be painful. We've been there. We've done it. You can, too!

Come join us in Cafemom's largest breastfeeding group:
http://cafemom.com/group/breastfeeding

Sara/29/SAHM of 3 year old boy/Due w #2 July 4 2010!/Breastfeeding group mod.

teachermama81
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Quoting Gruntlings:

Quoting teachermama81:

Almost definitely a growth spurt. Probably combined with increasing awareness of the world. The two things together can create an endearing combination of a baby that's hard to soothe.

Do you have a sling or Mei Tai or some sort of baby wrap? It helps with the movement.She might also just want the movement and be less interested in nursing- a baby swing might be helpful if that's the case. Or having your husband dance with her.

I do have a wrap, I'll definitely be using it more.  And that's a good point about the movement, DH has been playing with our two year old with her, to give me a break and she isn't fussing at all tonight.

Nope, no bottles needed. :)

You might also want to rule out gas and an ear infection. Does she have a fever? Is she straining or does she seem uncomfortable? Sometimes a baby with gas or an ear infection or some other problem will soothe only when moving as well as nursing.

Not gassy at all, and I highly doubt an ear infection, aside from the frequent nursing, no fussiness.

Do you have a rocking chair or glider? She might accept nursing on that instead of some other form of motion. If you have a birthing ball or an exercise ball you can nurse on that while gently bouncing as well (as long as you're able to reliably keep your balance while holding onto baby. Just be careful with options such as the birthing ball- since you don't want to bounce too vigorously!

She LOVES the birth ball, I do it all the time with her, never thought to nurse with her! 

She also loves sucking her pointer finger.  I was giving a paci when she would suck her fingers but didn't want the breast, but I think it started to interfere with our nursing so I took it away except in the car if she is screaming. 

Good. Pacifiers can be a pain in the neck. You can try again in a few weeks if you want, but make sure nursing has no problems first.

When she's actually nursing, she sometimes will try to suck her finger instead, but then she gets pissed when no milk comes out, so I know she's actually hungry.  So i'm holding her free hand down, but then she gets annoyed and plays "latch on, latch off" and that's frustrating too. Is this her trying to assert some independence and I just need to be the stronger person and keep doing what I'm doing so she knows that when nursing, you nurse and not play?

No finger in the mouth while nursing. This can cause issues for you as well as for her. Keep doing what you're doing. Try encouraging her to hold your finger instead, or maybe play with a nursing necklace. You can also try swaddling her- she might find that more acceptable than your holding her arm.

Thank you!!!!

hoping4number3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:31 PM

ha that is funny..it was that exact age...that DH told me "go get a bottle!" I broke down in tears and said "look this is what I WANT to do, this is what i'm MADE to do, this is my DREAM, I  never bash your dreams!" Since then he totally gets it, and has been 100% supportive! He just thought I was "only" doing it for the benefits of b'feeding (I guess he figured formula wasn't THAT bad too offer, and, it's not, I mean our other 3 kids were FF, and are just fine, so i can see his point). But once he realized it's something I WANT to do, and NEED to do, he stopped bugging me for the bottles :) Doesn't mean I didn't cry myself to sleep with a baby sucking on my boob though hehe

Quoting teachermama81:

Thanks, I was pretty sure it was a growth spurt, I just needed a bit of support since DH isn't all that supportive.  By hour 4 of her being latched on last night I was crying and he was begging to give her a bottle, not that she takes one anyways.  He thought maybe she was starving and she would take it since she was so cranky.  Grrrr.  Thanks so much!

Quoting ArmyMom2oneboy:

Quoting teachermama81:

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Want your pre-baby body back!? Click here! 

Gruntlings
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:39 AM

My response to "use a bottle":

As long as baby is making 6-8 wet diapers per day, baby is making enough. Moms and babies are made to do this dance. Nursing constantly, fussing and crying at the breast, and switching breasts constantly is what signals to mom's body that it needs to make more milk. Yes, baby is frustrated and yes, mom is frustrated. This is how nature works. This is baby learning that he has to work for food, just as baby will get frustrated when a toy is placed out of his reach, and he will fuss and then learn to crawl to reach the toy. Just as the muscular development of a baby's legs and arms is important,this learning to work for food is important. It is how the jaw develops, it is how the palate forms, it is how the muscles strengthen. It is how strong teeth are built, and how they align themselves. What other species do we know that has jumbled teeth with as much of a frequency as humans do? What other species frequently has issues such as TMJ, where they can dislocate their jaw easily? Baby and boobs are biologically programmed to behave the way they do. To encourage lots of suckling, to help the whole facial structure of the baby develop and strengthen.

That's the "it's good for baby even though it's frustrating" angle. Let's talk about the impact that such statements have on mom.

"Use a bottle". What does that say to a mom? It says you've failed. That you're not trusted. That you can't make enough milk for your baby. That your body is slow. Defective.

It's not. And you don't need to hear that it is. It's doing what it's supposed to do.

When lactic acid builds up in a runner's muscles halfway through the marathon and it burns.. And they keep running.. It's the same thing. It's a rough spot that they work through. They take it slower but they don't sit down. They try breathing deeper. But they don't sit down.

Asking a mom who is going through that rough spot with breastfeeding to just use a bottle.. Suggesting that she's being too hard on herself.. It's not helpful. It's standing on the sidelines with a hot coffee and saying to your wife, your daughter, your sister, your friend... "Why are you TORTURING yourself?

She's spent 9 months of pregnancy deciding to breastfeed. Mentally preparing to breastfeed. She's invested in it.

The things people say to moms that are struggling to breastfeed are.. CRUEL. We wouldn't say them to someone who is trying to get their PHd, someone who is trying to pass their GED, learn how to drive, learn how to crawl, write a book, finish an important project..

But we say them to breastfeeding women? And it is acceptable? WHY?

Why are we allowed to tell them that nursing in public is disgusting?

Why are we allowed to tell them that they're torturing themselves?

Why are we allowed to say that they need to give bottles?

Why are we allowed to tell them that their milk just might not be good enough?

Why are we allowed to sabotage them?

If your wife is running a marathon, support her. She'll know when and if she needs to give up. Hug her, hold her, tell her you're proud of her and she's doing a great job and that it must be so hard. But that you love her for all the effort that she's putting into feeding your baby the best possible food.

Get her some healthy snacks, bring her water.

DO NOT suggest bottles. She knows they exist. Every cell in her body tells her they exist when baby is crying and won't latch on. SHe doesn't need to hear about them.

She needs to hear "Sweetie. You're amazing. I love you. Do you need anything?"

------------------------------
You wouldn't take driving lessons with that uncle that never got his license.. You wouldn't trade recipes with the neighbor who only ever feeds her family TV Dinners.. You wouldn't train for a marathon with the friend who gets tired of running after a mile. And if your mom says that no one in your family has ever been able to do it, don't expect her to teach you how.. Get advice from people that have MADE IT WORK. It doesn't have to be hard. It doesn't have to be painful. We've been there. We've done it. You can, too!

Come join us in Cafemom's largest breastfeeding group:
http://cafemom.com/group/breastfeeding

Sara/29/SAHM of 3 year old boy/Due w #2 July 4 2010!/Breastfeeding group mod.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)