Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 1/2 week old with persistent rash. Allergy?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:01 PM
  • 9 Replies

My 2 1/2 week old baby has had a pretty bad rash for several days now. He has been having some signs of reflux and my older son had textbook reflux. I don't think my older son had a rash like this though. He did have a rash, but it was from a viral infection that caused diarrhea when he was 8 days old. Looking back though, it MAY have been something other than that.

Anyway, I've been letting my baby air out several times a day and I never put a diaper on until he is pretty dry. I was using a commercial unscented diaper wipe and started using just water or homemade wipes(extra virgin olive oil, baby shampoo and vinegar). I was using Boudreux's butt paste until yesterday when I started using plain white petroleum jelly. None of it seems to be making a difference.

Could this be an allergy? The rash is just in the folds between his bum cheeks and a little out from there. It's very irritated. To the point that as soon as I start taking his diaper off, he starts screaming. I did a milk elimination diet with my older son to see if that was the culprit of his reflux. It didn't make a difference. It was just absolutely miserable for me. (And it was right over Christmas! Ugh!) Unless there's a really high probability of this being a milk allergy, I REALLY don't want to go through a month of that again. I'd do anything for my baby, so if it is very likely, I'll make it work.

My son's two week ped appointmet is Monday, but I'd like to have a better idea of what's going on before then. Plus, as much as I love our ped, I think some of you ladies have a bit more experience specifically with breastfeeding!

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Pishyah
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:04 PM

It sounds like how my daughter's yeast rashes have behaved.  : (  If it has been a week and nothing is helping it is time to call the doc.  Poor baby's bum! 

WilliamsMama08
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Not sure, but the only thing that makes DS rashs go away is A&D ointment, diaper rash creams just make it worse.  I would not use the baby soap either... alot of chemicals in them.... Sorry I don't really have an answer for you.

karmagl
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:07 PM

My Lena was allergic to everything. Have you tried cloth diapers, thats the only thing Lena can wear because even the 7th generation gave her rashes

Tanya12
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:17 PM

If its a yeast infection(also helps for regular rash)..do lukewarm baking soda baths once a day. This will dry it out..then you apply lotramin cream at every diaper change(generic is ok).And wipe with only a plain water wet/warm washcloth. My son was allergic to the Zinc in diaper creams...there are also some variations of that in diaper wipes(we switched so many times till we found he was ok with the Costo ones) The only thing that works on his bum in terms of cream is the orange A+D ointment. Its just plain jelly. If you just stopped using the Boudreaux Butt Paste(which has the highest concentration of Zinc of all diaper creams!!!) then its going to take more than a day for his bum to recover.
      If I were you.. I would start the baking soda baths..And find a large bowel to use at diaper changes..put only plain warm water in it and a clean wash cloth at every diaper change. When my husband was home he would bring me the bowel with warm water and washcloth in it..if I was home alone I would make the warm water myself real quick before the diaper change.  When his bum is air dryed, put the lotramin and plain orange A+D ointment on. It should start to clear in a day or 2 and be completely gone in just a few. We have done this every time hes had a red spot on his bum(just incase) and he hasnt had a diaper rash since he was 1month(hes almost 3) :)

ashleybgarcia
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Did he have an antibiotic? My baby had a rash. The pharmacist recommended this mixture..you should try it. lotrimin(generic version)&(anti-itch cream). mix the two, then put on desetin (sp)and put baby powder over it. Try it it really helped my son. It was because of yeast. If it's still there, ask for a rx.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Ashley, 24, wife to Tony, mother to 4 furbabies,Jesus follower, mother to my first baby boy, Alexander, BFing momma, cloth diapering, circumcising,pro- life ,vaccinating, and learning as I go.
mortylady
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I actually have some lotrimin from a bout of ringworm after visiting my parents on their farm last summer. Thank you all for the advice! I wondered if it might not be enough time yet to know if it was the butt paste... I've been washing his bum in the sink with warm water for every change but I didn't think/know of the baking soda bath. Going to start that now. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to a store until Monday to get the A&D ointment so I'm going to keep using the plain white petroleum jelly until then because I'm pretty sure that's one of the main ingredients in it.

I don't have any soft washcloths. I've been trying to think of anything I have that would be nice and soft in place of it, but the only baby blanket that is soft enough and could be reasonably cut up was a gift from my grandma. So, not going to be able to use that. It just isn't doable for us to use cloth diapers right now. Multiple reasons, but it just won't happy. :( As much as I would love to! I was using cut up paper towells for the mix I was doing since the olive oil softened them up pretty well.

