Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

surgery!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:07 PM
  • 6 Replies

i have to have surgery on the 25th for my umbilical hernia that i got while pregnant i am gunna have to pump an ddump for 24 hours :( i am kinda freaking out so scared i am starting to pump now so i can get enough for him my sons only 1 month old i am scared hes not gunna want the breast after having the bottle all day anyone else have this experience this >?

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Not the particular surgery you're having, but surgery? Yes. Tell the anesthesiologist to use exactly what they give to c-section moms. It's out of your system the moment you wake up. And vicodin or percocet are OK as painkillers...no need to pump and dump at all with these things.

Find out what meds they  plan to give you and then look them up on Lact-Med (google it). For most moms, pump and dump isn't needed. Baby needs one ounce per hour of separation. And he can be fed with a syringe or a soft-spout sippy with the spill proof valve removed.

lelandsmommy06
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM

the surgery i have to be put completely under

mombloggerJ
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:20 PM

I think some c-sections are done "completely under" as well and that may be what gdiamante is referring to.  Either way, you can set up a meeting with the anesthesiologist on a day prior to surgery to discuss the options.  Also, if there is an LC at the hospital where you delivered, they might have info on anesthesia for nursing moms.

I had surgery when my DD was 6 mos old and I did the pump and dump thing for 24 hours b/c I didn't know any better.  Since your baby is only a month old, I would see what other info you can gather before just doing it.

That said, the sippy/syringe method mentioned above will prevent nipple preference, the painkillers she mentioned are totally fine, and your plan to start pumping now is a good one.  Good luck!

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Quoting lelandsmommy06:

the surgery i have to be put completely under

That's fine. That anesthesia passes as soon as you're awake. I was completely under for my surgery too. Nothing here to worry about.

vances_mom
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:01 PM
I had surgery for my gall bladder last Thursday and I was "all the way under" for almost 2 hours. They told me that I'd have to pump and dump for 24hrs because they'd be giving me Versed. According to Lact-Med, that's just not true. I BFed DD within a couple hours of coming out of recovery. Don't go by what the doctor says because a surgeon or anesthesiologist just isn't that informed about breastfeeding. It's sad, but true. It's up to us to double check what they tell us.
mombloggerJ
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Sadly, too, the docs tend to subscribe to the CYA theory when it comes to BFing (cover your a**).  They're not going to research it and they're not going to risk your baby getting sick and you blaming them for it (even if the sickness is in no way related to the anesthesia).

Quoting vances_mom:

I had surgery for my gall bladder last Thursday and I was "all the way under" for almost 2 hours. They told me that I'd have to pump and dump for 24hrs because they'd be giving me Versed. According to Lact-Med, that's just not true. I BFed DD within a couple hours of coming out of recovery. Don't go by what the doctor says because a surgeon or anesthesiologist just isn't that informed about breastfeeding. It's sad, but true. It's up to us to double check what they tell us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)