Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

yellow seedy poop

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2010 at 7:30 PM
  • 12 Replies

So I was reading that when you breastfeed, the baby's poop should be yellow and seedy.

What does it mean when their poop is not that way? I would it assume it has to do with what I've eaten that day/week.  My dd is 1 month old and has had the normal yellow seedy poop until 2 days ago.  Thought ??? hmmm.. what's up?  I haven't really changed my diet.

Any thoughts?

by on Feb. 16, 2010 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Megan521
by on Feb. 16, 2010 at 7:33 PM

what does the poop look like? what color and texture?

Contentment is not the fulfilment of what we want, but the realization of how much we already have. ~ anonymous

Laura913
by on Feb. 16, 2010 at 7:54 PM

It changes. Now my son's isn't seedy anymore. It was for the first month or so. Now his poop is still liquidy and kind of yellowish but not seedy and it also smells!! Kind of orange ish

Mommy2aQT
by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 7:01 AM

Sounds normal to me... mine stopped having seedy after a few weeks.. 

Missbehaves
by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 7:25 AM

My DD's stopped being seedy after a couple of weeks.  Then it was natural peanut butter consistency (not the JIF kind) and my husband started calling her poops 'curry calamity'.  LOL

jeng1980
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2010 at 7:29 AM

It seems like I remember in the early days yellow seedy poop.  Once you get your milk supply established which is around about where you are I think, it starts being green mixed in with yellow which means they are getting a good balance of foremilk and hindmilk.  The hindmilk is the rich, fatty milk and the foremilk is just to fill the hunger quickly.  IMO, it is a good sign that the poop is changing because it sounds to me like your baby is getting a good amount of hindmilk.

Jennifer Gooden-Mom to 3 beautiful children
Breastfeeding Moms Group Moderator
www.cafemom.com/breastfeedingmoms

jus1jess
by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 9:47 AM

BF baby poop changes pretty regularly. If there's no apparent reason for the change and it doesn't seem to be bothering baby, don't worry. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 17, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Dr. Jay Gordon wrote a great article on this called "the color of the day." Search drjaygordon.com for "poop."

ycnim
by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Thanks guys!

I know she's getting good stuff... she's always full and gaining weight. 

hoping4number3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2010 at 1:09 PM

hm...my baby is 3.5 mo and still has seedy yellow poop. i thought it was normal lol

Gruntlings
by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 1:24 PM

It varies. The only things to look out for are hard poop, mucousy poop, frothy poop, and bloody poop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)