Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:15 PM
  • 6 Replies

Whn my 19 month old was born we were in the NICU for  3 weeks. She ate very little and they had me pumping every hour at least. I came home with a giant cooler full of BM that all went to waste because she would never take a bottle or the supplemental feeding syste. My Quinn is now 3 months old and is a nursing hog. She eats all the time. I am sure my supply is enough for her but we have been hospitalized 2 times with my older daughter since she has been born leaving me no time to pump . Normally I can only get milk pumping for the first few weeks. Now if I try to pump I get maybe a half an oz in 20 min. I have nothing stored up for emergencies and Quinn is to the age now if we get hospitalized they will not allow her to come with us so I need the milk saved up. I started fenugreek am drinking a crap load of water and taking fennel. I am only pumping 2x a day right now. I can do it more but I am afraid to mess things up where her nursing is concerned. Will I mess up my supply if I start pumping a lot. Will she have enough to eat? Thanks mamas any advice is helpful.

The joy of home birth

Mother to a FTT sweetheart

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:20 PM

She will still have plenty to eat. What I woudl do is pump while nursing her. Especially first thing in the morning.  Pumping more won't mess anything up with her nursing as long as you are still bringing her to the breast in addition to pumping. Good luck!

teachermama81
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Hdave you tried pumping on one side while she eats on the other?  You benefit from the letdown that she gives you, I've found taht works really well.  I totally get the not wanting to mess with your supply, so I pump during her first am feeding on the other side.  I get 3-4 ounces.  Hope this helps a little!

jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Someone told me to nurse first, then pump what is left when baby is done.  It didn't work for me though, because DS is a milk-hog!  You could try it though.

karmagl
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Ok thanks I was afraid to pump while she was eating because I was afraid there wouldn't be enough milk for when I switched sides. I will try it

lifetimelove
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:45 PM

It's totally supply-demand.  You will NOT be taking milk from her by pumping more.  The milk is produced AS you are pumping or nursing, so it doesn't matter how often you pump.  That's why people can nurse twins, or tandem nurse. 

However, you'll get the most if you pump first thing in the morning, or even better, pump while she is nursing.

And eat lots of oatmeal.

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

ashleybgarcia
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 7:52 PM

There's no need to switch sides really unless your baby has just completely drained one, and wants the other.(pump the other side while nursing) I am sure there will be enough for your baby. The more you demand/the more you will supply.

Quoting karmagl:

Ok thanks I was afraid to pump while she was eating because I was afraid there wouldn't be enough milk for when I switched sides. I will try it

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie
Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Ashley, 24, wife to Tony, mother to 4 furbabies,Jesus follower, mother to my first baby boy, Alexander, BFing momma, cloth diapering, circumcising,pro- life ,vaccinating, and learning as I go.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)