Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my first NIP encounter with stupid people haha

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:25 PM
  • 28 Replies

I went to the flea market today and my baby got hungry so I found a quiet spot at a picnic table used my nifty nursing cover (said sarcastically .. its a pain in the neck haha) and fed my baby.

this group of old men sat at the table next to us smiled politly and talked to my older son and played around with him they were sweet never looked twice at me didnt care at all!.. then these two ladies sat down at the other end of our table and didnt think I could hear them say " amazing huh? to think she would do that with all these people around!!"

so I turned to them and said "so sorry next time I will let my baby starve!" they had nothing to say after that!

Its so weird to me that women in their 60's would have such a problem with it.. did they not breastfeed back then? and you could see NOTHING! not even my son's feet sticking out haha People are so rude!!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2boys2love79
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Actually, many women did not.  I believe it was a bit of a status symbol issue.  Breastfeeding was for poor women, basically.  I don't think doctors encouraged it.

Quoting jenntysmom:

I went to the flea market today and my baby got hungry so I found a quiet spot at a picnic table used my nifty nursing cover (said sarcastically .. its a pain in the neck haha) and fed my baby.

this group of old men sat at the table next to us smiled politly and talked to my older son and played around with him they were sweet never looked twice at me didnt care at all!.. then these two ladies sat down at the other end of our table and didnt think I could hear them say " amazing huh? to think she would do that with all these people around!!"

so I turned to them and said "so sorry next time I will let my baby starve!" they had nothing to say after that!

Its so weird to me that women in their 60's would have such a problem with it.. did they not breastfeed back then? and you could see NOTHING! not even my son's feet sticking out haha People are so rude!!

"Seems to me, I'm exactly where I dreamt I would be.  And the view from here is something to see..."

jenntysmom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:31 PM

wow thats really sad

Quoting 2boys2love79:

Actually, many women did not.  I believe it was a bit of a status symbol issue.  Breastfeeding was for poor women, basically.  I don't think doctors encouraged it.

Quoting jenntysmom:

geminishadow79
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Thats what I was always told by grandmother too.  most women of that generation formula fed because the drs encouraged it and because it was a status symbol.  No one wanted to be seen nursing when they could show off how much money they  had by buying pricey formula

shymom24
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Alot of people I know at that age did not breastfeed. It was a bit "taboo".

Angelmomov3boyz  created this wonderful pic for me!

Living life through the eyes of a child!

Susan0805
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Yeah my grandmother would tell me all the time that I should stop... she's pretty much given up by now but it wasnt the norm in my family. My great grandma fed her babies fresh cows milk and my grandmother and mom both did formula...I was the first to break the "norm" and everyone was trying to talk me down. It is sad..I hope that it will be the norm to breastfeed for my kids.

______________________________________________________________________________________

My Life:

Ati_13
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:35 PM

My grandmother was in her 70's when I asked her if she had breastfed her 5 kids.  She said no, not ever, not even once.  I asked howcome and she said "It was frowned upon."  Which, in grandma speak, means that if you did it you were dirty, abusive, and uneducated.  She was DIRT POOR and fed her kids canned milk with Karo syrup, not even any nutrients added, just plain, full fat canned cow's milk.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.  I only had one lady ever say something nasty.  I was walking in the mall, nursing my daughter (yes, at the same time, no not with a cover lol) and when she thought she was out of earshot she said "Disgusting."  I was gonna turn around and give her what-for, but my husband stopped me lol.  It's always the old ladies who have the biggest problem with it.  I honestly think it's because they feel guilty, now knowing that they could have done so much better for their kids and didn't because of the status quo and peer pressure.

Quoting 2boys2love79:

Quoting jenntysmom:

jenntysmom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Quoting Ati_13:

My grandmother was in her 70's when I asked her if she had breastfed her 5 kids.  She said no, not ever, not even once.  I asked howcome and she said "It was frowned upon."  Which, in grandma speak, means that if you did it you were dirty, abusive, and uneducated.  She was DIRT POOR and fed her kids canned milk with Karo syrup, not even any nutrients added, just plain, full fat canned cow's milk.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.  I only had one lady ever say something nasty.  I was walking in the mall, nursing my daughter (yes, at the same time, no not with a cover lol) and when she thought she was out of earshot she said "Disgusting."  I was gonna turn around and give her what-for, but my husband stopped me lol.  It's always the old ladies who have the biggest problem with it.  I honestly think it's because they feel guilty, now knowing that they could have done so much better for their kids and didn't because of the status quo and peer pressure. I AGREE!!!!!!

Quoting 2boys2love79:

Quoting jenntysmom:

Brooklynsmom119
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:42 PM

they should be ashamed of themselves. my grandmother is 83 and has 6 children and she never breast-fed nor were they wealthy enough to buy formula. her kids drank carnation pet milk. she would always ask my girlfriend and i "you two still molesting those babies" and i mean around 5 and 6 months old. i had to stop listening to her when my daughter was getting close to a year old and still bf'ing

Brooklyn's Mommy

breastfeeding I'm a huge fan of whipping out the boob! Lets feed our children!

Breast are actually for breastfeeding. Society makes breast sexual which makes mothers uneasy about feeding their children the way God intended for them to be fed. Remember that the breasts function are to feed our babies, not for a mans amusement.

Gruntlings
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Nope, women in their 60's were moms during the height of the formula feeding era. Sad, but they likely never breastfed or saw a breastfeeding infant before the current-day.

My mom breastfed her kids, and she was an oddity.  Her first she only made it to 3mos because she had no support and her mom had formula fed her after being told her milk was "too rich". Ironically my mom was very sickly and had failure to thrive as an infant. Gee, wonder why. The second she made it to 2.5 years (brother self-weaned when she became pregnant with me), and the third (me) she made it to 4.5 years before I self-weaned. :)

She's going to be 64 or 65 this December.

------------------------------
You wouldn't take driving lessons with that uncle that never got his license.. You wouldn't trade recipes with the neighbor who only ever feeds her family TV Dinners.. You wouldn't train for a marathon with the friend who gets tired of running after a mile. And if your mom says that no one in your family has ever been able to do it, don't expect her to teach you how.. Get advice from people that have MADE IT WORK. It doesn't have to be hard. It doesn't have to be painful. We've been there. We've done it. You can, too!

Come join us in Cafemom's largest breastfeeding group:
http://cafemom.com/group/breastfeeding

Sara/29/SAHM of 3 year old boy/Due w #2 July 4 2010!/Breastfeeding group mod.

Melissa0216
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Quoting 2boys2love79:

Quoting jenntysmom:

Actually, some doctors DID encourage it.  My mom-mom did not BF any of her five children and she distinctly remembers her OB telling her that "boobs were meant to feed babies, not fill blouses." 

Young, married, fulltime working, non-daycare sending, three day preschool attending, breast and [pumped] bottle feeding, non-pacifier plugging, vaxing, baby wearing, cloth diapering, family bed sharing, proud Republican, motorcycle riding, non-degreed mommy of three little boys - Rylan [4y], McKade [2y], and Taveon [5m] - that loves shopping, cake decorating, sewing, and reading.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)