Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i think we got a little off track somehow.. how do i fix it?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:50 AM
  • 3 Replies

dd used to go from 8:30 pm - 3:30 am w/o eating.  then she'd eat again at 7:30 when she got up for the day.  somehow she now has 2-3 night feedings & only 'some' during the day.  and it seems my supply is catering to that schedule...  during the day, i seem to have less milk than during the night.  so she'll just get frustrated when it's time to eat during the day.  but at night it's like MILK MILK MILK!  what gives?  how do i fix this?  or will it fix itself?  

thanks!

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
QuickMomma
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Sounds like she has changed her night schedule,its normal and they do that and will continue to change it all the time.

I would not do anything about your supply,when she nurses more during the day and less at night it will adjust all on its own.

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Yeah, it'll fix. Babies go through all kinds of weird stages. So just keep the nights boring, and try to nurse as much through the day as you can. It'll all work out. And your supply will adjust to whatever baby tells it to.

Mom                  Dad              Chazz (7y)         Rocco (4y)         Joey (16m)

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who loves her tattoos, piercings, and hair dye

Gruntlings
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Your supply goes through natural fluctuations across the day, regardless of how often baby nurses during those times. :)  Evening/afternoon hours are usually the lowest time for supply. Overnight and early morning are usually the highest times for supply. 

You can try adding additional nursing sessions to the early morning hours. I found that adding one or two feeds during this time (offered, not requested by the baby) helped me cut back on nighttime feeds a slight bit. Sometimes.

Basically, a breastfed baby eats the same amount each day (average of 25oz) and they  will naturally gravitate to doing as much of their feeding as possible during higher supply hours. (Once they're past the newborn stage when they pretty much want to constantly keep a full belly, that is.) So if you can shift the baby to a more "early morning" schedule as far as convincing her thats when your supply is best, she might wake you up less frequently.

"Might" being the key word.

What the previous posters said is mostly true. Nursing on demand is the best way to go about things. I, personally, had enough success with "nurse on demand PLUS nurse when it's convenient for you" (adding feedings during times like just before a car ride, just before YOU go to sleep for the night, or during hours where it would be more convenient for you to have a feed.. NEVER denying a feed, though) that I would do it again. It takes a while for it to work, but eventually my son started shifting his nursing sessions more toward the times where I would offer a feed, and less toward the times when he would previously have requested a feed.

------------------------------
You wouldn't take driving lessons with that uncle that never got his license.. You wouldn't trade recipes with the neighbor who only ever feeds her family TV Dinners.. You wouldn't train for a marathon with the friend who gets tired of running after a mile. And if your mom says that no one in your family has ever been able to do it, don't expect her to teach you how.. Get advice from people that have MADE IT WORK. It doesn't have to be hard. It doesn't have to be painful. We've been there. We've done it. You can, too!

Come join us in Cafemom's largest breastfeeding group:
http://cafemom.com/group/breastfeeding

Sara/29/SAHM of 3 year old boy/Due w #2 July 4 2010!/Breastfeeding group mod.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)