Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter has a milk intolerance, trying to alter my diet. Help!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:14 PM
  • 10 Replies

Just found out my poor sweet LO's awful sandpaper rash that she has had for 8 WEEKS is not from dreft like we thought, not detergent, not soap, not lotion but an intolerance to the dairy in my diet! so in order to keep BF'ing I have to cut out ALL dairy, I am absolutely willing but I need a mama who has done it or knows all about it to give me good tips or a good website that will help me make sure I am getting all the dairy out of my diet. She is currently being fortified to help her gain weight and she was being fortified with enfamil lipil but now they are going to have us fortify with Nutramigen and I think she will be on that for the next month while I detox my milk. On Saturday I was diagnosed with kidney stones and the meds they have me on the doctor said were unsafe for BF so I have been pumping and dumping and will continue until I am off the meds. Until then she will just get Nutramigen b/c I don't want to give her my frozen milk if it's just going to keep hurting her. O ya and I guess I can kiss that month's worth of milk I have in the deep freezer goodbye! Please ladies, help me!

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommawhite08
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:23 PM

first of all, you can donate the milk in the freezer so it doesn't have to go to waste!  And I went dairy free for dd when she was younger!  It was hard at first but once I got into the swing of things it was fine!  If you focus on whole fresh foods it's easier to avoid "hidden dairy"  I drank almond milk on my cereal and ate goat chease.  Be careful not to add to much soy as a lot of babies with a milk protein allergy are also allergic to soy.  For calcium you should focus on eating green leafy veggies and maybe some calcium fortefied OJ.  On food labels, just go straight to the end of the ingrediants list, it will say contains milk or contains dairy. 

people acted like I was crazy for changing my diet so much, sometimes it was like they were mad at me!  I actually bought a pump NIP from a lady who stopped bf'ing bc her doc said her baby had a dairy allergy, when I said mine to, she looked at me like I had 2 heads, and said "you know you're making her sick from bfing then"  and I was like um no, I just stopped eating dairy, lol, good luck and feel free to pm me!

Kisses4Henry
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:24 PM

My son is allergic to cow milk protein.  It was finally figured out at 2 months when it got to the point where he was passing chunks of blood in his stool.  I had to cut all dairy and trace amounts of dairy out of my diet.  That was 15 months ago and I'm still nursing and still off dairy.  It took a few months to get used to it, but I've managed to.  It should not take a month to detox your milk.  2 weeks should be fine.  That's generally how long it takes to get it out of your system. 

I use rice milk (make sure it's fortified) in place of milk in cereal or recipes.  I use coconut milk beverage in replace of a glass of milk.  It tastes really good.  They also make coconut-milk yogurt and ice cream that are to die for!  My pediatric allergist does not think I should drink soy milk because often times babies with milk intolerance are prone to developing a soy intolerance.. but that varies baby by baby on the specifics of their allergy.  My allergist also suggested I not ingest ANY animal dairy.  There is a Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread that works well in place of butter.  For now you might want to consider not eating out much.  It's harder to avoid it.  It is in many breads, breading, sauces, etc.. and in restaurants there is often contanimation.  I find Asian food is easier cause they don't generally use much dairy.

I hope some of that helps.  I will be requesting your friendship.  I'd love to speak with you more about it!  It's been a big part of my life the past 15 months and I've learned a lot.  Hoping to help!  You will be reading a lot of labels!!!!!  Breads, chips, sauces, baked goods, canned fish.. you'd be surprised what all has dairy!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:39 PM
Quoting SkroveMomma:

Just found out my poor sweet LO's awful sandpaper rash that she has had for 8 WEEKS is not from dreft like we thought, not detergent, not soap, not lotion but an intolerance to the dairy in my diet!

Oh, dear. Well, that's a common problem so you're not alone.

so in order to keep BF'ing I have to cut out ALL dairy, I am absolutely willing but I need a mama who has done it or knows all about it to give me good tips or a good website

Google "living dairy free."  Tons of websites out there.

that will help me make sure I am getting all the dairy out of my diet. She is currently being fortified to help her gain weight and she was being fortified with enfamil lipil but now they are going to have us fortify with Nutramigen and I think she will be on that for the next month while I detox my milk. On Saturday I was diagnosed with kidney stones and the meds they have me on the doctor said were unsafe for BF

Uh...docs are 99 percent of the time WRONG on that...have your meds been loooked up on the Lact-Med database? Let's do that.

so I have been pumping and dumping and will continue until I am off the meds. Until then she will just get Nutramigen b/c I don't want to give her my frozen milk if it's just going to keep hurting her. O ya and I guess I can kiss that month's worth of milk I have in the deep freezer goodbye! Please ladies, help me!

Again...google dairy free. Whey and casein are the hidden ingredients to watch for.

IamLilysMom
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 11:47 PM

I've been dairy-free for about 5mos now. Honestly, it was hard at first, cause i absolutely LOVE all cheeses and a tall glass of cold milk,  but now I rarely crave it!  I cannot eat any dairy or my DD has terrible stomach problems, a body rash, and severe reflux.

