Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Green Poop....help!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:29 PM
  • 12 Replies

Okay so my daughter is 5 weeks, she has been EBF and she has been having green poop. Although at some points she has just the regular yellow seedy poops. So I am so confused..... Now she has started spitting up. I also am chocking her. So I tried doing some research and I think I might have an overactive letdown. So I guess the treatment is block feeding. The only problem is I don't know how to do this seeing she only eats every 3-4 hrs. So how long do I block feed and is this what I should do?? I am waiting for the lactation consultant to call me back. I feel so bad when she's eating and chocking..

Thanks!

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifetimelove
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:34 PM

It's not just block feeding.  This is from www.kellymom.com:

• Position baby so that she is nursing "uphill" in relation to mom's breast, where gravity is working against the flow of milk. The most effective positions are those where baby's head and throat are above the level of your nipple. Some nursing positions to try:
    • Cradle hold, but with mom leaning back (a recliner or lots of pillows helps)
    • Football hold, but with mom leaning back
    • Elevated football hold - like the football hold, but baby is sitting up and facing mom to nurse instead of lying down (good for nursing in public).
    • Side lying position - this allows baby to dribble the extra milk out of her mouth when it's coming too fast
    • Australian position (mom is "down under", aka posture feeding) - in this position, mom is lying on her back and baby is on top (facing down), tummy to tummy with mom. Avoid using this positioning frequently, as it may lead to plugged ducts.
  • Burp baby frequently if she is swallowing a lot of air.
  • Nurse more frequently. This will reduce the amount of milk that accumulates between feedings, so feedings are more manageable for baby.
  • Nurse when baby is sleepy and relaxed. Baby will suck more gently at this time, and the milk flow will be slower.
  • Wait until let-down occurs, then take baby off the breast while at the same time catching the milk in a towel or cloth diaper. Once the flow slows, you can put your baby back to the breast.
  • Pump or hand express until the flow of milk slows down, and then put baby to the breast. Use this only if nothing else is working, as it stimulates additional milk production. If you do this, try to express a little less milk each time until you are no longer expressing before nursing.

Adjust your supply to better match baby's needs

• If baby is gaining weight well, then having baby nurse from only one breast per feeding can be helpful.
    • If baby finishes nursing on the first side and wants to continue nursing, just put baby back onto the first side.
    • If the second side becomes uncomfortable, express a little milk until you're more comfortable and then use cool compresses - aim for expressing less milk each time until you are comfortable without expressing milk.
  • Avoid extra breast stimulation, for example, unnecessary pumping, running the shower on your breasts for a long time or wearing breast shells.
  • Between feedings, try applying cool compresses to the breast (on for 30 minutes, off for at least an hour). This can discourage blood flow and milk production.
  • If nursing one side per feeding is not working after a week or so, try keeping baby to one side for a certain period of time before switching sides. This is called block nursing.
    • Start with 2-3 hours and increase in half-hour increments if needed.
    • Do not restrict nursing at all, but any time that baby needs to nurse simply keep putting baby back to the same side during that time period.
    • If the second side becomes uncomfortable, express a little milk until you're more comfortable and then use cool compresses - aim for expressing less milk each time until you are comfortable without expressing milk.
    • In more extreme cases, mom may need to experiment a bit with time periods over 4 hours to find the amount of time per breast that works best.
  • Additional measures that should only be used for extreme cases of oversupply include cabbage leaf compresses and herbs.

Even if these measures do not completely solve the problem, many moms find that their abundant supply and fast let-down will subside, at least to some extent, by about 12 weeks (give or take a bit). At this point, hormonal changes occur that make milk supply more stable and more in line with the amount of milk that baby needs.

Sometimes babies of moms with oversupply or fast let-down get very used to the fast flow and object when it normally slows somewhere between 3 weeks to 3 months. Even though your let-down may not be truly slow, it can still seem that way to baby. See Let-down Reflex: Too Slow? for tips.

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

KalsMommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Thank you!!! That's great info...

karmagl
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:08 PM

My lactation lady said if their poop is green there are not enough calories in your milk and to start calorie hogging lol

KalsMommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Ohhh really??? Just eat a TON of calories? Is there anything that's good but high in calories??

ashleybgarcia
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Hey. Ok. Sounds like overactive let to me! I had the same problem with my baby. The way I did it, was feed on one side, then feed on the other side every 3-4 hours. Your milk will even out, and you will be just fine. I have always fed on only one side. It could also be a dairy protein allergy. Have you tried cutting out your dairy? I did that, and then phased it back in, and he went back to normal!

ashleybgarcia
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:38 PM

never heard of that..hmm..I get plenty of calories!! ha

Quoting karmagl:

My lactation lady said if their poop is green there are not enough calories in your milk and to start calorie hogging lol

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Ashley, 24, wife to Tony, mother to 4 furbabies,Jesus follower, mother to my first baby boy, Alexander, BFing momma, cloth diapering, circumcising,pro- life ,vaccinating, and learning as I go.
KalsMommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:41 PM

I think my problem is we feed on both sides...for like 15 mins each and she isn't getting the hindmilk.. Plus the overactive letdown. Ohhh geez. I am only going to feed her on one side. I hope my milk evens out quickly!

lifetimelove
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Oh wow, that is SOO not true.

It can be from foremilk-hindmilk imbalance, meaning they're getting too much foremilk.  And I believe there are less calories in foremilk, so THAT much is true.  But eating more calories won't help that.  lol

Quoting karmagl:

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

Tabzthemommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:48 PM

I had the same problem. Pumping helped me and it evened out quicker. I had so much formilk Ayden would spit and and get REALLY sick from it and have BAD BAD gas.. It was like torture. So I pumped it out and made sure that there was a even amount of milk in the bottles. He went back to yellow poop and my milk evened out and I went back to nursing with no issue.

Photobucket

ashleybgarcia
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:48 PM

It will :) The foremilk/hindmilk imbalance can def. cause the green milk. There is no reason to switch breast unless your baby finishes one side, and is still hungry. Honestly, if you have overactive let down, I wouldn't really worry about it. You probably have a good supply! I am sure you will be fine. You know the usual basic stuff I am sure. If you get too uncomfy get a little out until you feel a little better. the positions the first mom posted too work really well for that OAL. I fed side laying a lot or the australian. Really, in a few months, it will even out where your baby is sputtering.

Quoting KalsMommy:

I think my problem is we feed on both sides...for like 15 mins each and she isn't getting the hindmilk.. Plus the overactive letdown. Ohhh geez. I am only going to feed her on one side. I hope my milk evens out quickly!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Ashley, 24, wife to Tony, mother to 4 furbabies,Jesus follower, mother to my first baby boy, Alexander, BFing momma, cloth diapering, circumcising,pro- life ,vaccinating, and learning as I go.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)