Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

okay so I have some questions...I am going to give a lot of info and some of it may be a little TMI!! lol

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:10 PM
  • 18 Replies

Well to start off with my daughter was born at 35 weeks and she is a little over 6lbs now...she is growing awesome, but she just started getting to the point where she was growing awesome.  She will be a month old in just 3 more days.  She is always hungry after we nurse and so then we have to bottle feed.  We spent a week and a few days with me pumping every two hours (we alternated, she would nurse every other time).  Even doing this my breast still aren't producing enough to satify her.  It is getting really hard to keep up with nursing and bottle feeding every four hours.  It takes two hours just to get her fed.  I wonder if the fact that I have one breast that is a D cup and increasing from BF and another breast that is an A cup and staying there even though I am BF off of that one too (I never get more than a tbls out of that breast when I pump but have been told that has no bearing on how much it is producing.  If that is so then why can't I get more out of it?)

So here are my questions:

Has this happened to anyone else? 

Does anyone else have the same problem with there breast that I do?

Has she gotten enough of my anti bodies and all the "good stuff" from BF for me to be okay to stop.

Am I doing something wrong? 

Does anyone else feel frustrated with BF, even though they know how good it is for baby?

How long do your babies feed on each breast? 

Also I am trapped at home because I can't BF in public, I don't have a proper bra of anything for BF'ing and it's upsetting because even if I could afford a BF bra they don't have pads so I can't hide the difference in my breast. 

Thanks for the help. 

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:27 PM
We'll start here...no such thing as TMI here. **smile**
Quoting adamy06:

Well to start off with my daughter was born at 35 weeks and she is a little over 6lbs now...she is growing awesome,

EXCELLENT!

but she just started getting to the point where she was growing awesome. 

To be expected. Remember to adjust her age in all your considerations.

She will be a month old in just 3 more days.  She is always hungry after we nurse

Are you timing? If so..STOP. Put her to breast, leav eher there as l;ong as she wants to be there. She doesn't need a bottle..she needs to be left on the breast as long as she wants. You need a mallet for you watch, though...to smash it.

and so then we have to bottle feed. 

That will cause you problems...so please stop unless you're not changing enough dipes.

We spent a week and a few days with me pumping every two hours (we alternated, she would nurse every other time).  Even doing this my breast still aren't producing enough to satify her.

YES THEY ARE. But stop looking for satisfied. It's an impossible marker...her job is to NEVER be satisfied...just liek your mother in law. COUNT DIPES. 6=8 changes a day means your supply is FINE.

It is getting really hard to keep up with nursing and bottle feeding every four hours.

STOP THE BOTTLES. You've fallen into the most common trap...thinking you're not making enough. You ARE.. Count dipes., Look for NOTHING but the dipe count. And I do mean NOTHING but the dipe count...NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.

It takes two hours just to get her fed. 

She should be left at the breast duroing that whole timeNver remove her unless she comes off on her own.

I wonder if the fact that I have one breast that is a D cup and increasing from BF and another breast that is an A cup and staying there

Means NOTHING.

even though I am BF off of that one too (I never get more than a tbls out of that breast when I pump but have been told that has no bearing on how much it is producing.  If that is so then why can't I get more out of it?)

Because you're a normal female. It still has nothing to do with anything. Relax on that. It's like being right or left handed, that's all.

Has this happened to anyone else? NORMAL pitfall. Dump the pump and bottles and you'll be FINE.

Does anyone else have the same problem with there breast that I do? EVERY woman has this to a greater or lesser degree. EVERY WOMAN...unless she only has one breast.

Has she gotten enough of my anti bodies and all the "good stuff" from BF for me to be okay to stop.

You don't even need to think about stopping ifd you don't want.

Am I doing something wrong? See above. L:ooks like you are but it's easily fixed.

Does anyone else feel frustrated with BF, even though they know how good it is for baby? Heh heh heh...if you don't want to throw the baby out the window at least once a day something is wrong. Bonding is infant self defense top make siure you don't FOLLOW that desire.

How long do your babies feed on each breast? Mine would stay on side one for an hour in the beginning. Burp, switch. You shouldn't know anything about time. NO TIMING.

