Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fasting?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:21 AM
  • 10 Replies

So DH & I are doing this thing with our church where we fast from one thing for 6 days. Well the last thing to fast from is for 3 days and it's food. You're only supposed to drink and I think it's only water (can't remember right now). My initial thought is that I can not do this with him. That I can do everything else but I can not go 3 days with out eating while I'm breast feeding. Am I right in thinking this? Or would it be okay to go those 3 days as long as I was making sure to still take my vitamins (maybe double up on them) and drink a ton of water?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bethbeth
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:23 AM

I would talk to your Dr. Maybe you can at least do it partially.

~Beth

pregnancy
mombloggerJ
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:25 AM

I wouldn't do it.  I totally understand the concept and reasons, but I'm pretty sure it could seriously hurt your supply and wouldn't be good for you physically either.  Sometimes I "fast" something like my favorite TV show instead of food.  It's really more that you sacrifice something than that you don't eat. . .at least in my opinion.

crystalearl
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Quoting Bethbeth:

I would talk to your Dr.

This may sound weird but I don't have a doctor yet. I mean we have a family doctor that was assigned to us when we got stationed here. But after 3 different appointments I still haven't meet him. At the last apt that I went to I saw one of the nurse practitioners and she told me that my apt was pointless and that I shouldn't have come in (sorta long story). So I haven't even bothered to try dealing with them after that.

steph2884
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:29 AM

I wouldn't do it. Not like God would be dissapointed that you didn't fast from food for 3 days because you were nurturing the blessing He gave you. You would be taking away prescious vitamins, minerals, and fats from the milk, not to mention your body will be deprived. Your body will take away everything from you to give to the baby. Prenatal vitamins are for supplementing what you are already eating, and the vitamins and minerals aren't always absorbed by your body in those pills, especially if you take them without food. Most are absorbed with food, thus the reason they say to take the vitamin with food. Keep fasting from something else, but while breastfeeding, it is best not to starve yourself, even if it's only for 3 days.

crystalearl
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Quoting mombloggerJ:

I wouldn't do it.  I totally understand the concept and reasons, but I'm pretty sure it could seriously hurt your supply and wouldn't be good for you physically either.  Sometimes I "fast" something like my favorite TV show instead of food.  It's really more that you sacrifice something than that you don't eat. . .at least in my opinion.

That's what were doing now. This week is no TV/video games, next week is no computer/internet/cell phones (I'm gonna die next week), then we have a week of no fast food, another of no caffeine, and last is 3 days no food.

campomommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:38 AM

well i know for catholics, lent and fasting arent required (or recommended) of pregnant and nursing mothers, children and old people.

I would skip that one, or maybe modify it to your and Your Babies needs, like eat a balanced meal, but maybe make it bland and boring, with no flavor, and no snack type stuff. I think that would be best for this case.. Good luck and remember whats best for your baby! :)

crystalearl
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:42 AM

Quoting campomommy:

well i know for catholics, lent and fasting arent required (or recommended) of pregnant and nursing mothers, children and old people.

I would skip that one, or maybe modify it to your and Your Babies needs, like eat a balanced meal, but maybe make it bland and boring, with no flavor, and no snack type stuff. I think that would be best for this case.. Good luck and remember whats best for your baby! :)

I was thinking of changing it so that I could drink these meal replacement shakes I'm getting. They don't suppress your appatite so when I'm hungry I would still feel it. And they have exrta nutrients & protein. Its like a ballanced meal w/ all the calories I need just in a shake.

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:40 AM

Nursing and pregnant women are exempt from fasting requirements in pretty much every religion.

Elizabeth4980
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:44 AM

Check with your doc but my first reaction is that it wouldn't be a good idea.  That being said though, I do think you should keep up the fasting concept because it is a great thing to do.  Personally I would just do a different kind of fast for those three days - like fast from meat or something like that.

SoniaL
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Yep.

Quoting gdiamante:

Nursing and pregnant women are exempt from fasting requirements in pretty much every religion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)