Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it my pump or my boob?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:59 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi Ladies-

I am am mom to a 5 -1/2 month DD and a 2 yro DS.

I have had supply issues since I had a medical condition when DD was two months old that forced me to stop BF her for three days. Luckily I had a supply frozen for her, but my supply has never regained its former glory.

I supplement for the babysitter and BF in the morning and night. I use fenugreek, blessed thistle, oatmeal, mothers milk tea, reglan and a lactation tincture to keep up my supply! I know it is a lot, but I switch them out so that they keep working.

My question now is that when I pump with my Ameda double electric pump, I can only get a small amount, about 1 oz from one side, but if I hand express I get double the amount if I have the time to do it.

Is it my pump? Hand expressing is messy and I end up with more on my hand than in the cup! Is there a better way to do it?

Any thoughts/ideas are welcome! Thanks.

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:15 PM
Quoting punkrockmama13:

Hi Ladies-

I am am mom to a 5 -1/2 month DD and a 2 yro DS.

I have had supply issues since I had a medical condition when DD was two months old that forced me to stop BF her for three days. Luckily I had a supply frozen for her, but my supply has never regained its former glory.

Be aware that your "fo.mrer glory" was likely engorgement AND regulation. You're not supposed to feel full and pumping output is unimportant. The ONLY measure is dipes...if you've aleways changed 6-8 then your supplyhas always been fine.

I supplement for the babysitter and BF in the morning and night. I use fenugreek, blessed thistle, oatmeal, mothers milk tea, reglan and a lactation tincture to keep up my supply! I know it is a lot, but I switch them out so that they keep working.

That's fine.

My question now is that when I pump with my Ameda double electric pump, I can only get a small amount, about 1 oz from one side, but if I hand express I get double the amount if I have the time to do it.

That's normal. Hand expression usually does seem to get better results.

Is it my pump? Hand expressing is messy and I end up with more on my hand than in the cup! Is there a better way to do it?

Any thoughts/ideas are welcome! Thanks.

it's not your pump any more than it is for anyuone else. Many women get better results with hand expression. But one ounce is a normal amount as well. Expect one half ounce to two ounces TOTAL in a session. More is a blessing and should NEVER be expected.

The only problem I see here is what you expect.

Daynaof3
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Some moms respond well to pumps some don't, some moms respond best to hand expression. If hand expression works best for you then I would suggest you do that instead. Try expressing into/over a large bowl if you don't already, that way what ever drips will drip into the bowl. Make sure your hands are clean before you hand express if you don't already.

The Ameda pump is a very nice pump but check the parts on the pump to make sure they are working correctly, and make sure to check the tubing for cracks or wholes. You can do breast massage before and during pumping as well. Also do some gentle nipple stretching before you start. Hope that helps some! 

punkrockmama13
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:16 PM

thanks for the help, it is good to know that it is normal. I do expect a lot i guess!

Gruntlings
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:42 PM

1 ounce is awesome. :) I could only pump a quarter of an ounce to three ounces at the height of production. :) From both breasts combined. And that's completely normal output to a pump. 

If you can hand express more, you might find that you respond better to a manual pump than to an electric one. I did better with a manual Avent ISIS pump than I did with anything else.

------------------------------
You wouldn't take driving lessons with that uncle that never got his license.. You wouldn't trade recipes with the neighbor who only ever feeds her family TV Dinners.. You wouldn't train for a marathon with the friend who gets tired of running after a mile. And if your mom says that no one in your family has ever been able to do it, don't expect her to teach you how.. Get advice from people that have MADE IT WORK. It doesn't have to be hard. It doesn't have to be painful. We've been there. We've done it. You can, too!

Come join us in Cafemom's largest breastfeeding group:
http://cafemom.com/group/breastfeeding

Sara/29/SAHM of 3 year old boy/Due w #2 July 4 2010!/Breastfeeding group mod.

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Quoting Gruntlings:

1 ounce is awesome. :) I could only pump a quarter of an ounce to three ounces at the height of production. :) From both breasts combined. And that's completely normal output to a pump. 

If you can hand express more, you might find that you respond better to a manual pump than to an electric one. I did better with a manual Avent ISIS pump than I did with anything else.

I have this manual pump and the output is better than from my electric - - hand expression is better than both for me  :)  One thing that I've noticed with both of my pumps is that the valves need to be changed out every couple of months or the amount I can pump really takes a nose dive.  But, like the other moms said, 1-2 ounces total is normal for pumping. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)