Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NIP wont be normalized until WE normalize it......PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:39 PM
  • 48 Replies

I was reading the post about the baby shower, and thinking a few things:

1.  Our parents have a hard time with NIP because it was shameful to them.  Feeding a babyis a private matter, and should not be done in public.  I dont agree, and am very sad that there was generations of programming into this thought.  My grandmother had 4 babies, and was given a shot after each one, without asking, to dry up her milk.  MIlk was bad, formula was better.  Sad, but true.

2.  NIP wont be normalized until more women do it.  WITHOUT SHAME.  This means hiding under blankets, hooter hiders, what ever.  I know, many women do not feel comfy without their "I'm Breastfeeding, look at me!" cover, but it draws more attention to the act.  With two women sitting in a restaurant, who will draw more attention - the mom who doesnt skip a beat, unlatches her bra under her shirt, the brings baby up, and "shirrs" her shirt over the baby's mouth, hiding it all, or the mom, who is talking to her baby, while she is searching her diaper bag for her cover, which is brightly colored, puts it on over her head (or snapps it) while her baby is crabbing? 

If you think you can't NIP - try this - Safety in numbers - nurse with a friend in public.  No one will bother you.  Also, nurse infront of a mirror - this will show you how little you really do show. 

Now, there will always be women who "get naked" to nurse......but until we take the focus off the boobies, and put them on our babies........we will always feel ashamed to perform a simple job of motherhood.......feeding our babies. 

Medications and Mother's Milk - Group Owner  

Are you tired of BAD Breastfeeding information?  Go to www.llli.org and search the resources for REAL CORRECT info. 

I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam ...... Thank you Popeye!   BEHOLD!  THE POWER OF BREASTMILK!!!   Proud momma of two self weaning, extended breastfed preemie boys!

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vances_mom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:57 PM
Amen, sista!!! I NIP where ever I need to. If Harper is hungry, I feed her. Period. I do use a reciving blanket to cover, but that's because I'm ashamed of my belly flab busting out over top of my pants, not the 1/2" of breast you can barely see.
Hottubgodess
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Have you thought about wearing a tank top with slits cut into the breast to cover your belly with another layer?  Just a thought.  Thank you for your shout out!

Quoting vances_mom:

Amen, sista!!! I NIP where ever I need to. If Harper is hungry, I feed her. Period. I do use a reciving blanket to cover, but that's because I'm ashamed of my belly flab busting out over top of my pants, not the 1/2" of breast you can barely see.

Medications and Mother's Milk - Group Owner  

Are you tired of BAD Breastfeeding information?  Go to www.llli.org and search the resources for REAL CORRECT info. 

I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam ...... Thank you Popeye!   BEHOLD!  THE POWER OF BREASTMILK!!!   Proud momma of two self weaning, extended breastfed preemie boys!

Cynthje
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Thank you for posting this, i totally agree with you. I NIP and never use a cover, i just dont see whats so discreet about them at all. When i NIP i show less boob than a lot of women wearing "tops" do i see girls walking around barely dresses and i know i show way less than that. I will admit i have accidentally flashed someone but NIP is not a big deal here so it wasnt an issue.

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

QueenFelicia
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:12 PM

I am also very sad at the generations of programming that makes women ashamed to feed their baby in public. And disturbed by people who equate nursing with urinating in public. Sad, so very sad...

Susan0805
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:13 PM

I nurse in public...here is one of us at the zoo :-)

______________________________________________________________________________________

My Life:

QueenFelicia
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Such a sweet, happy picture...

Quoting Susan0805:

Susan0805
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:16 PM

thanks :-) ...  the sun was bright so our faces our squinching but it was a fun day :-) Daddy was taking the pic :-)

Quoting QueenFelicia:

Such a sweet, happy picture...

Quoting Susan0805:

______________________________________________________________________________________

My Life:

Susan0805
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Heres another one :-)

My Life:

luna08
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:20 PM

sooo true!!!

im a first time ebf mommy to my now 10 week old son and for the first few times in public i would put a blanket over me (mind u it was also because i hadent gotten the hang of just plainly being discret) but no i just dont care lolim feeding my child period. if some pervert sneaks a peak at the tiny side boob portion visible oh well hes a pervert im a mom! i love just sitting down and nursing him while hes fussing at the store. i do however use the moms room at babies r us...only because its comfortable and cozy though, i still dont cover up. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Kisses4Henry
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:21 PM

I agree.  I think too many nursing women are intimidated too much to nurse in public.  I was uncomfortable at first... but it feels good once you get over that.  You don't have to hide!  & it helps other moms and women to feel comfortable with it and to normalize BFing in general.  My SIL never thought about BFing much... but since I had my son she thinks BFing is "normal".  She even thinks extended BFing is normal!  I was talking to her the other day and she was said, "I couldn't believe it.. my one friend stopped nursing at 8 months only!  & omg!! one of them stopped at 3!  That's awful."  I had to laugh.  I really have made her assume nursing a toddler is what is to be expected.  I felt good about that!  I didn't do anything or shove it in anyones face.. I just comfortably fed my child when he was hungry and that made her comfortable with it.  Hopefully she will do the same for other people and it will spread.  Too many people think they can't breastfeed cause they view it as fringe or formula being the norm and it going above and beyond to nurse.  The more we can help change society to think that nursing is something doable, normal and not something to be ashamed of the better.

On a side-note.. I have seen people go above and beyond with public nursing to make others uncomfortable.  I was in circle time at the park and the one mother had a toddler and every 5 minutes would pull her breast out of her shirt, dangle it totally uncovered and call for him to come over suckle for a few seconds then go off again.  That to me is just working against the cause.  I nurse my toddler in public (or even sitting inches from a stranger on a plane) without a cover yet I never shove it in people's faces.  Most people don't.. but I know some do.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)