Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

for those with siblings

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:44 PM
  • 21 Replies

did they breastfeed? if no why

my oldest sister ihas 3 kids never breastfeed. she thoink is a pian in the ass. stupid gross and she doenst belive is any better then formula

my middle sister try for like a week. with both her girls and then she said screw it.  she has horrible flat nipples. i mean is bad. and she had no idea what a nipple shield was. but i dont think she would ahve bf long. she thinks bf past 6 mts is nasty

i am a sahm and not loving it that much, prolife,progay marriage, immigration supported, gun supporter, feed your baby what you want, erf,spanking non cio, co-sleeping, photography lover kinda of mom in love with a u.s marine.
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
riotgrrl
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I have one brother and he has a little girl who is almost 3. She was not breastfed because her mother was incarcerated several states away when she was born and it just wasn't possible. It was a sad situation all around and I felt bad that she could not be breastfed on top of it. I was still breastfeeding my then-9 month old and offered him some frozen milk so my niece could get some of the health benefits as a baby, but that was a little too much for him. He knows breast as best and wished that her mom could have nursed her, but not enough to use donated milk instead of formula.

Most of my family are breastfeeders. My mom and my aunt breastfed their kids, and most of my cousins breastfeed their babies at least for a while.

Gruntlings
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Only two of my siblings have kids. I'm not sure what one of them did, but one of them breastfed for a year while at home and used formula/bottles while out. They have a different mom than I do.

My mom breastfed 3 kids. The first for 3 months until bad advice sabotaged her. The second (my brother) for 2.5 years until he self-weaned when she became pregnant with me, and then me (third and final child) until I self-weaned at 4.5. She didn't even restrict nursing in public when I was older. She simply glared right back at anyone who stared. :p Awesome woman.

My son breastfed for 3 years 24 days and self weaned when I was 3 months pregnant with my second child who is due July 4, 2010. :)

------------------------------
You wouldn't take driving lessons with that uncle that never got his license.. You wouldn't trade recipes with the neighbor who only ever feeds her family TV Dinners.. You wouldn't train for a marathon with the friend who gets tired of running after a mile. And if your mom says that no one in your family has ever been able to do it, don't expect her to teach you how.. Get advice from people that have MADE IT WORK. It doesn't have to be hard. It doesn't have to be painful. We've been there. We've done it. You can, too!

Come join us in Cafemom's largest breastfeeding group:
http://cafemom.com/group/breastfeeding

Sara/29/SAHM of 3 year old boy/Due w #2 July 4 2010!/Breastfeeding group mod.

Kisses4Henry
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I have 2 sisters.  The oldest one is 40.  She has 6 children.  She breastfed each of them for at least 6 months.  I don't think she nursed any past 9/10 months... this one is the last though I believe and I think she might go to a year.  She isn't comfortable nursing once they are walking around, etc... but she is comfortable with other people doing so.

My other sister doesn't have kids yet.  She's 24.  She wants to be like our oldest sister so she will no doubt attempt to breastfeed.  I can see her nursing and supplementing for a few months before doing full formula.  I could also see her pumping instead of feeding from the breast... maybe only pumping for a month or two.

I am the baby (23) and I am an extended breastfeeder.  My oldest sister (like I said) respects it.  The other sister probably has views closer to my mother.  & my mother thinks it's disturbing.  & btw.. I had one flat and one inverted nipple and you can nurse with them without a nipple shield just fine.  I didn't offer a paci cause my nipples were nothing like them and I didn't want to confuse him... but if you don't they just get used to all they know and it works just fine.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Misery_Stitches
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:04 PM

One of my sisters chose not to... she is also one to think its disgusting and gross. I am kind of glad that she didnt anyway as her milk would have been poison. She was and still is a hard drugs girl. I cared for her son most of his life... she doesnt know (but the rest of my family does and fully supported me and WANTED me to do it)... but her son had lots of my milk (we had our babies 2 mths apart). She would often have no money for him (as drugs and alcohol are WAY more important), drop him off for days on end and expect us to be able to feed her son with nothing. I guess she assumed I would pay for the formula but I couldnt afford it either as I was a stay at home single mum on the benefit at the time, so I pumped it and put it in bottles for him LOL

My other sister has recently just had a baby and is proudly breastfeeding :) She is only 18 so Im glad that she sees the benefits. I reminded her the other day when her boy had turned a month old...."You just saved yourself between $80 to $150 because you are breastfeeding". She was happy with that LOL

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

pregnancy calendar
hoping4number3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:25 PM

one of my sisters (who is expecting a surprise baby #6 at 38 lol) b'fed, but someone convinced her that weaning at 6months was best. (this was 10+ yrs ago). So her 5 kids were b'fed but she quit at 6 months. (this new baby she is going to "be like me" and shoot for at least a year :) My other sister supplemented til 3 months, then went straight to formula after that.

SO, lol my inner secret goal is to BEAT both my sisters, so when I hit that 6 month mark and am still EBF..I'm going to do a mini victory dance! Because I'll have been the ONLY girl in our family to b'feed past 6 months! :)

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Want your pre-baby body back!? Click here! 

MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:26 PM

I have 3 brothers and 2 sisters. One of my brothers and one of my sisters has a child each. My sister couldn't get her DD to latch so she went to strictly pumping. By 6 months, my niece was strictly FF'ed. My brother's GF at the time gave up after 2 days and strictly went to FF after that. I'm the only one in my family who nursed past a few weeks (my twins are 3)

vances_mom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:43 PM
I have 2 brothers and 1 sister. My sister is the only one with a child. She "tried" for a couple days, but gave up. The nurse in the hospital actually told her "some babies just can't breastfeed"!!! Lyndsie was having latching issues and my sister wouldn't listen to any of my advise. She thinks formula is just as good. The sad thing is, when we were little and our mom was BFing our brother, Kerri would pretend to nurse her babydoll. :(
Mom2Bria
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:51 PM

My sister had her first when she was 17...She did breastfeed him for a couple months...But then turned to formula because she wanted to be a teenager...I think she BF my niece for a couple months  as well....She had her when she was 20...Not to sure on why she stopped...Then with her last one, she tryed to breastfeed, but my sister ended up in the ICU with kidney failure and the meds she was on killed whatever supply she would have gotten! (I was still Bfing at the time and pumped for my niece) She was super bummed because she wanted to try really had with this one...Being it will be her last one...She was 28 at the time of delivery....

With that said...I breastfed my DD for 16 months....My mom thought that I was starving my child and always asked me when I was going to give her "real" food...My sister was jealous that I was able to make it work....I plan to BF this new baby as long as I did with Brianna!

toddler girlin lovepregnant belly~*~Holly~*~

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Brianna Isabelle

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Heather881029
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM

I have 1 sister and 1 brother.  My sister has one little girl who is 8 months old.  My sister had trouble getting my niece to latch when she was born so she started pumping and seeing an LC.  She tried but finally got overwhelmed and decided to just pump.  Then she realized that exclusively pumping was even more work so she stopped at 6 weeks and my niece has been formula fed ever since.  My brother has no children.  And our mom did not breastfeed any of us.  I am the only member of my family to breastfeed any child past 6 months. 

xtwistedxlovex
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:06 PM

All 8 who've had kids used formula, but some breastfed a little at the start. I don't know their reasons.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)