Also I am trapped at home because I can't BF in public, I don't have a proper bra of anything for BF'ing and it's upsetting because even if I could afford a BF bra they don't have pads so I can't hide the difference in my breast. 

Nursing bras are onl;y for convenience. Many moms don't use them. And the difference will even out to the point where YUOU are th eonly one who sees it...and you will see it forever. I still do, ten years later...but my husband tells me I'm ridiculous.

Thanks for the help. 

Relax. You're doing SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU THINK. You're just looking for the wrong things. That is a normal mistake.

DragonRiderMD
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Have you tried leaving your baby at the breast? If she's still hungry after eating on both sides, try putting her on the first side again, and keep switching off until she's satisfied. I know it's frustrating to have to do this, but it is normal for babies to "cluster feed" like that, and it gets better with time, it's not like that forever. My daughter did that a lot at first, mostly at night (go figure), but she outgrew it within a few weeks. She's now 9 months old and still breastfeeding like a pro. If you can get through these first couple of months (maybe a little longer with a preemie, I don't have experience with that), it gets sooo much easier, it makes it very worth it in the long run to work through the rough patches.

And breastfeeding is good for as long as you choose to do it. There's no maximum amount of "goodness". If you were to stop now, she would benefit from what breastmilk she's already gotten, but if you were to continue, she'd get even more "good stuff".

palexander
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 1:22 AM

From my experience, breastfeeding a premie is tougher than on full-term. I was told when my twins were born that if it takes them longer than 30 minutes to take a bottle then they are burning more calories than they are taking.

My suggestion-take away all bottles. Put her to the breast and watch for her to stop active nursing. When she isn't swallowing or her ears aren't wiggling when she is sucking, "pop" her off, burb, change her diaper, and offer second breast. Nurse on demand. Every hour if need be. Don't watch the clock. You can nurse her then pump. But don't expect to get anything at any pumping. Most women don't get much when pumping. Drink LOTS of water. Count diapers, count diapers, count diapers.

Also you just went through the 3 week growth spurt and she is due for another. So she could be going through a growth spurt. 

christen.
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 7:12 AM

Breastfeeding is frustrating ive only been doing it for a month(almost) and i find myself in tears about it at least once a day but i guess its normal and myself personally after 3 diffrent brands of nursing bras found out that sports bras are more comfy......

puppyChristen Mommy to Lacey born December 12 28 2009 8lbs 12oz 21inches Step-Mommy to Breanna Wifey To Brennan Married December 12 2008

vances_mom
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:04 AM
Hey momma! Ihave a similar story. I'm off to school right now, but I'll get back online and answer some questions for you around 2pm (east coast time). Hang in there! You aren't alone in this!!!
QueenFelicia
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Hugs to you. I have been breastfeeding for 12 weeks now, and yes, in the beginning it was HARD. It has gotten easier. I was worried I wasn't making enough because he wanted the boob every 1-2 hours round the clock the first 6 weeks. I didnt start using a pump until about 7 weeks for "occasional" stock, and now I use one twice a day at work. I also think pumping is VERY HARD - way harder than leaving that baby on my boob! Unless you have to leave her for any amount of time - why not just breastfeed?

Congrats on the baby!! Try to RELAX and enjoy that sweetness...

vances_mom
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I had the same difference in my breasts. When I was 19, I had surgery to try and correct it. My plastic surgeon did a reduction on the large side (left) and put implants in both sides. When I got pregnant with DS, I read the the side that had a reduction would be harder to get milk out of because of the trauma to the nerves and tissue. The whole time I nursed him (3mo total) I'd put him to the right breast first, thinking it would be the better milk maker. Saddly, I had to start supplementing because he was STILL under his birth weight at 4 weeks. After a few weeks of getting bottles, he wanted nothing to do with my breasts.

I did some research on it, and come to find out, I have one breast that is "normal" (left) and the one that is smaller (right) is a tubular hypoplastic breast. The reason for the huge difference in tissue was because there really was no glandular (milk making) tissue in my right breast. It's concidered a conjenital deformity and there is nothing to prevent it.

