• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to get my breastfed baby to eat solids!!!!! Please help my daughter NEEDS to eat for he health any ideas???

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:10 PM
  • 13 Replies

My daughter is almost 13 months old and I have struggled with her sense she was 7 months triing to get her to eat food I have tried everything jarred food she hates she will eat table food sometimes maybe one bite here and there. I set her down for breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday and offer snacks in between. I get SO flusterated because she has problems with her iron and its because she WONT eat!! She just wants to nurse and she will cry till she gets to nurse. She is not interested in food and she spits it gags it and cries and wont even open her mouth. I dont know why she wont eat but I know this cant be good or healthy for her I have tried making very kind of food there is I think. She likes to feed herself and if I make up some food grind it up give it to her she sometimes atakes a bite or two so I try to let her feed herself but now she doesnt like that either. I am lucky if she eats a couple bites a day. I need help to get her to eat, If I haveto try to wean her so be it because her nursing cannot come in the way of her health. Any ideas???????

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommawhite08
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:18 PM

1st of all. weaning may not make her eat more, so be careful!  you need to get her to a ped that supports breastfeeding and have them rule out any medical causes.  I would lay off the solids completeky for 2 weeks and then start over with giving finger foods, not baby food.  you can get iron drops to help out with the anemia. 

Bren07
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Quoting mommawhite08:

1st of all. weaning may not make her eat more, so be careful!  you need to get her to a ped that supports breastfeeding and have them rule out any medical causes.  I would lay off the solids completeky for 2 weeks and then start over with giving finger foods, not baby food.  you can get iron drops to help out with the anemia. 

i agree with this but definatly talk to a pedi about it first....also my oldest loves mac and cheese and has since he was as old as ur LO. idk if u have tired that or not but it's soft and she can feed herself. my son also loved the gerber puffs. it was hard sometimes to get him to eat but if i didnt push it he would eat when he was ready..

HI! im a 20 yr old disposable diapering, CIO attempting, vaxing (but no flu shot), circ'ing, BFing AND FFing, vaginal and c-section birthing, co-sleeping, SAHM to two BOYS. i have been fairly happily married since i was 17 to my high school sweetheart who i met when i was 15. yes i am a "teen mom" but i also graduated high school early. so dont tell me im too young because i will tell you your too old!
SORRY FOR ANY TYPOS, IM NAK ALOT!

Daynaof3
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Kellymom has good info on iron issues: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

I would look into her lead level because a symptom of lead poisoning is loss of appetite. Not saying it's what's going on but worth looking into.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:22 PM
First...she does not NEED solids for her health if she's nursing. OK?
Quoting HeidilovesNyla:

My daughter is almost 13 months old and I have struggled with her sense she was 7 months triing to get her to eat food I have tried everything jarred food she hates

Smart girl. Jarred stuff is icky. Stop trying to give it to her because it's creating a struggle. She never needed it.

she will eat table food sometimes maybe one bite here and there.

PERFECT! Toddlers live on air and the occasional chicken nugget.

I set her down for breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday and offer snacks in between. I get SO flusterated because she has problems with her iron and its because she WONT eat!!

How are these problems diagnosed? The pin prick is NOT accurate...you need a blood draw. And your best bet if there IS a prblem?

Nurse more. The most bioavailable iron on earth comes form YOUR MILK.Nothing else comes close.

She just wants to nurse and she will cry till she gets to nurse.

Then let her nurse. Smart girl. The best nutrients are THERE. She will eventually eat solids...stop sweating them and stop psuhing. Do what you HAVE bneen doing...she'll get more interested iover time.

She is not interested in food and she spits it gags it and cries and wont even open her mouth. I dont know why she wont eat but I know this cant be good or healthy for her

Actually, it IS. Smart smart smart kiddo you have...she knows your milk is her very best nutrition.

I have tried making very kind of food there is I think. She likes to feed herself and if I make up some food grind it up give it to her she sometimes atakes a bite or two

Good. Keep doing that.

so I try to let her feed herself but now she doesnt like that either. I am lucky if she eats a couple bites a day. I need help to get her to eat, If I haveto try to wean her so be it because her nursing cannot come in the way of her health. Any ideas???????

If you wean you WILL run a risk of compromising her health. At this moment you DON"T run that risk.

She's eating solids by your own admission...just not as many as you think she should be. And ya know what? What we think is generally dead wrong.

Things are FINE...stop trying to fix what's not broken. If she gets SOME solids plus breastmilk then she WILL get what he needs. RELAX. You're pushing her faster than she wants to be pushed and that's how kids get food issues.

