• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pregnancy food no-no's that carry over to breastfeeding no-no's

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:53 PM
  • 6 Replies

I know that after the baby is born I still need to avoid drinking while I'm breastfeeding but what about the sushi? I love sushi and can hardly wait unti l can have some agian

is there anything else you need to avoid?

Pregnancy Ticker

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Daynaof3
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:57 PM

You are very close to delivery so first I want to say good luck and early congrats!!!

Here's a link to kellymom just for this question:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-foods.html

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:28 PM
Quoting MarriedJess:

I know that after the baby is born I still need to avoid drinking while I'm breastfeeding

Not correct. ONE drink? Fine. Even two are OK. Getting stinko is NOT.

but what about the sushi? I love sushi and can hardly wait unti l can have some agian

NOTHING. Wave bye bye to those restrictions...all gone.

Boobah
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Not that you CANT have these, but it upset my baby's belly HORRIBLY!

Garlic - gassy for at LEAST 2 days after olive garden! lol

Caffeine - NO SLEEP! 

I couldn't drink tea, coffee, pop, even decaf coke or iced tea would upset her belly.

CafeMom Tickers
Kisses4Henry
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Nursing you're not as limited as being pregnant.  You CAN have sushi nursing!!!  I was SUPER excited about it.  I asked my OB during labor about that one (lmao)... I love sushi.  Foods to avoid go baby to baby.  You'll see if things you eat upset your baby.  For the first few months I had to avoid salsa cause it upset him.  & I ended up not being able to eat any dairy or trace amounts of dairy cause he was allergic.  Alcohol is alright.. but you need at least 2 hours per drink to not breastfeed.  Meaning if you have 1 drink, wait 2 hours to nurse.  If you had 2 drinks, wait 4 hours, etc.  It gets easier once your baby is older and nursing less.  My son only nurses 2-3 times a day now so I don't worry about that too much.  Back when he was a baby though I generally avoided alcohol cause he would want to nurse frequently and I wanted to be able to nurse on demand.  If you pump you don't have to pump and dump your milk from drinking.  Your body will filter the alcohol out of your breastmilk the same it does your blood.  Don't overdo it with caffiene, but some is fine.  Really just eat whatever you would normally but watch for reactions in your baby. 

Oh, but as far as sushi goes... as a fellow sushi addict I recommend you limit the fish high in mercury.  Even just for your own health.  That stuff builds up in your body.  I try not to get more than 1 roll with tuna per dinner.  Sushi quality tuna has more mercury than canned tuna or cheaper tuna. 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
MarriedJess
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Quoting Kisses4Henry:

Nursing you're not as limited as being pregnant.  You CAN have sushi nursing!!!  I was SUPER excited about it.  I asked my OB during labor about that one (lmao)... I love sushi.  Foods to avoid go baby to baby.  You'll see if things you eat upset your baby.  For the first few months I had to avoid salsa cause it upset him.  & I ended up not being able to eat any dairy or trace amounts of dairy cause he was allergic.  Alcohol is alright.. but you need at least 2 hours per drink to not breastfeed.  Meaning if you have 1 drink, wait 2 hours to nurse.  If you had 2 drinks, wait 4 hours, etc.  It gets easier once your baby is older and nursing less.  My son only nurses 2-3 times a day now so I don't worry about that too much.  Back when he was a baby though I generally avoided alcohol cause he would want to nurse frequently and I wanted to be able to nurse on demand.  If you pump you don't have to pump and dump your milk from drinking.  Your body will filter the alcohol out of your breastmilk the same it does your blood.  Don't overdo it with caffiene, but some is fine.  Really just eat whatever you would normally but watch for reactions in your baby. 

Oh, but as far as sushi goes... as a fellow sushi addict I recommend you limit the fish high in mercury.  Even just for your own health.  That stuff builds up in your body.  I try not to get more than 1 roll with tuna per dinner.  Sushi quality tuna has more mercury than canned tuna or cheaper tuna. 

yea I limit my tuna my true fav is the salmon I guess I will need to just watch my diet and babies behavior to see if any of it affects him

Pregnancy Ticker

MarriedJess
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting MarriedJess:

I know that after the baby is born I still need to avoid drinking while I'm breastfeeding

Not correct. ONE drink? Fine. Even two are OK. Getting stinko is NOT.

but what about the sushi? I love sushi and can hardly wait unti l can have some agian

NOTHING. Wave bye bye to those restrictions...all gone.

bah no biggie I dont like drinking anyway

Pregnancy Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)