Quoting adamy06:

Well to start off with my daughter was born at 35 weeks and she is a little over 6lbs now...she is growing awesome, but she just started getting to the point where she was growing awesome.  She will be a month old in just 3 more days.  She is always hungry after we nurse and so then we have to bottle feed.  We spent a week and a few days with me pumping every two hours (we alternated, she would nurse every other time).  Even doing this my breast still aren't producing enough to satify her.  It is getting really hard to keep up with nursing and bottle feeding every four hours.  It takes two hours just to get her fed.  I wonder if the fact that I have one breast that is a D cup and increasing from BF and another breast that is an A cup and staying there even though I am BF off of that one too (I never get more than a tbls out of that breast when I pump but have been told that has no bearing on how much it is producing.  If that is so then why can't I get more out of it?) That's how it is when I pump, too. Inspite of the lack of milk, KEEP STIMULATING the breast!

Has this happened to anyone else?  Yup :-)

Does anyone else have the same problem with there breast that I do? Google the term Hypoplastic breast. It will be so eye-opening to your situation!

Has she gotten enough of my anti bodies and all the "good stuff" from BF for me to be okay to stop. Even though I have to work at least twice as hard as most BFing mommas, I could not give up. I had to prove to myself that it could be done! There is no time limit on when the "good stuff" stop being good for them.

Am I doing something wrong? nothing wrong and not your fault! 

Does anyone else feel frustrated with BF, even though they know how good it is for baby? like I said, it's a struggle, but worth it.

How long do your babies feed on each breast?  Because i now know what is going on with my breasts, I always feed on the left (larger) first. If she still acting like she's hungry, I offer the right. Sometimes even after that, we go back to the left (not that often, but it has happened). She usually nurses on the left for 15mins, but I never time it. I just switch sides when she pops off on her own.

Also I am trapped at home because I can't BF in public, I don't have a proper bra of anything for BF'ing and it's upsetting because even if I could afford a BF bra they don't have pads so I can't hide the difference in my breast.  Do you use a mastectomy prosthetic? That's what I used from 9th grade until I had my surgery. When we go out, I always nurse Harper on the left (larger) side only. She's 7m/o and very distracted, so that's usually enough to keep her content. Also, if you have a cover, you could pop the prosthetic out of the bra and put it in the diaper bag from under the cover. No one would notice anything (well, other than the cover :-))

Thanks for the help. 

You need to stop giving bottles and invest in a supplemental nursing system (SNS). That is what saved my nursing relationship with Harper. In the morning, I had great supply, so I'd just nurse her on demand for a few hours. In the evening, when it's normal to have a bit of a supply dip, I would give her 2oz via the SNS while she was nursing. I'd nurse her without it first, then I'd give her 1oz on the left side then burp and switch (right breast with the SNS). She would usually take about 4-6oz in the evening between 2 or 3 feedings. It gave the breasts the stimulation they needed to produce more milk. I was able to get my supply up enough that we quit using the SNS when she was 5 1/2m/o. The key is to give the breasts as much stimulation as possible! NO MORE BOTTLES!!! It seemed like Harper was on me for 16 hours a day. It was hard in the beginning, but so worth it in the end. DD is 7m/o and there is no sign of stopping anytime in the near future!

I used the Lact-aid SNS and I have nothing but great things to say about it. The inventor originally invented it so she could breast feed her adopted baby. Here is the link to her site. The customer service is amazing and the product is wonderful. I know that it might seem kind of expencive, but think about how much you'll save if you can get off (or prevent needing to buy) formula!

http://www.lact-aid.com/

Good luck, momma! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me! Nothing is off limits! I'll nswer any question about the situation you may have!!!!

adamy06
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Thank you guys so much for all of your wonderful info.  I tried every two hours last night...we didn't last very long for two reasons 1st off I should say we don't go to bed until about 1a and between 10p and 1a we were doing just fine...nursed 2-3 times in that time period.  We got back up at 3a to nurse but she wasn't having any of it, after 1 1/2 hours she was screaming because she wasn't getting enough and I was completely exhausted (I have Hypothyroidism and even when it's under control I need sleep or it will go out of wack again.  I know it isn't this way for most women with HT but it always has been for me and my endocrinolgist says that mine goes out of wack more than he has ever seen...blah, makes nursing even more difficult) so I gave her 1 ounce off of the bottle to calm her down enough to nurse and then we nursed again on both sides and then she was off again...however I was so tired from the whole thing that when my alarm went off I couldn't get up...we ended up not nursing again until 9a and then not again until 1p.  Both times she would nurse for quite a while and then she would scream and not touch a breast until she got a bottle.  As I stated above I have Hypothyroidism so I can't take Fenugreek or Mother's Milk tea...and the only thing outside of trying oatmeal that I can see is I am going to talk to my OBGYN about Reglan and see if it ups my Milk production enough that we can go every four hours and that she can get full from what I am producing.  Any suggestions...Does this sound like something that would work?

