Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am i sick? What's wrong with me???

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:00 PM
  • 12 Replies

This is my 1st child, and he is strictly BF, some solids, but no formula.. My son is 7 months old. I've been feeling fine until about 2 months ago... I've always been eating pretty healthy, my diet really hasn't changed. Green salad almost everyday, lots of fruits and vegetables, salmon/chicken...i only eat fried or junk food one or two days on the weekend.

I'm dizzy all the time, and hungry and the time. I have to eat almost every 2 hrs, then i start to get shaky. Also, have constant headaches & pain in my legs. I just got blood work done today, but won't know the results until tuesday.

ANYWAY, my point is... 

IS it possible to become hypoglycemic FROM breast feeding??

NuMa193

“A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.”    -Forest E. Witcraft

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Monpetitechoux
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:07 PM

It's weird you mention this, I have been breast feeding for seven months as well and have been having trouble with constant hunger, shaking, headaches, and dizziness. I kinda racked it up to hormones evening out. Let me know what the doctors say!!!

NuMa193
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Yeah, it's the weirdest thing!

I work full time, and i know being a new mom i'm not going to get the sleep i used to...but i do get about 6 hrs every of sleep every night. i ALWAYS eat breakfast (banana & yogurt &/or wheat toast with peanut butter) as soon as i get into work about 9am....and by 11am i start shaking. BUT THIS shaky, headaches, dizzy just started about 2 months ago and now is just getting progressively worse & annoying. 

I'm still on my prenatal vitamins because of nursing...

I will definitely follow up and let you know what the doctor says. 

BabyBumbleBee
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I have been EBFing my son too, with some solids on occasion (he's 7 months old).  I also started Weight Watchers a few months ago.  I go through time periods in which I get super hungry and a little shakey, even a little dizzy sometimes.  So I stopped doing weight watchers for a little bit, started eating a bit more and eating what I was craving (mostly carbs) and I started feeling better.  I also didn't gain any weight.  I just figured that all my symptoms were due to my son eating more and my body just needing more energy.

I've had some bfing friends tell me that they go through periods in which they get super hungry.  Have you tried eating snacks all through out the day?  I'm thinking it's probably related to breastfeeding, although the headaches and leg pains are a bit concerning.  Let us know what the doctor says!  Hope you feel better!

Sarah, Justin & Jacob  

katbeeny
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Yes it's possible to just have low blood sugar while breastfeeding.

I thought that was the case with me, because I had just about all the symptoms. But after months of doing my own tests with checkin sugar and special diets nothing helped. Then I read somewhere that a nursing woman needs 80grams a day of protein. And I was not eating that much I know so I started keeping a log and making sure I got at least that much. That was about a week ago and I am feeling much better. The key for me is to eat 40grams within 3-4hrs upon waking, and then I don't get dizzy. I was so bad that I couldn't go places.  Hopefully the doc can tell you whats wrong.

Lsmom
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:41 PM
When I am breastfeeding, I eat constantly. I eat much more when nursing than when pregnant. It is said you need an extra 800 to 1100 calories when nursing. Maybe you are not eating enough calories. I nursed my first for 20 months, and my second is 20 months bow and still nursing. I would get checked out by a dr, but you said you have. Try boosting your calories and eating healthy fats as well. You need fats...just healthy ones. Now is not the tome for a "diet"...make sure you are eating a lot of healthy foods, and often.
lovelylife26
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 9:50 PM

OMG the SAME thing is happening to me, and my LO is 8 months! I eat very healthy as well. I thought that I was pregnant, which I'm not, then I thought that I was getting sick, nope, and now I just don't know what to think. I started taking a B Supplement, as well as Iron... I was slightly anemic when I was pregnant so I figured it was just that creeping back, you know? Now I think I may call my OB and see what she has to say.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
jeng1980
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:23 PM

If any of you are using Mirena for birth control, you may want to check out this website.  Low blood sugar could be a side effect of having the Mirena IUD.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/mirena-awareness

Please check out My Blog

Mama2Claire09
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:27 PM

It might be a problem with iron deficiency. I have anemia and it is much like you are describing...you might want to try eating more red meat and other foods with tons of iron. Spinach has tons and is awesome in salads!

XallieXkissesX
by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:30 PM

you are hypoglycemic, but its not from breastfeeding. i am also and you justhave to make sure you always have snacks on hand.

katbeeny
by on Mar. 17, 2010 at 2:48 PM

So what did the blood work show? I'm curious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)