Could I do just water and olive oil for the wipes? The reason is because at night, I have a really hard time getting to sleep(like 1-2 hours after laying down. I normally take sleeping medicine but obviously not while I'm nursing and co-sleeping!) and if I get up and wash him off in the sink, there's no way I'll get any sleep at all! I would just do those wipes at night though. During the day I will still wash him well and do the baking soda baths.

Ok, I'm feeling better about it than I was, but I wish he wasn't hurting so badly! I kind of want to give him some tylenol, but he's so little. He really does scream the whole time I'm changing him until he is done and back in my arms!

WilliamsMama08
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:43 PM

What about a car shammy (sp)?  Those are usually pretty soft.

Quoting mortylady:

I actually have some lotrimin from a bout of ringworm after visiting my parents on their farm last summer. Thank you all for the advice! I wondered if it might not be enough time yet to know if it was the butt paste... I've been washing his bum in the sink with warm water for every change but I didn't think/know of the baking soda bath. Going to start that now. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to a store until Monday to get the A&D ointment so I'm going to keep using the plain white petroleum jelly until then because I'm pretty sure that's one of the main ingredients in it.

I don't have any soft washcloths. I've been trying to think of anything I have that would be nice and soft in place of it, but the only baby blanket that is soft enough and could be reasonably cut up was a gift from my grandma. So, not going to be able to use that. It just isn't doable for us to use cloth diapers right now. Multiple reasons, but it just won't happy. :( As much as I would love to! I was using cut up paper towells for the mix I was doing since the olive oil softened them up pretty well.

Could I do just water and olive oil for the wipes? The reason is because at night, I have a really hard time getting to sleep(like 1-2 hours after laying down. I normally take sleeping medicine but obviously not while I'm nursing and co-sleeping!) and if I get up and wash him off in the sink, there's no way I'll get any sleep at all! I would just do those wipes at night though. During the day I will still wash him well and do the baking soda baths.

Ok, I'm feeling better about it than I was, but I wish he wasn't hurting so badly! I kind of want to give him some tylenol, but he's so little. He really does scream the whole time I'm changing him until he is done and back in my arms!

Tanya12
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Quoting mortylady:

I actually have some lotrimin from a bout of ringworm after visiting my parents on their farm last summer. Thank you all for the advice! I wondered if it might not be enough time yet to know if it was the butt paste... I've been washing his bum in the sink with warm water for every change but I didn't think/know of the baking soda bath. Going to start that now. You know sometimes we added a little bit of the soda to the bowl we dipped the wash cloth in at diaper changes too. Definitely a bath once a day where he can soak in it for a little bit but you can put it in the water at diaper changes too.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to a store until Monday to get the A&D ointment so I'm going to keep using the plain white petroleum jelly until then because I'm pretty sure that's one of the main ingredients in it.

I don't have any soft washcloths. I've been trying to think of anything I have that would be nice and soft in place of it, but the only baby blanket that is soft enough and could be reasonably cut up was a gift from my grandma. So, not going to be able to use that. How about just a big soft, clean bath towel that you guys use. Get the bowel of warm water and dip a part of it in the water and pat his bottom..then you coud even use a part of the towel to pat it dry a tiny bit  It just isn't doable for us to use cloth diapers right now. Multiple reasons, but it just won't happy. :( As much as I would love to! I was using cut up paper towells for the mix I was doing since the olive oil softened them up pretty well. I dont know about olive oil..that might hydrate the rash..kinda the opposite of what you want..or leave residue?

Could I do just water and olive oil for the wipes? The reason is because at night, I have a really hard time getting to sleep(like 1-2 hours after laying down. I normally take sleeping medicine but obviously not while I'm nursing and co-sleeping!) and if I get up and wash him off in the sink, there's no way I'll get any sleep at all! I would just do those wipes at night though. During the day I will still wash him well and do the baking soda baths. Does he have a changing table where you normally change him? I would just do the bowel of water..you dont have to hold him in the sink every time. Get a large bowel..go to the sink and make the warm water real quick. Then put it in reach of the changing table..put him on the changing table, and change him. Just one extra step :)

Maggie139
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 11:58 PM

My daughter had milk allergy & reflux. I eliminated dairy and soy but she didn't improve after a couple of weeks. I then went on the elimination diet on Dr. Sears website. She did improve but I was eating about 7 things for a couple of weeks and added foods slowly but none of those high allergy foods, only the things listed as low allergy on the website. It was a sacrifice but she was worth it. Take a dirty diaper to pedi & have them test for blood.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)