Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

will this affect my supply?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:06 AM
  • 5 Replies

So tell me if this if going to affect my supply in a negative way.  Peyton barely goes to sleep last night, it was a bunch of getting up numerous times & giving him his nuk. He will usually sleep to around 4-5am if he eats close to 10pm. at 12:30 I decided fine, you won't sleep so I'll feed you cause if he was up he'd eat at that time anyway. he ate for maybe 3 min on one side & fell asleep. I tried EVERYTHING to get that kid to wake up but he was out. So then around 4:30 he gets up & does the same thing!!! it's like he wants a little drink & he's good for a few hours. He was crabbing again around 5 so I tried to feed him again & it's like he just wanted someone to hold him cause he wouldn't eat or even open his mouth to try. So by then I pumped cause the left side was so full. Is this going to affect my supply-him being mr sleepy head?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SunshneDaydream
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Feeding on demand will only affect your supply in a POSITIVE way!  Never wake a sleeping baby. I don't know how old he is, but nothing sounds out-of-the-ordinary here.  Your body will constantly adjust to baby's consantly changing needs and wants.  It can be daunting at times, but so can everything about parenting!  Pump when you're in pain and he's sleeping, but don't stress about it.  Sleep when you can, feed him whenever he wants it, however much he wants.  Good job mama!

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:19 PM

No worries here. It ALWAYS adjusts.

Gruntlings
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Feed on demand, as long as baby is making 6 wet diapers per day at a minimum. (soaked counts as 2 wets)

When you pump to relieve engorgement, just make sure that you pump only to the point of relieving pain and pressure. Pumping more can keep your supply too high and can cause issues with over-supply. (Unless you're pumping to create an emergency frozen milk stash, in which case make sure to co nsistently pump from day to day to avoid engorgement and to build your stash up.)

He'll just start to nurse more frequently when he needs more, or when he wants to increase your supply. :) At which point you might panic and think you're drying up. You're not. It's called "supply stabilization". Babies and boobs do this delicate dance of supply and demand where the breasts try to decrease supply to keep you from becoming engorged and making too much milk (since this can cause mastitis which can be life threatening if left untreated), and your baby nurses to try to increase your milk. Together, babies and boobs create the perfect balance. If mom's milk dips, baby will "cluster feed" or nurse constantly to bring milk back up.

kkolb1
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Thanks so much ladies! Its great to know I can come here with questions. With my first son (3 on 2/10) I never had to deal with this & that, he just ate every few hours & that was it, slept through the night soon after he was born as well, so with Peyton (7 wks) everything is completely different. it's amazing what you forget though in just a few short years.

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:06 PM

This is very true, and added to that.... every baby is different!  :o)

Quoting kkolb1: Thanks so much ladies! Its great to know I can come here with questions. With my first son (3 on 2/10) I never had to deal with this & that, he just ate every few hours & that was it, slept through the night soon after he was born as well, so with Peyton (7 wks) everything is completely different. it's amazing what you forget though in just a few short years.

Mia ~  Breastfeeding Moms Group Moderator

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)