• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast feeding and introducing food

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:20 PM
  • 2 Replies

I have yet to have my baby,(she is due march 2nd, 2010) so I know I still have time, but I would like to breastfeed exclusively  for possibly over a year.

So my question is, for those that breast fed for a year or more, when did you start introducing other foods?  

What foods did you introduce?

I don't know if it's realistic to just breast feed alone with no other foods after six months.  Is it possible?  Is it a healthy decision?  

I don't want to throw my daughter into the world of food before she's really ready.

Thanks so much for letting me know your experiences.

-J

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:24 PM

You can introduce mashed banana or avocado at six months. It's truly no big deal. If baby's ready it'll be swallowed..oif not, it'll be pushed out.

YES...you can delay to one year if you want. I've known moms to do it and their kids are ridiculously healthy.

Solids are NOT vital for a healthy baby. They're for experimentation only.

Gruntlings
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Quoting Naely2010:

I have yet to have my baby,(she is due march 2nd, 2010) so I know I still have time, but I would like to breastfeed exclusively  for possibly over a year.

Great choice. :) No reason why that shouldn't be a realistic goal. Just make sure you get support early on, and try to only take the advice of people that HAVE met that goal. Avoid the advice of anyone who weaned earlier or never breastfed. (This applies to solids advice, sleep advice, schedule advice, breastfeeding advice, pacifier advice, etc. etc.)

So my question is, for those that breast fed for a year or more, when did you start introducing other foods?  

6 months. Knowing what I know NOW, though, I would have waited until 8-9 months which is when my son got his first tooth. Appearance of teeth after the 6mo mark apparently seems to coincide with the readiness of the GI tract for solid foods.

What foods did you introduce?

I started with either green beans or peas. Can't remember which, now. Knowing what I know now I'd probably start with avocado.

I don't know if it's realistic to just breast feed alone with no other foods after six months.  Is it possible?  Is it a healthy decision?  

Yes. ESPECIALLY if your child hasn't met other readiness milestones such as having at least one tooth, ability to sit up for longer periods of time unassisted, ability to grab food off of plate and put it in their own mouth, complete absence of tongue-thrust reflex.. Baby does not need solids until closer to a year.

When you do introduce solids, the best way to introduce them in a "weaning will be child-led or take place after the one year mark" is to breastfeed BEFORE solids (as in immediately before. Nurse, then offer a spoonful or two of solids after baby has nursed.). Don't introduce regular (3 meals/day) meals until after the one year mark. After the one year mark solids should come before nursing and mealtimes should be gradually increased to 3 meals/day, and snacks should be added gradually after that.

------------------------------
You wouldn't take driving lessons with that uncle that never got his license.. You wouldn't trade recipes with the neighbor who only ever feeds her family TV Dinners.. You wouldn't train for a marathon with the friend who gets tired of running after a mile. And if your mom says that no one in your family has ever been able to do it, don't expect her to teach you how.. Get advice from people that have MADE IT WORK. It doesn't have to be hard. It doesn't have to be painful. We've been there. We've done it. You can, too!

Come join us in Cafemom's largest breastfeeding group:
http://cafemom.com/group/breastfeeding

Sara/29/SAHM of 3 year old boy/Due w #2 July 4 2010!/Breastfeeding group mod.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)