• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Returning to work and needing some encouragment and suggestions

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:23 PM
  • 15 Replies

I'm returning to work next week.

I decided about a month ago that once I returned to work I was going to supplement with formula so that I would not have to deal wtih the hassle of pumping. I was having a really hard time pumping and getting anything at all so just stopped with the pump. Then I decided I was just going to stop BFing alltogether, but once I started the process of actually switching I had all these mixed emotions, felt remorse, guilt, sad...all that. So I decided against stopping all together and am putting some serious thought into just pumping while at work.  But I just feel like it's going to be this big pain to do so. Any suggestions to make it easier. I have read many posts in here on how frustrating and what a pain it is to do so, so someone please tell me the upside to doing it! I want to continue my breasftfeeding journey!

Thanks!!

P.S. As of right now I have nothing as far as a stash goes for when she does start daycare.

~OUR LIFE IS TO BE SPENT NOT TO BE SAVED~
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ILoveMyFam
by Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:31 PM

It's really not that bad.  I work as a nurse on a VERY busy unit.  I'm lucky to get to pump AND pee sometimes LOL but pumping comes first.  Anyway, I get to work a little early and pump right before I go into work.  I pump at least once while I'm there, pref twice.  I put my milk in an indiscreet bag in the freezer.  My baby is 8 and a half months old and I've been back to work since she was 9 weeks old.  No formula needed!

Heather881029
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:31 PM

I would start by pumping one side while your little one is nursing the other.  This will help you establish a small stash for when you return to work. 

I didn't really mind pumping while I was working because it game me 15 minutes of doing nothing but thinking about my baby.  I pumped and read a magazine or looked at pics of my kiddos.  I also would just sit with my eyes closed and enjoy the silence.  It was a moment to step away from work and unwind. 

I did set my pump up each morning when I arrived at work so it was ready for me.  I also had an extra set of horns and tubing so that I could just use fresh ones each pump session (I only pumped twice at work each day because I nursed on my lunch break).  I also had a great pump.  The Medela Pump in Style Advanced.

It is really not that bad.  Some days it is stressful but so is everything else. 

beethann
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I also think my pump might have to do with my frustration. I have a mifirstyears...I think that's it. and it worked well in the beginning, but it seems it's lost its suction, or my nipples are just used to the wear and tear, at any rate I don't seem to get much when pumping but assume I would if I were pumping during work and missing the nursing sessions. I'm going to try to borrow my friends pump and hopefully that will work better.

~OUR LIFE IS TO BE SPENT NOT TO BE SAVED~
Sebastian
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:45 PM

I pumped for about 9 months with my first and almost 18 with my second.

Honestly, the only time it was a "pain" is if i had to travel.  I think it depends on your job.  I have an office, so I just close the door twice a day, and keep on working. My work also provides lactation rooms for those with out offices. I understand that I am blessed, and others would have a much more difficult time.  I have done some crazy things while traveling to be able to pump!

Don't stress too much about a stash... just remember, if you are indeed able to pump at work and you can get your body to produce for a pump, then you only need to stay one day ahead of the baby. I always just fed the baby what I had pumped the day before.  At the end of the week, any extra got frozen for a rainy day! The suggestion to pump one side while nursing the other is great.  It helps with let down, an your body is more relaxed, etc so you produce better.  That will help get a little 'Comfort" stash.

It is worth it... that way, when you are home on the weekends or whatever, and you want to nurse, your body will be used to feeding at that time.  Plus, there's just something rewarding in looking at your little one, adn realizing that every ounce of growth is from YOU!

VBAC group: www.cafemom.com/group/vbac

Sebastian

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:33 PM
Quoting beethann:

ISo I decided against stopping all together and am putting some serious thought into just pumping while at work.  But I just feel like it's going to be this big pain to do so. Any suggestions to make it easier.

Sure! It's actually not that hard, except the sitting at the pump part.

One session for every three hours away. You need one to one and a half ounces per hour of separation.

Double electric pump...it's a must.

As many sets of funnels as you do pump sessions in a day. If you do three sessions., three sets. The dirties go in a plastic bag to be washed at home.

A cooler works fine for storage.

A picture of your baby can help you relax.