vances_mom
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Quoting adamy06:

Thank you guys so much for all of your wonderful info.  I tried every two hours last night...we didn't last very long for two reasons 1st off I should say we don't go to bed until about 1a and between 10p and 1a we were doing just fine...nursed 2-3 times in that time period. That's OK. it's cluster feeding at it's finest :-) she's just signaling your body to make more.  We got back up at 3a to nurse but she wasn't having any of it, after 1 1/2 hours she was screaming because she wasn't getting enough and I was completely exhausted (I have Hypothyroidism and even when it's under control I need sleep or it will go out of wack again.  I know it isn't this way for most women with HT but it always has been for me and my endocrinolgist says that mine goes out of wack more than he has ever seen...blah, makes nursing even more difficult) so I gave her 1 ounce off of the bottle to calm her down enough to nurse and then we nursed again on both sides and then she was off again...however I was so tired from the whole thing that when my alarm went off I couldn't get up...we ended up not nursing again until 9a and then not again until 1p. 3-9 isn't such a big deal (although with her being a premie that's probably not good) but 9-1 isn't so good. Because of the longer stretch of sleep in the morning, she needs to nurse more during the day.  Both times she would nurse for quite a while and then she would scream and not touch a breast until she got a bottle. like I said, get an SNS! it's a life saver! all the time she spends on the bottle is time that she's not stimulating your breasts to make more milk.   As I stated above I have Hypothyroidism so I can't take Fenugreek or Mother's Milk tea...and the only thing outside of trying oatmeal that I can see is I am going to talk to my OBGYN about Reglan What about Domperidome? I'm not sure if it's contraidicated with the HT, but it might be looking into. Reglan can cause anxiety and depression. I've taken both and domperidome worked best for me. and see if it ups my Milk production enough that we can go every four hours a breast fed baby will NEVER go 4 hours between feedings! Some do at night, but they make up for it during the day by nursing more. A BF baby needs to eat 8-14 times a day depending on how old, how efficient at getting the milk out and how much milk is there to begin with. 4 hours is TOO LONG for every stretch! and that she can get full from what I am producing.  Any suggestions...Does this sound like something that would work? sorry, but nope. a BF baby isn't going to go 4 hours between all feedings. espcially a newborn. ESPCIALLY a premie

vances_mom
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Quoting adamy06:

Thank you guys so much for all of your wonderful info.  I tried every two hours last night...we didn't last very long for two reasons 1st off I should say we don't go to bed until about 1a and between 10p and 1a we were doing just fine...nursed 2-3 times in that time period.  We got back up at 3a to nurse but she wasn't having any of it, Did you wake her up? she may have been more upset about the fact that you woke her up than with there not being "enough" milk. When Harper is tired, she won't nurse either, she just wants sleep... try feeding every 2 waking hours. after 1 1/2 hours she was screaming because she wasn't getting enough and I was completely exhausted (I have Hypothyroidism and even when it's under control I need sleep or it will go out of wack again.  I know it isn't this way for most women with HT but it always has been for me and my endocrinolgist says that mine goes out of wack more than he has ever seen...blah, makes nursing even more difficult) so I gave her 1 ounce off of the bottle to calm her down enough to nurse and then we nursed again on both sides and then she was off again...however I was so tired from the whole thing that when my alarm went off I couldn't get up...we ended up not nursing again until 9a and then not again until 1p.  Both times she would nurse for quite a while and then she would scream and not touch a breast until she got a bottle.  As I stated above I have Hypothyroidism so I can't take Fenugreek or Mother's Milk tea...and the only thing outside of trying oatmeal that I can see is I am going to talk to my OBGYN about Reglan and see if it ups my Milk production enough that we can go every four hours and that she can get full from what I am producing.  Any suggestions...Does this sound like something that would work?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)