• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son sleeps for 9 hours at night. How do I make sure my milk supply stays strong?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:15 PM
  • 4 Replies

My 7 month old son sleeps for 9 hours at night.  How do I make sure my milk supply stays strong?  I know I should pump, but how often?  Probably a dumb question, but will my body know to make less at night, but more during the day?  P.S.  I am a stay at home mom and exclusively breastfeed.  My supply seems good now, but I'm scared it will lessen. 

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MissiHampt
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:19 PM

You don't need to worry about it at all.  Your body will regulate to his schedule so you always have plenty during his awake time and less at night. 

Missi....loving wife to Jason, mommy to Ricky (1-12-05), and soon to be mommy to Logan Douglas (due Feb 2010).  I'm a cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding till baby wants to quit, homeschooling, non-circumcising, anti-cry it out, part time working, animal loving, trashy romance novel reading, farm raised hillbilly.  I have had Meningitis and Swine Flu and lived to tell about it.  Any questions?

DragonRiderMD
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:23 PM

You don't have to do anything. Your body will regulate itself to making less at night when it's not needed. In fact, pumping could just make you more miserable by not letting your body regulate itself. But remember that just because you don't get engorged any more doesn't mean you just stopped making milk at that time; if your baby wakes up in the middle of the night wanting to eat three months from now, he'll still be able to get as much as he wants. It has no effect on supply at all. :)

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:28 PM

The answer is always the same...nurse on demand. Supply adjusts to meet demand, forever.

jesmoore27028
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:31 PM

I wish I had that problem...lol. My 9 month old still gets up every 2 to 3 hours at night. I agree with the PP, your body will work itself out to know the baby's schedule.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)