Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Citris flavered?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:44 AM
  • 8 Replies

So who was the wise guy that flavered ogmeden (not spelling it right I'm sure) like citris?  He hates it, worse then bubble gum.  He turns his head and presses his lips shut.  Once I was able to pinch his nose shut and his mouth popped open but he knows now what I'm doing so it doesn't work anymore.  It is a fight to give it to hm every time.  He is supposed to have 1/2 a tspn and I think he's  lucky to get 1/4 of it in his mouth.    I started putting a little BM in his ears to hopefully get the ear infections gone but I'm not sure the medicine is doing much since he won't let us get it in his mouth.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Pishyah
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Augmenten?  (I'm sure that's not right, too, but I couldn't even get the rest of the post because I sat here trying to figure out what you're talking about!  ROFL!  It was like a puzzle.  Sorry.

mjimaging
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:23 AM

LOL, your funny.

Quoting Pishyah:

Augmenten? (I'm sure that's not right, too, but I couldn't even get the rest of the post because I sat here trying to figure out what you're talking about! ROFL! It was like a puzzle. Sorry.

zoenlandonsmom
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:46 PM

can you take it back to the pharmacy and see if they can flovor it diffrently?(augmentin)

mjimaging
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I asked about flavoring and they told me that it was alread flavored and that we didn't want to mess with it.  What baby is gonna want citris flavored medicine though.  Older kids maybe but not babies.

Quoting zoenlandonsmom:

can you take it back to the pharmacy and see if they can flovor it diffrently?(augmentin)

mombloggerJ
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:41 PM

My LO is the WORST at taking meds.  The only way I've gotten her to swallow is to wait till she's hungry, use a syringe to dispense it VERY slowly back beside her throat (like the farthest reaches of her cheek) then blow in her face so she has to swallow.  Even then, sometimes she outsmarts me and holds it there till the end of my "process", then grins really big and lets it run out the corners of her mouth.  I feel your pain.

abelsmama07
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:49 PM

if i makes you feel any better... my 11week old's zantac is peppermint flavored.  ugh, she hates it.

mjimaging
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:10 PM

I can't even get it into his mouth!  He holds his face away and presses his lips shut and if I get it in his mouth, he pushes the whole thing out with his tongue.  He still has a pretty strong tongue thrust reflex but as fast as I get it in there, it comes right back out.  Pinching the nose thing helped get his mouth opened, the first time.  I'll be glad when the meds are done.  And for the poster with the peppermint flavored meds, that's rediculous too.  Oh well, we can hope our kids don't get sick much but they need to work on these flavorings.

Quoting mombloggerJ:

My LO is the WORST at taking meds. The only way I've gotten her to swallow is to wait till she's hungry, use a syringe to dispense it VERY slowly back beside her throat (like the farthest reaches of her cheek) then blow in her face so she has to swallow. Even then, sometimes she outsmarts me and holds it there till the end of my "process", then grins really big and lets it run out the corners of her mouth. I feel your pain.

jesmoore27028
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Quoting mombloggerJ:

My LO is the WORST at taking meds.  The only way I've gotten her to swallow is to wait till she's hungry, use a syringe to dispense it VERY slowly back beside her throat (like the farthest reaches of her cheek) then blow in her face so she has to swallow.  Even then, sometimes she outsmarts me and holds it there till the end of my "process", then grins really big and lets it run out the corners of her mouth.  I feel your pain.

We've tried that method too and my little guy does the same thing. He has also started to purse his lips together and shake his head from side to side just so I can't keep the syringe in his mouth. I don't think he's gotten a full dose of his antibiotic since the first time I gave it to him this week with the spoon thing they gave me at the pharmacy. He took it well with that the first time and then realized what it was. They're just to smart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)