Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Struggling with the shield.

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:34 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hi girls,

I have been killing myself to make breastfeeding work the past 3 weeks but it seems to be one hang up after another.

I am currently using a contact nipple shield ( I have very flat almost inverted nipples) but everytime I use it DS pulls it off of me constantly since my nipple doesnt come out enough to give it a good grip. I tried buying a smaller one and it stayed but DS did a number on my nipple with it.

Anyone figure out a way to make it work better? I am trying to latch him as much as possible because I have low supply (while EBF he went days with only 1 wet diaper and no poops, and it was confirmed when I saw a LC after several feed weights he was only getting about 6 ml per feeding) and I am trying everything to get my supply up so that the formula can get out of my house for good.

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjimaging
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I used a shield but it was because he couldn't latch.  He'd pull it off of me too but most of the time he left it be.  It was the only way he'd eat until four months, at which time he didn't want it anymore and started eating without it.  I didn't have your problem with it coming off though so I'm not sure about advice, hopefully someone else will have some advice.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Ok well as long as he gets bottles it will ruin latch, especially with flat nipples, the shield will lower supply too.  YOu need to pump after each nursing and see about getting a supplimental nursing system to if any suppliments are needed they are given at the breast.

Do you have nipple shells to wear in your bra to pull your nipples out?  Do you pump a second before a feeding or use a latch assist to pull the nipple out before a feeding?  Try those methods.

Nipple shields should fit your nipple, you don't use bigger or smaller to make the baby happy you get the ones that fit your nipple correctly.

What are you doing to raise supply?  It may be more of a milk transferance issue rather than supply issue because nipple shields lower tha amount of milk transferred by baby.

Mommy31707
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I used the shield with my DS2 (who will be 1 on the 26 and still bf'ing) I have or should say HAD inverted nipples. It always came off of me and would empty my milk and spill all over me. I ALWAYS got upset because that was a waste of precious milk. I dont have any advice on how to keep it on because I never could and I tried everything. Have you tried rolling out your nipples so it comes out more into the shield? Not saying that will help it stay on but I had to do that with mine in the beginning and then eventually they stayed like that, were nop longer inverted, and he was off the shield. Sorry I am not more of a help. Keep going momma!!

Haylee1113
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I do pump for a min before each feeding and I pump after to help empty them more to get supply up.

I am taking fenugreek and blessed thistle (although I have developed a rash from one of them so I stopped the thistle today to see if it is that or the fenugreek) I also use mother's milk tea.

I tried a finger feeder as well as feedings with a spoon and medicine cup for the first 12 days to supplement but now that he is taking 2 1/2 - 2 oz each feed my LC told me to use the bottles I have (which are breastflow - wide base with no more than a drip each second)

I want this to work so bad and I will continue trying whatever I can to breastfeed for a year. If I have tried EVERYTHING and it still doesn't work that is the only time I will consider stopping.

gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Shells, not shields. SHields are for wounded nipples. They're not that useful long term for flat or ionverted. You wear shells when not nursing.

Also learn the booby sandwich. Hold the breast in a c-hold and compress. It makes the  nipple stand out just enough. You don't need it to be pointy.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Quoting Haylee1113:

I do pump for a min before each feeding and I pump after to help empty them more to get supply up.ok if he is not emptying them that can explain the issue, he needs to stay latched longer then.  Also use your milk to suppliment and only after a full nursing..

I am taking fenugreek and blessed thistle (although I have developed a rash from one of them so I stopped the thistle today to see if it is that or the fenugreek) I also use mother's milk tea.how much fenugreek daily or how much tea?

I tried a finger feeder as well as feedings with a spoon and medicine cup for the first 12 days to supplement but now that he is taking 2 1/2 - 2 oz each feed my LC told me to use the bottles I have (which are breastflow - wide base with no more than a drip each second)these are good bottles BUT is that 2-2.5 oz each feed PLUS nursing?  Thats too much if hes nursing every 2-3 hours.  Thats a full feed or overfeeding one or the other.  Reason I said use a supplimental nurser is so that your nipples get the stimulation and it can help fix his latch and prevent nipple preference...bottles should not be used if a mom is there to nurse, baby shoul dbe AT the breast.  Look into a supplimental nursing system

I want this to work so bad and I will continue trying whatever I can to breastfeed for a year. If I have tried EVERYTHING and it still doesn't work that is the only time I will consider stopping.