Step back, breathe and be delighted with every bite she DOES take. Stop worrying about the ones she doesn't.

jenntysmom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:35 PM

my nephew was like this he had gag reflex issues but he grew out of it gradually and by 18 months you couldnt even tell he started solids late he was a pro! he ate literally nothing but breastmilk for the first 13-14 months I think. You should ask your pediatritian for tips, and to make sure everything is ok

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

sk_tennyson
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:45 PM

wait a sec... didnt you ask a question about what kind of formula tastes good and your daughters doctor said to stop breastfeeding because of iron issues?

HeidilovesNyla
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Yes I did I was planning on stopping breatfeeding and tring out formula because I am worried she is not getting enough nutrition. She wont drink it anyway I baught the gow and grow formula It had extra iron in it but she hates it lol She still just breastfeeding, happily breatfeeding. Every medical person I talk to says the same my breatmilk prob doesnt have enough in it anymore and to stop. Idk what to do but I will just do my best trying to get her to eat more

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 27, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Quoting HeidilovesNyla:

Yes I did I was planning on stopping breatfeeding and tring out formula because I am worried she is not getting enough nutrition. ummm BM has 1000 nutrients that are NOT in formula..and its better abosorbed, compared to your BM formula is CRAP in a canShe wont drink it anyway I baught the gow and grow formula It had extra iron in it but she hates it lolsmart girlie She still just breastfeeding, happily breatfeeding. Every medical person I talk to says the same my breatmilk prob doesnt have enough in it anymore and to stop.well medical people have NO training in breastfeeding and infant nutrition, BM is a HUGE part of infant nutrition, have you seen an IBCLC..I really doubt a good IBCLC would tell you to wean or that your milk is lacking Idk what to do but I will just do my best trying to get her to eat morekeep nursing keep offering....it will get better

Have you seen this info?

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/toddler-foods.html

and a quote

How much should my toddler be eating?

Between ages one and five, a child's growth is in a decelerated stage; that is, they have slowed down in growth. Since growth slows down, their need for calories subsequently decreases, which in turn leads to a smaller quantity of food ingested per day. Added to the decelerated growth is a burgeoning independence which limits the variety of foods your child is willing to eat ("finicky eater"). Rest assured that toddlers do not need as much food as you might expect because of this slowing down of the growth rate. Three small meals and two snacks a day (and some will eat a good bit less) will probably be enough to fuel even the most active toddler. Please realize, too, that finicky eaters are the rule rather than the exception.

Some toddlers are eating very few solids, or even no solids, at 12 months. This is not unusual and really depends on your child - there is quite a big variation. We like to see breastmilk making up the majority (around 75%) of baby's diet at 12 months. Some babies will be taking more solids by 12 months, but others will still be exclusively or almost-exclusively breastfed at this point. It is normal for baby to keep breastmilk as the primary part of his diet up until 18 months or even longer. An example of a nice gradual increase in solids would be 25% solids at 12 months, 50% solids at 18 months, and 80% solids at 24 months.

Some children take a little longer to begin taking solids well. Some of them have food sensitivities and this may be their body's way of protecting them until their digestive system can handle more. Others are late teethers or have a lot of difficulty with teething pain. At this point there is NOTHING that your milk lacks that your child needs, with the possible exception of enough iron. As long as his iron levels are within acceptable levels and when he does eat you are offering him foods naturally rich in iron, then you have plenty of time before you need to worry about the amount of solids he's getting.

All you need to do is to continue to offer foods. Don't worry if he's not interested or takes very small amounts. Your only true responsibility is what you offer, when you offer it and how you offer it, not whether or not he eats it. That has to be up to him. Trying to force, coax, or cajole your child into eating is never recommended. Continue to nurse on demand, day and night, and trust your child to increase the solids when he's ready. As baby slowly moves into eating more solids, your milk will fill any nutritional gaps nicely.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 27, 2010 at 6:54 PM
Quoting HeidilovesNyla:

Yes I did I was planning on stopping breatfeeding and tring out formula because I am worried she is not getting enough nutrition.

Is she growing? Making milstones? Dirtying dipes?Then she's getting enough nutrition.Babies who eat too many solids get shortchanged nutritionally.

She wont drink it anyway I baught the gow and grow formula It had extra iron in it but she hates it lol

I'll say again. Smart girl. She knows what she needs.

She still just breastfeeding, happily breatfeeding. Every medical person I talk to says the same my breatmilk prob doesnt have enough in it anymore and to stop.

Problem is they get NO training in infant nutrition except maybe a few minutes in med school. Most of what they know comes from the makers of infant foods. Not exactly an unbiased source, right?

Idk what to do but I will just do my best trying to get her to eat more

Just offer and please, no more worries. You're doing FINE.

QuickMomma
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Normal,my son was the sameway with foods,he hardly ate any if any at all.He most wanted to be nursed and now he is 22 months and has slowly started to eat more foods.Its normal for some breastfed babies to not eat much or to be picky and want the breasts instead.

When she is ready she will eat more of them,don't push her otherwise she will not.Do not stop breastfeeding her because of this,that would cause awhole lot of other problems for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)