• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Want to go from EP to Nursing

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:51 AM
  • 8 Replies

This is actually something a friend of mine is going through with her 7 week old. She's not a member of CafeMom and you guys have helped me so much, I'm hoping you can give me some advice to pass on to her.

Her 7 week old was in the NICU for almost three weeks after he was born after breathing in a huge amount of meconium (sp?). He was fed first through a feeding tube, then a bottle and was able to nurse just a couple of days before going home with mommy. Since then, she has begun exclusively pumping because she says he gets angry at how long it takes to nurse. He either screams in frustration or falls asleep. Since she has been trying to switch back to breastfeeding, she says he won't latch on right, he drools all the milk out of his mouth, then gets frustrated and won't continue, or else she just gives him a bottle.

Any advice?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lifetimelove
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:04 PM

She needs to get with the lactation consultants.  And if she supplements, either with pumped milk or formula, she needs to use a supplemental nursing system - the LCs should be able to get her one.  They need to make sure the latch is okay.

He might have a bit of a weak suck which would explain the milk leakage - the LCs can look and see how much of a problem it is.

She has to be willing to be a bit stubborn.  He has nipple confusion and that's why the screaming.  The SNS will help with that - it will give him the "immediate gratification" at the breast so he'll calm down and focus on nursing.

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Previous answer covered it. A supplemental nursing system and LOADS of patience, and the help of an IBCLC are what she needs.

A trashcan for the bottles will help too.

ktclick
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Wow! I didn't know "nipple confusion" was a real thing! I've actually had a doctor TELL me that. I'm glad neither of mine had any trouble!

I will pass along the information. I'm trying to talk her into going to a local breastfeeding "support group" with me. They have it every week at our local hospital. I hope she sticks with it!

mommy2xp
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM

that would be a good idea! also what the previous replies said

Quoting ktclick:

This is actually something a friend of mine is going through with her 7 week old. She's not a member of CafeMom and you guys have helped me so much, I'm hoping you can give me some advice to pass on to her.

Her 7 week old was in the NICU for almost three weeks after he was born after breathing in a huge amount of meconium (sp?). He was fed first through a feeding tube, then a bottle and was able to nurse just a couple of days before going home with mommy. Since then, she has begun exclusively pumping because she says he gets angry at how long it takes to nurse. He either screams in frustration or falls asleep. Since she has been trying to switch back to breastfeeding, she says he won't latch on right, he drools all the milk out of his mouth, then gets frustrated and won't continue, or else she just gives him a bottle.

Any advice?

Bmomma2
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:11 PM

def see a board certified lactation consultant

Be patient , kind, and understanding.  Be the mom.

ktclick
by on Jan. 29, 2010 at 2:56 PM

The lactation consultant today had my friend try a nipple shield with her son. It seemed to go okay, but I feel so terrible for her. She is so nervous and agitated - not sure how to hold him, so afraid of doing it wrong. She had never even changed a diaper before having her little one and staying home is a whole new world for her since she has worked full time since graduating high school!

She's so frustrated with how long he takes to breastfeed. He seems to want to take like an hour-long break between sides, whereas if he has a bottle, he'll drink almost five ounces (at only 7 weeks old) in one shot. The lactation consultant was even convinced he'd finished after one side because he wasn't interested in eating from the other side, but sure enough, right before she left about 45 minutes later, he got hungry again!

Is he cluster feeding? This seems to happen at every feeding.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 29, 2010 at 3:08 PM
Quoting ktclick:

She's so frustrated with how long he takes to breastfeed. He seems to want to take like an hour-long break between sides,

That's NORMAL.

whereas if he has a bottle, he'll drink almost five ounces (at only 7 weeks old) in one shot.

THat's because he gets no choice...it's like gavage-feeding a duck. The stufdf is pouring down. He's probably taking at least that much at the breast.

The lactation consultant was even convinced he'd finished after one side because he wasn't interested in eating from the other side, but sure enough, right before she left about 45 minutes later, he got hungry again!

THAT is also0 NORMAL. Tell your friend it WILL change.

Is he cluster feeding? This seems to happen at every feeding.

No...cluster feeding means they don't come off at all. Tell your friend relax, and there is NOTHING she NEEDS to do except care for the baby now. She's textbook perfect.

Pishyah
by on Jan. 29, 2010 at 3:46 PM

My son was in the NICU and the LC there was AMAZING!  Not all LCs are created equal, in a word, some are awful and I wonder why they do their job.  However, she should be able to find one that can help with latch and there are feeding tubes that she can use to put pumped milk in to help him get food faster so that he is less frustrated at the breast.  Over time she'd be able to slow it down so that he would be comfortable with just nursing.  Once she's no longer pumping "breastfeeding" will be SO much more enjoyable than what she's experienced! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)