Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drs office ugh

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:40 PM
  • 5 Replies

i hate that when I take my 5 week old in they always automatically think he is formula fed they always ask what type of formula does he take or they ask how many ounces he takes in a feeding and I always say I dunno he is breastfed they then always say good job sticking with it for so long ?? huh 5 weeks isnt long I wanna breastfeed him until at least a year if not longer. Just bugs me now he has reflux and possibly pyloric stenosis and I am so sick of people telling me I should try formula the dr even said I could continue to breastfeed cause thats not whats causing his problemes

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
WilliamsMama08
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:49 PM

So you are unhappy or happy with your doctors office??  Your doctor agreed with you... right?

zoenlandonsmom
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Not unhappy alil aggravated that they always assume that babies are all formula fed they dont even ask if he is bottle or breast and that they think only 5 weeks is a long time cause to me 5 weeks is only getting started. But I am happy they aggreed that his problemes have nothing to do with being breastfed.

imdbbduck
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Yeah, it's aggravating...I'm just under 3 months ebf and people get all patronizing-congratulatory for sticking it out like it's some horrific sacrifice.

As far as the reflux, have you tried changing your diet?  I'd try to cut out dairy first for at least 3 days (to let it get completely out of your system) and see if he does any better.

Also, there's an adjustment that can be done by a chiropractor (ask before you schedule to be sure they do the maneuver) that basically puts the stomach back in place.  Acid reflux is caused by the stomach moving out of position and getting partially stuck in the bottom of the esophagus (this is a really, really basic explanation) so it can't close off to keep the stomach acid down.  I worked at an office that did it, and it's AMAZING how quickly it makes a difference...the kids would come in shrieking and miserable and would leave either perfectly calm or dead asleep.  Just keep in mind that 99% of the time, it's a mechanical issue that can be fixed WITHOUT switching to formula or having to put the baby on any medication.

ETA:  It's called the hiatal hernia maneuver.

CafeMom Tickers

I'm a natural birthing, exclusively breast feeding, anti-vax, anti-circ,  knitting fanatic yarn-pig, hippie pagan mamanator.

Danniew09
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:45 PM

I can sympathize here--when I was pregnant with my LO, I actually got the response 'oh, ew' when I told someone I was breastfeeding.  I seriously did a double take.

ashleybgarcia
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Hunny, it's because people are ignorant. Even the smart ones. And it's probably the norm for more people to formula feed than breastfeed.I honestly do not have one friend who nursed and stuck with it. I have nursed longer than all five of my friends. One didin't attempt it at all. I have been breastfeeding for 7 months, and I, like you, will continue beyond a year. My mother and stepmother nursed my sister and brother until they were 18 months or so, so not everyone is an idiot!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)