Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PLEASE HELP!!!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:20 PM
  • 1 Replies

MY BABY IS 6 WEEKS OLD AND I WAS BF HER WHEN SHE WAS BORN BUT SHE LOST 10% OF HER WEIGHT AND I HAD TO GIVE HER FORMULA. WELL NOW SHE IS NOT TAKING TO THE BREAST EVERYTIME I PUT HER ON IT SHE SCREAMS AND CRYS AND I CALM HER DOWN AND TRY AGAIN BUT SHE STILL DOES THE SAME THING. WE DO THIS FOR ABOUT 15MINS THEN I HAVE TO MAKE HER A BOTTLE AND GIVE IT TO HER.. ALSO I TRY TO PUMP BUT I DONT GET MUCH OUT AT ALL .. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYONE HELP? I REALLY WANT TO BF MY BABY THANKS SO MUCH

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Quoting hinson7169:

MY BABY IS 6 WEEKS OLD AND I WAS BF HER WHEN SHE WAS BORN BUT SHE LOST 10% OF HER WEIGHT

She's *supposed* to lose that much...someone misled you. I mention it for the sake of other moms who read this. Ten percent loss from birthweight is the expected amount and you should not have been told to supplement. But we can fix it.

AND I HAD TO GIVE HER FORMULA. WELL NOW SHE IS NOT TAKING TO THE BREAST EVERYTIME I PUT HER ON IT SHE SCREAMS AND CRYS AND I CALM HER DOWN AND TRY AGAIN BUT SHE STILL DOES THE SAME THING. WE DO THIS FOR ABOUT 15MINS THEN I HAVE TO MAKE HER A BOTTLE AND GIVE IT TO HER.. ALSO I TRY TO PUMP BUT I DONT GET MUCH OUT AT ALL .. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYONE HELP? I REALLY WANT TO BF MY BABY THANKS SO MUCH

No more bottles. Get a supplemental nursing system instead...it gives her the instant gratification of the bottle but puts her at the breast. (google supplemental nursing system)

ALSO...make sure you're trying to latch at the first sign of hunger. If she's starting to root, latch. Express a little milk onto the nipple before latching.

Know that normal pump output is one half ounce to two ounces total.

There's a great article on kellymom.com on getting baby back to the breast...check it out.

This IS fixable. But you're going to need to be stubborn.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)