Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Formula/bottles are MORE convenient then BFing???

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:21 PM
  • 47 Replies

Ok, I was talking to a friend of mine today and she told me that her sister-in-law (a sahm) breastfed her second child for about 2 weeks. I told her that it was great that she did it for that long and she needed to be "proud" of her too. Then she continues to tell me why this person stopped bfing. It floored me!!! She stopped because formula and bottles are MORE convenient then bfing. WHAT?!?!?  Are you kidding me??

I FF our two older sons (after "drying up" and not being educated about bfing) and I think it was a pain in the a** compared to bfing. I had to make sure I had bottles made at all hours of the day/night and that I put a couple in the diaper bag when we would leave the house. Now that I'm EBF this baby, it's so much easier to decided that were going out.  I change his diaper, nurse him, put him in his carseat and out the door we go.

Am I the only one that thinks bfing is convenient and FF is not?

Please don't take this as I'm bashing or putting anyone down. I'm just trying to understand this womans logic  :)

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mombloggerJ
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:32 PM

My SIL feels the same way about FFing.  The ONLY thing that might make it "easier" is that Mommy isn't the sole source of nutrition and I think some women see that as "pressure."  Bottom line?  She didn't want to BF and that was her choice (only referring to my SIL-I don't know your friend's friend's story).  My only peeve is when it's clear the person didn't want to BF, but they can't admit it to themselves, so they find a zillion reasons why FF is better.

If a mom wants to drop her infant off with another caregiver at a moments notice and be gone for a day or more, maybe FF is easier. . .but only b/c no preparation is required on MOM's part.  The responsibility is still there, but can be passed to someone else. Other than that. . I don't know what she could be talking about. . .After the first few weeks, BFing is a cinch!

terribeari
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:33 PM

I think BF is way more convenient. I had to bottle feed both of mine for the first couple weeks because they were preemies and it was such a hassle. I suppose it's more convenient in that someone else can help with feedings

jus1jess
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:58 PM

I guess you could say bottles are easier cause you can leave them with anyone and you don't get nasty looks for using them in public. Other than that, I think it's way easier to carry my breasts around. I never forget those =b

AddyLeigh
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 3:58 PM

I have always said I am too lazy to bottle feed. That would require actually having to completely wake up multiple times throughout the night/morning to prepare a bottle, opposed to just whipping a boob out and drifting back off, and I can do that half asleep!

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:12 PM

"Convenience" is always in the mind of the doer.

jenntysmom
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:22 PM

for people like me who have to pump and still use some formula to go to work and wash bottles and my baby eats ALL day and takes 40 min per feeding FF would be wayyyyyy easier but i still want to BF in hopes it will get better and I know its good for him :)

mombloggerJ
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Quoting jus1jess:

I guess you could say bottles are easier cause you can leave them with anyone and you don't get nasty looks for using them in public. Other than that, I think it's way easier to carry my breasts around. I never forget those =b

LOL.  I think of that every time I forget to put something in my diaper bag.  Along the lines of "Thank God I don't have to remember to pack the bottles!"

Megan6432
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:29 PM

My SIL just told me the same thing!! She asked me when I was going to "give up" on bfding bc ffing is so much easier... I just kind of laughed and told her when Natalie is ready to stop bfding (my dd that will be 3 mon on the 1st)

kellyv22
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:32 PM

When you have a baby/mom who dont catch on to breast feeding quickly and have a hard time with it, FF can be easier.  

But I understand what you are saying...

ablackdolphin
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:36 PM
Sorry to say but I somewhat agree with FF being easier...not that I've ever given an formula. But, given my current situation....it'd be easier because right now, she's on yet another strike and I now have to do the bottle thing, pump and feed her. It feels like twice the amount of work. However...the one thing she's missing is that the diapers are NOT as easy with FF. I love that BF diapers hardly smell...especially since I use cloth :-P I so wish that I had a better / easier BFing experience with this baby. It's been more than a challenge (low supply, oversupply, nipple shields, only nursing lying down, nursing strikes etc). BUT, I refuse to give up and I'm already on 5 months and figure that soon I'll be giving her some additional food and that it'll cut down a little on pumping. Besides...I'm on weight watchers and I REFUSE to give up those extra 10 pts LOL. I think it's WONDERFUL that you have a great BFing experience and relationship...one to envy!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)