Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weaning?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:45 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hello, I'm new to the group. My daughter will be 8 months on the 1st.  She is EBF, and dh and are are going on vacation out of state in March where it is not possible for me to pump, so I was thinking that I will need to start weaning her.  I would love to keep nursing up until she is 1 but I dont think it will be possible. I work full time and pump 3 times a day at work and usually only pump around 12-14 oz when I'm away from her 10 hrs.  I can't get a stock in my freezer. If I would have known when I was on leave to pump like crazy i would have. 

Any suggestions? 

Lilypie
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Candi1024
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:01 PM

On weaning? No, I haven't had to wean yet. My first I weaned at 5 months very easily, this one I am still pumping at 8 months.

BUT, your pumping output is awesome!!! I average 9 oz a day, sometimes less, and I am away for 10 hours. The baby eats 3-3oz bottles all day, so I produce enough.  Baby's need 1 - 1.25 oz per hour that you are away. You are really doing great! (my baby is 8 months as well)

LeanneC
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Any way to bring baby with you? I wouldn't leave a baby that young, breastfed or not.

That said... you pump large amounts.  You could most certainly start saving several oz every day and build up a stock for while you are gone (or, baby gets supplemented formula while you are gone).... but you would need to pump while gone to maintain supply and prevent engorgement and mastitis.  You don't even have to save the milk, you can dump it if you need to.   Really, if baby will continue nursing (and a weeklong separation may very well push weaning all on it's own), she will get your supply back up on her own... the main concern is going to be you getting sick while gone from not pumping.

chellchell
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:24 PM
Ok should I start giving the sitter less pumped milk then? I give 13 - 16 oz and she goes thru it. She will get a bowl of oatmeal cereal for lunch and bm the rest of the time. She doesn't eat a lot of baby food only occasionally at night otherwise she is ebf. No its not possible to bring her with we are going to a nascar race. I don't want to bring my medela dbl pump with, and don't want to end up engorged and in pain while there. Should I start to wean and switch her over to formula until she is 1? I'm a first time mom so I don't really know all that much and my mom sis and everyone else hasn't bf
Lilypie
LeanneC
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Quoting chellchell:

Ok should I start giving the sitter less pumped milk then? I give 13 - 16 oz and she goes thru it. She will get a bowl of oatmeal cereal for lunch and bm the rest of the time. She doesn't eat a lot of baby food only occasionally at night otherwise she is ebf. No its not possible to bring her with we are going to a nascar race. I don't want to bring my medela dbl pump with, and don't want to end up engorged and in pain while there. Should I start to wean and switch her over to formula until she is 1? I'm a first time mom so I don't really know all that much and my mom sis and everyone else hasn't bf

You can definitly start leaving less with the sitter.   I wouldn't leave more than 12oz for 10 hours, personally.... and you can cut back to 10 oz if you really want.  Remember, the milk given while she is separated from you is just to get her through until you are together again.  At 16oz she's taking MOST of her milk while at the sitters, you want it the other way around because she's easier and more effective than a pump.

Is nascar not family friendly?  I maintain that I wouldn't leave a baby that young, I just wouldn't go if it came down to it... but it's your choice, obviously.

Again, with the weaning... your choice.   You CAN wean her... I would not personally reccomend it, but I would never personally reccomend weaning before age 2.    You can bring a manual pump and just pump a few times a day and dump the milk to prevent engorgement and infection... and she may or may not go back to the breast when you get back, so you may end up weaned anyway.  But, if you want to leave the option open, definitely bring at least a manual pump with you.  She can increase your supply when you get back, but you don't want to be in pain while you are gone.

Kisses4Henry
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:43 PM

My 1st thought is that you're probably going to get a breast infection if you don't pump.  I know people who were down to only 1-2 times nursing a day and they got breast infections when they stopped.  Why won't it be possible to pump where you're going?  Maybe you could try to bring her along?  That's awfully young to wean if things are going well.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Daynaof3
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Quoting LeanneC:

Quoting chellchell:

You can definitly start leaving less with the sitter.   I wouldn't leave more than 12oz for 10 hours, personally.... and you can cut back to 10 oz if you really want.  Remember, the milk given while she is separated from you is just to get her through until you are together again.  At 16oz she's taking MOST of her milk while at the sitters, you want it the other way around because she's easier and more effective than a pump.

Is nascar not family friendly?  I maintain that I wouldn't leave a baby that young, I just wouldn't go if it came down to it... but it's your choice, obviously.

Again, with the weaning... your choice.   You CAN wean her... I would not personally reccomend it, but I would never personally reccomend weaning before age 2.    You can bring a manual pump and just pump a few times a day and dump the milk to prevent engorgement and infection... and she may or may not go back to the breast when you get back, so you may end up weaned anyway.  But, if you want to leave the option open, definitely bring at least a manual pump with you.  She can increase your supply when you get back, but you don't want to be in pain while you are gone.

I agree with Leanne. I have a couple suggestions that may work, you can try to reverse cycle the baby so that she is taking more while you are together and less while you are apart. That way you will have much more extra milk left over. It means that you feed the baby more often while you are together and in turn they eat less while you are away.

Also, you said you pump 3 times while at work but are you pumping at all at home? You can come up with a pumping schedule that includes time you are home and that will add to your stash. You can pump the other side while she nurses.

I would definitely suggest that you bring the pump with you if you cannot bring the baby. You can also hand express while away if you don't bring the pump, google the marmet method of hand expression. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Candi1024
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:59 PM

What size bottles are you giving the sitter? A good way to reduce the amount she is eating during the day is to give smaller bottles. 4oz is OK, 3oz is better.

Also I would skip the solids at night. Just nurse, and that may also reduce the amount needed at the sitters. Tell the sitters to give two solid meals instead of you giving one.

Another way to get extra milk is to nurse on one side in the morning and pump on the other.

I have brought my 2yr old to nascar races, but the sound of the cars is really loud. We didn't sit and watch the race for long. I don't think I would want a 10-11 month old sitting for 4 hours listening to that. Unless they wore ear protection, and I doubt the baby would put up with that.

If you are flying, you can carry-on the pump. If you are really sure you don't want to pump, I would be sure that you are all the way weaned. Even then, I think I might bring a manual, just in case.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)