No looking at amounts...it'll make you nuts. What you get during your break is what you get. One half to two ounces is normal.

I have read many posts in here on how frustrating and what a pain it is to do so, so someone please tell me the upside to doing it!

No buying formula!

I want to continue my breasftfeeding journey!

Thanks!!

P.S. As of right now I have nothing as far as a stash goes for when she does start daycare.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:36 PM
Quoting beethann:

I also think my pump might have to do with my frustration. I have a mifirstyears..

Oh, dear. First Years pumps generally aren't on our recommended list, but I had hopes this one would break the mold.

.I think that's it. and it worked well in the beginning, but it seems it's lost its suction, or my nipples are just used to the wear and tear, at any rate I don't seem to get much when pumping

How much, though?

but assume I would if I were pumping during work and missing the nursing sessions. I'm going to try to borrow my friends pump and hopefully that will work better.

What kind? It can make a difference.

Simonsmama
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:50 PM

I pump better at work than I do at home.  I think my body knows what to do at work, and at home it would rather let the baby do the work.  I am a teacher and I pump in my classroom for 10 minutes during morning recess, 25 minutes at lunch and 10-15 minutes after school.  Once you get used to it, it isn't that bad, and it just becomes part of the routine, and habit.  It is just second nature form me to get my pump ready the night before.  I am away from the baby for just under 8 hours, and I send 10 oz of milk a day.  My Pediatrician is great, and said that I would never need more than that because the sitter could offer some cereal or other food at 5 to 6 months, if the baby seemed hungry, and that baby would eat the rest of the milk calories when I was home.  I also got told not to force sleeping through the night.  I have come to enjoy our night feeding (he only wakes once).  But pumping helps me feel like I am doing what is right for my baby.   

Jacquelin
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:56 PM

I went back to work and was pumping, I kept getting plugged milk ducts and it did seem like a hassle, but if I had been more aware of things I could have done differently I would not have stopped bfing. I am now trying to relactate and it is VERY hard and my emotions are all out of wack. I would suggest that you keep on bfing but it will ultimately have to be what you want. I would make sure though when you go back to work if you want to continue bfing to make that clear with your boss and make sure you get the breaks you need to pump or your supply could drop dramatically. I hope this helps. :)

Jacquelin Murphybaby girl

pacha111
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Pumping was a real pain for me, too in the beginning with my first son.  Breastfeeding wasa real pain too, as a matter of fact!  He was a 24/7 nurser and I was exhausted. I returned to work when he was 9 weeks old, and it took me about a month after that to say to myself " I think I can do this." Seriously, every day was a struggle but I was determined to breastfeed because I knew that it was best for him.

It might be a pain to pump, but remember- you won't be doing it forever. We all know that the easy road isn't necessarily the best road to take.  The effort, and maybe even agony, that you put into pumping and BF has such a huge pay off for your little one.  It'll get easier soon, and before you know it, you'll be weaning him and then in a blink of an eye you'll be sending him off to Kindergarten!

I BF for a year and don't regret any of it.  Yes, it was a pain, and for the first 10 months, I only had a 3 hour window where I could be away from him or the pump.  Pumping at work wasn't easy either, but people at work were really supportive so I really got lucky there.  I'm on my second child and back to that routine. (As I sit here typing and pumping!)

Get a good pump-My medela works well.  It wasn't cheap.  I pump after I put baby to bed since he does go down and sleeps for 4-6 hours. That never happened with my first!  Then I pump after I nurse him for the last time in the morning.  At work I pump 2x and don't go longer than a 3.5 hour interval between pumping or nursing.  (Pumping while nursing is another good suggestion, but I was never really successful with that!)

You can do it!!! Take one day at a time. You won't ever regret doing this!

Breastfeedermom
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Hi There,   I am a stay at home Mom, who worked in the med profession before having kids. First, forget all the guilt you have over all of this and decide to just do the very best that you can. Know that you probably will supplement and don't beat yourself up if at all possible. Not everyone likes pumping, i for one hated it. Women are pulled in so many different directions these days, just do what you can for your situation!!!! GIRRRRL YOU CAN DO IT!!! sincerely, karen in motown

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)