Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Already thinking about weaning...

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:38 AM
  • 17 Replies

I guess I should say already since i have been nursing himi for 11 months but with his birthday coming up soon, it has been on my mind.  I love nursing him but I hate HATE pumping.  I find it really uncomfortable.  In addition, I pump in the middle of a bunch of cubicles.  It is awkward at times but I make it work since I refuse to pump in the bathroom. 

I do feel bad but this just really sucks.. Sorry I am thinking about it because I am currently pumpping.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Have you thought of ditching the pump and nursing when you're together after he turns one?

MNilsen
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:48 AM

I have thought about it but I am really not sure how to transition him.  I go to school 3 days a week so I pump on those days so he has milk at daycare.  I know if I stop pumping, my supply will decrease.  I am not sure if that will frustrate him when we are together and he notices a difference in my supply. He usually nurses between 6-7am, 9-10an, 2-3pm, and at 7pm.  Occassionally we will have another session some where in there.

Quoting MamaCeleste0722:

Have you thought of ditching the pump and nursing when you're together after he turns one?

CafeMom Tickers

lima_mama
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:55 AM

First, I would really like to say how great I think it is that you chose to nurse and pump for so long; what a lucky little guy!

My son is just over a year old & I find he can go a lot longer without nursing now that he is actually eating solids (finally)!

I don't think this needs to be an all or nothing situation. Maybe try having his caregiver slowly substituting his pumped milk feedings until he adjusts. This will also help you regulate your supply by gradually pumping less and less.

Even if you continue to nurse him before and after work and at night, he will still receive the benefits your milk (and your physical contact) provides.

la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Do what you feel is best momma. Pumping was easy for me but I know several of my friends that pumping is not easy for everyone. 

Heather881029
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Your supply will adjust.  I would start by cutting back on one pump session per day.  Are you going to introduce formula or whole milk or some other form of milk?  When I was weaning our 3rd son I cut back on pumping and we introduced him to almond milk first.  He went from taking 3 bottles of breastmilk at daycare to 2 bottles of bm and 1 sippy cup of almond milk at 11 months.  We weaned from breastmilk and the bottle at the same time.  He took well to it.  I still nursed him during the evenings and mornings until I had to stop all together due to complications with my pregnancy.  Good luck and congrats on keeping up the hard work for so long!

MNilsen
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:16 AM

DS eatings lots and lots of solids.  When I send him to daycare, he drinks about 6 oz a day give or take.  He used to take 9 oz but I found that he would not drink it all attimes and they would jsut throw it away. *GASP*  I think he could go longer at home if I didn't nurse him to sleep. 

I am going to keep pumping at least until he is a year, I am just trying to think about possibilities after.  Should I just substitute his milk with water? 

Quoting lima_mama:

First, I would really like to say how great I think it is that you chose to nurse and pump for so long; what a lucky little guy!

My son is just over a year old & I find he can go a lot longer without nursing now that he is actually eating solids (finally)!

I don't think this needs to be an all or nothing situation. Maybe try having his caregiver slowly substituting his pumped milk feedings until he adjusts. This will also help you regulate your supply by gradually pumping less and less.

Even if you continue to nurse him before and after work and at night, he will still receive the benefits your milk (and your physical contact) provides.

CafeMom Tickers

SunshneDaydream
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I cut out a pumping session when my boy was 10 or 11 months old and told the babysitter to only give 1 bottle instead of 2.  When he turned 1, I stopped pumping altogether and he gets cow's milk in a sippy at the sitter bfore his nap.  I still nurse him on demand when we're together, which is basically before naps (on weekends), before bed, and on and off throughout the night.  He's perfectly happy with situation, and I have a feeling your boy will be too!  At this age, nursing is more of a comfort thing than a food thing, since they get so much nutrition from other sources.  He'll be glad to nurse when you're around, but he probably won't care if there's not as much as there used to be.  The few times I nurse my son when he's not going to sleep on it, he rarely has the attention span to stay at the breast very long.  He gets his comfort, gets distracted, and pulls off and toddles away.  Your supply will adjust.  I didn't even go through an engorgement/leaking phase like I thought I would!  Weaning does NOT have to be "all or nothing".  IMO, it's better done gradually anyway. Good luck in whatever you decide!

MNilsen
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Thanks.  I do find this very helpful.  This may sound funny but I am hesitant to give himi cow's milk to drink.  I do give him cheese and I drink it myself but my mom has something against it.  She is always telling me I shouldn't drink it.

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

I cut out a pumping session when my boy was 10 or 11 months old and told the babysitter to only give 1 bottle instead of 2.  When he turned 1, I stopped pumping altogether and he gets cow's milk in a sippy at the sitter bfore his nap.  I still nurse him on demand when we're together, which is basically before naps (on weekends), before bed, and on and off throughout the night.  He's perfectly happy with situation, and I have a feeling your boy will be too!  At this age, nursing is more of a comfort thing than a food thing, since they get so much nutrition from other sources.  He'll be glad to nurse when you're around, but he probably won't care if there's not as much as there used to be.  The few times I nurse my son when he's not going to sleep on it, he rarely has the attention span to stay at the breast very long.  He gets his comfort, gets distracted, and pulls off and toddles away.  Your supply will adjust.  I didn't even go through an engorgement/leaking phase like I thought I would!  Weaning does NOT have to be "all or nothing".  IMO, it's better done gradually anyway. Good luck in whatever you decide!

CafeMom Tickers

lifetimelove
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Your supply is demand based.  When he demands it, it will be there.  So you won't "lose" your supply by not pumping while at work.  Many of us have toddlers that aren't interest in nursing during "working" hours and make up for it in the early mornings, late afternoons, evenings (and sometimes nighttime).

In your shoes, I'd just have them give him sippy cups of water and his normal meals and nurse him when you're together.  There's no way I'd keep pumping after one if I didn't *have* too.  lol  I'm not a big fan of cows milk, so I did just water when my son weaned at one (pregnancy), and made sure his diet was well-rounded.  =)

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

emsmodmom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:09 PM

I've been thinking about weaning my BF bby since he's gotten teeth. He BF all night and I'm exhausted! I love breastfeeding and just thought that he would start weaning on his own by now. I would feel bad to wean him myself

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)