When I first started cutting it out, I didn't think to look for "whey" or "casein", as those are sometimes "hidden dairy". Most pre-packaged foods have dairy, many breads have whey, some deli meats & hot dogs have casein, you'll just have to look at the labels on everything until you get an idea of what you can & cannot have.  Your LO might not have as severe of a reaction as mine, so things like french bread, for example, might not be a problem.

these websites have helped me tremendously:

http://www.godairyfree.org/

http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/

Sorry to keep it short, got a fussy baby :)

Good luck!! You're doing great momma!

au natural VBACing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping momma to Lily & Lilah!

CafeMom Tickers

Kisses4Henry
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 12:13 AM

French bread doesn't traditionally have any milk in it actually.  I make my own usually and I've never even seen a recipe for it with dairy.  Not even in the ones purchased in the store.  One of the few breads you don't usually have to worry about! 

(Thought it might be helpful... with all the stuff we can't have it's good to be able to find safe foods!)

Quoting IamLilysMom: 

I've been dairy-free for about 5mos now. Honestly, it was hard at first, cause i absolutely LOVE all cheeses and a tall glass of cold milk,  but now I rarely crave it!  I cannot eat any dairy or my DD has terrible stomach problems, a body rash, and severe reflux.

When I first started cutting it out, I didn't think to look for "whey" or "casein", as those are sometimes "hidden dairy". Most pre-packaged foods have dairy, many breads have whey, some deli meats & hot dogs have casein, you'll just have to look at the labels on everything until you get an idea of what you can & cannot have.  Your LO might not have as severe of a reaction as mine, so things like french bread, for example, might not be a problem.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
IamLilysMom
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 12:17 AM

the french bread at our local store has whey :(

Quoting Kisses4Henry:

French bread doesn't traditionally have any milk in it actually.  I make my own usually and I've never even seen a recipe for it with dairy.  Not even in the ones purchased in the store.  One of the few breads you don't usually have to worry about! 

(Thought it might be helpful... with all the stuff we can't have it's good to be able to find safe foods!)

Quoting IamLilysMom: 

mommawhite08
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 12:20 AM

and coconut oil is great for baking in place of butter!  and it's yummy on toast and pancakes

SkroveMomma
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 2:12 AM

Thanks so much ladies you have all been very helpful, very kind and didn't bash me which was nice! I am meeting with Scarlette's pediatrician today then with the dermatologist and allergist next week (the GI doc is the one who diagnosed this) so we can get a better understanding of how bad it is. I start my dairy free diet today and am nervous to mess up but also excited as it seems more healthy all around! Not even gonna bother trying soy....almost everyone here and elsewhere have said how common that allergy is so why even try when I don't like it anyways! Excited to try coconut milk tho! I really hope this helps her rash is so bad and spread throughout her whole body and maybe this way she will be able to get off the prilosec for her reflux/spitting up. My poor little girl has been through quite an ordeal (my blog: theskrovefamily.blogspot.com) and I just hope I can at least make her more comfortable. BTW, Nutramigen smells DISGUSTING blech!

SkroveMomma
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 2:13 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting SkroveMomma:

Just found out my poor sweet LO's awful sandpaper rash that she has had for 8 WEEKS is not from dreft like we thought, not detergent, not soap, not lotion but an intolerance to the dairy in my diet!

Oh, dear. Well, that's a common problem so you're not alone.

so in order to keep BF'ing I have to cut out ALL dairy, I am absolutely willing but I need a mama who has done it or knows all about it to give me good tips or a good website

Google "living dairy free."  Tons of websites out there.

that will help me make sure I am getting all the dairy out of my diet. She is currently being fortified to help her gain weight and she was being fortified with enfamil lipil but now they are going to have us fortify with Nutramigen and I think she will be on that for the next month while I detox my milk. On Saturday I was diagnosed with kidney stones and the meds they have me on the doctor said were unsafe for BF

Uh...docs are 99 percent of the time WRONG on that...have your meds been loooked up on the Lact-Med database? Let's do that.

so I have been pumping and dumping and will continue until I am off the meds. Until then she will just get Nutramigen b/c I don't want to give her my frozen milk if it's just going to keep hurting her. O ya and I guess I can kiss that month's worth of milk I have in the deep freezer goodbye! Please ladies, help me!

Again...google dairy free. Whey and casein are the hidden ingredients to watch for.

I am taking percocet (know it's fine) zoloft (know it's fine) cipro (think it's not fine) and Uroaxatrol which I couldn't find any info about :-)

sparklemommy128
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:01 AM

You're not alone-- I did it too-- it's totally doable, you just have to train yourself to read labels CAREFULLY.  As other posters said, some "dairy-free" stuff actually has casein and whey in it.

I used Earth Balance for a butter substitute and I STILL use it because I think it tastes really good.

Smart Balance is basically the same thing if you can't find Earth Balance in your local grocery store.

Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are great sources for dairy-free foods.

PM me if you need more advice-- good luck!

Marisa, momma to Zoe, 2/7/07

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)