Haylee1113
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Shells, not shields. SHields are for wounded nipples. They're not that useful long term for flat or ionverted. You wear shells when not nursing.

Also learn the booby sandwich. Hold the breast in a c-hold and compress. It makes the  nipple stand out just enough. You don't need it to be pointy.

I forgot to add in there that I do wear shells in my bra when not nursing.

I use the c or u hold while nursing, but he still will not latch without the shield.

also the 2-2.5 oz is a total feeding.

Haylee1113
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I supplement with any breastmilk I can pump after and formula if I cannot get any milk with the pump.

I was taking 3 fenugreek and blessed thistle 3x a day, but after a few days I still didnt smell any hint of maple syrup in my pee or sweat (I have heard thats when you know you're taking enough) so I am now taking 4 fenugreek 3x a day and no thistle to see if that caused the rash.

I have heard of SNS that go on your nipple and I was actually trying to rig my finger feeder to work like one, where can I find a real SNS and are they really expensive?

Quoting Haylee1113:

I do pump for a min before each feeding and I pump after to help empty them more to get supply up.ok if he is not emptying them that can explain the issue, he needs to stay latched longer then.  Also use your milk to suppliment and only after a full nursing..

I am taking fenugreek and blessed thistle (although I have developed a rash from one of them so I stopped the thistle today to see if it is that or the fenugreek) I also use mother's milk tea.how much fenugreek daily or how much tea?

I tried a finger feeder as well as feedings with a spoon and medicine cup for the first 12 days to supplement but now that he is taking 2 1/2 - 2 oz each feed my LC told me to use the bottles I have (which are breastflow - wide base with no more than a drip each second)these are good bottles BUT is that 2-2.5 oz each feed PLUS nursing?  Thats too much if hes nursing every 2-3 hours.  Thats a full feed or overfeeding one or the other.  Reason I said use a supplimental nurser is so that your nipples get the stimulation and it can help fix his latch and prevent nipple preference...bottles should not be used if a mom is there to nurse, baby shoul dbe AT the breast.  Look into a supplimental nursing system

stillgotit2
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:04 PM

I didn't read the other posts yet but used the shield twice.  I have extremely flat nipples that have been inverted all my life.

So, this past time I had it with that shield and a LC showed me how to get her on without it.  I squeezed my nipple flat horizontally and then when she opened up her mouth I made sure I put my nipple in her mouth by pressing slightly on the tongue and bottom lip so it was stuck out and then letting her close her mouth.  A few tries and we were OFF that shield.  Once she got older she was a pro and no longer needed the help.  GL

look up videos of how to nurse with flat nipples, it'll help.

Always make sure the tongue is out on your breast and the bottom lip is out.  THe top doesn't matter.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Quoting Haylee1113:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I supplement with any breastmilk I can pump after and formula if I cannot get any milk with the pump.ok that sounds great because formula will fill more and mean less nursings..do you do this after every feed?  Do you base supplimenting on diapers or how baby acts?  How much suppliment do you give a day?

I was taking 3 fenugreek and blessed thistle 3x a day, but after a few days I still didnt smell any hint of maple syrup in my pee or sweat (I have heard thats when you know you're taking enough) so I am now taking 4 fenugreek 3x a day and no thistle to see if that caused the rash.yeah I had to take 12-14 fenugreek to up supply, thing is nothing can riase supply if the milk is not removed so nursing as long as possible at the berast is what will help the most.  I found more milk plus pills helped more than fenugreek

I have heard of SNS that go on your nipple and I was actually trying to rig my finger feeder to work like one, where can I find a real SNS and are they really expensive?I think they run about $40 ytou can order them online, from medela or sometimes get they at a medical supply store.  With the cost of formula its worth the bit of extra money.  you should be able to rig the finger feeder to work like one for sure...tape the tube next to your nipple...try nursing without the shield with the tube first, with the shield it complicates things lol

Quoting Haylee1113:

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/05lactation_aid.html

I think that link will help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)