Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not responding as well to pumping?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:27 PM
  • 5 Replies

Is it normal to kind of "hit a wall" at some point with pumping?  I'm nearing the nine month mark now, breastfeeding on demand while home and pumping at work.  Until recently, I was able to pump approximately 3 ounces at a session, which I realize is quite good.  However, over the past week or so, I'm lucky to get 1 or 2 oz.  

I work three 14 hour days a week, and pump four times during my shift.  At this rate, I'm not even pumping half of what I need to leave for my husband to give her while I'm gone.  

There is nothing to indicate a supply issue, it just seems that I'm not responding the the pump as well.  Does this happen?  

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mombloggerJ
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I'm not sure, but for me, increasing my overall supply did increase my pump supply.  I wasn't having supply "issues" (dipes were good), just wanted to get more while pumping. . .and all this was experience with DD#1. . .I SAH now so just pump when I feel like it to get a freezer supply.

For me, massaging my breasts while pumping enables me to get more out. . .and I have noticed that I have to put my pump on a higher suction setting now than I did in the beginning.  Not sure if that helps you but since no one else had replied, thought I would. . .

krstndnst
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:16 PM
I am going through the same thing..my son is 7 months and I usually get 3 oz a sitting twice while I'm at work 5 days a week, and as of last week I'm only getting 1-2 oz?? But he is starting a couple oz of solids now so maybe that's why? But its annoying to have to mix formula in his morning bottle now..
happymum2010
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 12:40 AM

i used to hand express my milk to mix in some of the solids i gave my son and as he grew older i was able to express lesser and lesser. i think it cause they are eating solids and 'need' lesser milk and so are not suckling enough. try pumping more frequently. also pump inbetween feeds on days ur with her and see if your supply gets back up.

btw are you feeding him solids before you nurse or after (i did before so i guess they are already quite full when they latch on so if ur doing the same maybe you want to make the switch to nursing before the solids)

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 21, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Yes, this does happen and is normal. Increasing water or pumping more often can make up for it.

AlohaKim01
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 7:48 AM

I give you lots of credit for pumping this long.  I dislike the breast pump.  I pumped for 8 moths exclusively with my first born.  Not fun, I had over supply issues, suffered through engorgement.  I would say you might try to pump throughout the day while your home, just build a supply so your a whole day ahead.  Maybe that will help.  I got really sick and my supple dwindled and dwindled afterwards so maybe your stress is making it worse.  But i definitely hit a walls during my stint.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)