Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! 2 week old not sleeping at all at night & wanting to nurse all night...

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:56 PM
  • 15 Replies

This is my first time breastfeeding. My 2 week old DS is not sleeping at all at night. I feed him and he acts like he wants to nurse all night long. He will fall asleep nursing but as soon as I put him in his bed he wakes up and acts like he's still hungry. I pretty much figured out that he's using me as a pacifier and is not actually hungry but I don't know what to do about it! I was expecting him to wake up every 2-3 hours at night which at this point I would LOVE because that would give me some actual time to sleep some. I didn't really want to give him a pacifier yet because I was afraid he would having latching problems but I've tried to give him one to satisfy this constant sucking he wants to do & he hates the pacifier. He just spits it out. I have rarely gotten him to suck on it. He sleeps great all day & wakes up every 2-3 hours no problem. He is so exhausted at night ( you can see it in his eyes) but he just won't sleep. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't know what to do but me sleeping all day to stay up all night is not an option with a 6 yr old in the house. I've tried putting him in his car seat to sleep instead of his co-sleeper but other than that I have no more ideas!

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Totally normal. To help you get sleep I would really reccomend co sleeping. I would have never gotten sleep if we didn't.

ashleybgarcia
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Sounds like maybe you should not let him sleep so much during the day. Not saying keep him up all day or anything like that. But your baby has his days and nights mixed up. You are going to have to try to reverse it. Your baby wanting to nurse a lot is pretty common. Honey, right night, you just need to work on surviving. If moving your baby makes him wake. DON'T!! lol. let him fall asleep next to if that's what it takes to get some shut eye. You can always move him to his own bed when he gets the day/night thing straight. There is no one way to do things :)

Tabzthemommy
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:37 PM

He's got his days and night mixed up. My son did this A LOT. It's going to be hell but wake up him around 7-8 and keep him awake until about 10. (We go to bed at 10 adjust to your time) Maybe that can be bath time? Maybe you play.. just keep him awake. Bath time works best for us. If you're EBF then you'll have to make sure at 10 he fills up. Then put him into bed once you get him to sleep.

He might cry A LOT when you're trying to wake him up. He might also fight you REALLY HARD to keep him awake. You might have to strip him down ect..  Babies have to have a certain amount of food a day and if they sleep all day they're going to nurse all night to catch back up. This worked for me. In about 2 days he was on a better schedule but he does mess it up sometimes.. and we have to start all over. :)

Photobucket

lifetimelove
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:49 PM

This is absolutely normal in the first couple weeks.  I remember the same thing with BOTH my children.  It gets much better in the next couple weeks, you just have to go with it.  That's why I keep baby IN the bed, at least until they're sleeping longer stretches.

Your baby is not using you as a pacifier.  This is normal and NECESSARY for babies to do in the first couple weeks - this is how supply is established. 

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

Nightshadeisis
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:51 PM

My four month old goes through marathon feedings, in which she is wanting to feed every 30 minutes to an hour and sleeping for maybe 30 minutes to an hour at a time and that's it.  For what you're describing it's perfectly normal for newborns, plus it's to be expected during those periods of marathon feedings when they are basically going through growth spurts.

jeng1980
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:06 PM

It sounds like he has his days and nights mixed up.  If you have to, start waking him during the day and nurse him more often than you are.  Some would object to that but it worked for me perfectly.  I'd say nurse him every 1-2 hours instead of 2-3 during the day.  Maybe he will space out his feedings at night then.  If you have to undress him and nurse him.  It's normal for them to want to nurse all the time.  ((HUGS))  I know it can be very frustrating.  I hope that you can find a solution.  All babies are so different.  Just keep trying things.  The ladies on this board are wonderful at giving advice.

Please check out My Blog

Amnestie3
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Perfectly normal. I second (or is it third) the co-sleeping. DS slept a lot better if I didn't try to get him in his bassinet or crib. At three months, he suddenly fell asleep in the crib while I was fixing up the room and I left him there. He's been sleeping on his own since. But lord help us if we had tried before that! Ah... the screaming... I feel ya!

Mama2Claire09
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:10 PM

ditto to above comments- switching days/nights, co sleeping etc.....good luck!!!

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Thank you! I wish I wasn't terrified to let him sleep in the bed with me but I am. I'm so scared I will suffocate him.

piwife
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:18 PM

all normal. dont worry

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)