Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Supplementing

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:32 PM
  • 15 Replies

Ok so it started out my LO was nursing all day and all night when she was 3 wks old and the LC had us bring her in for a weight check. She hadn't gained any weight since her two wk appointment. She had been having 3-5 bm's and 6+ wets but wasn't gaining. We brought her back at 4 wks and she still hadn't so the LC had us supplement with formula after she ate off me. It started out being 2 oz here and there. She had us keep track of how much she had in a wk then asked us to come back. We went back the following wk and she had went from 7lbs 15oz to 9lbs 3oz(64oz). So she had us cut back on the formula and come back again in a wk...well she only gained 1oz(36oz). My problem is...is she not getting enough milk from me or is there an underlying problem to why she isn't gaining any weight? I do not want to keep supplementing her with formula but at the same time she needs to gain weight.  I do not have enough milk to pump and store for her when I do go back to work. Please help!!

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vances_mom
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:40 PM
I'm a little confused as to what the 64oz and 32oz you have in parenthesis are in reference to. What were her weights at birth and release from hospital? Were all weights done on the same scale? How much formula were/are you giving a day? We'll get this figured out, momma! There are some SUPER ladies in this group.
Larue09
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:42 PM

I don't think you need the formula! She had good diapers. What was her birth weight? I am a bit shocked that a LC would have you supplement so early with formula when she has had a good diaper count!

M.Stokes
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:53 PM

the numbers are how much formula she had..her birth weight was 8lbs 4 oz and she didn't reach it until she was 4 weeks old

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Quoting M.Stokes:

Ok so it started out my LO was nursing all day and all night when she was 3 wks old and the LC had us bring her in for a weight check. She hadn't gained any weight since her two wk appointment. She had been having 3-5 bm's and 6+ wets but wasn't gaining.

thats ok baby was getting enough but most likely you had an oversupply and baby was getting too much foremilk

We brought her back at 4 wks and she still hadn't so the LC had us supplement with formula after she ate off me.

so NOTHING else was tried before supplimenting?  NO before and after weighs, no increase supply, no mention of oversupply, no block feeding???  That LC needs to be SHOT

It started out being 2 oz here and there. She had us keep track of how much she had in a wk then asked us to come back. We went back the following wk and she had went from 7lbs 15oz to 9lbs 3oz(64oz).

WOAH she gained 20oz in a week??? 

So she had us cut back on the formula and come back again in a wk...well she only gained 1oz(36oz).

well she was gaining too much before so now her body is trying to make up for it..average the 2 weeks and you get almost 11 oz in the 2 weeks and that is still WAY over the norm

My problem is...is she not getting enough milk from me or is there an underlying problem to why she isn't gaining any weight?

I think you have a crappy LC first off, when enough diapers are seen but weight is not lost but not gained its usually an oversupply things, especially in the first weeks.

I bet some block feeding and NO supplimenting would be fine.  Giving formula limits time at the breast, it means less nursing, it means more formula and formula has LESS calories.

I do not want to keep supplementing her with formula but at the same time she needs to gain weight. 

true BUt there are TONS of thinsg to try before supplimenting and your LC had you try none of them, and that makes me sad and angry

I do not have enough milk to pump and store for her when I do go back to work. Please help!!

yes you do...or we can make sure you do, best way to get extra is to pump while she nurses but lets give it a bit to work on the weight

Lets see if I can ask what the LC should've asked

Now this is questions about before supplimenting started

-Do you time at the breast?  As in switch breasts after a certain number of minutes

-how often do you nurse?

-Does baby ever gag, choke, pull off while nursing or extremely gulp?

-Does the opposite breast of feeding almost spray at letdown?

-What color was poop?  Yellow and seedy or kinda greenish?

-Did baby ever seem gassy/colicky?

-Baby gained fine til 3 weeks??Diapers were fine too all along??

Questions for after supplimenting started

-How often do you nurse?

-How long do you leave baby at the breast before supplimenting?

-How do you base how much baby needs when supplimenting?

-Was the 64 oz the amount supplimented in the week?  So 9 oz a day??

-Have you tried pumping between nursings to suppliment with that instead??

Tabitha-Moderator of Breastfeeding moms, feel free to PM me
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 6, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Quoting M.Stokes:

the numbers are how much formula she had..her birth weight was 8lbs 4 oz and she didn't reach it until she was 4 weeks old

How much did she lose before starting to gain?  Can I get a list of weights?  Did you have a C-section?  Iv fluids?

michellina124
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:03 PM

So... if her birth weight was 8lbs 4 oz how much did she actually weigh when she left the hospital?  then from that amount add back to what she was at 4 weeks.  Sounds like she is gaining ok to me,  especially if she's peeing and pooing.  Usually babies are slooowww to start gaining then all of a sudden they are gaining a lot.  I think you are doing OK  I would stop giving the formula and nurse her as often as she wants.  Then see what happens.

Quoting M.Stokes:

M.Stokes
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:15 PM

She was born on the 21 of January at 401 am when we left for home friday around 1pm she was at 7lbs 11oz that following Wednesday she was 7lbs 9oz(6 days old here). at her 2 wk appt she was 7lbs 15 oz..then she stayed at that until she was 3 weeks and 5 days old. Then the lc had us supplement her with formula for one wk(64oz of formula) then the next weight check was 9lbs 3oz so she had us cut back on the formula and she got 36 oz the next week and was 9lbs 4 oz. That was last Tuesday the 2 of March. She was born NATURALY..iv fliuds? for her none

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Quoting M.Stokes:

She was born on the 21 of January at 401 am when we left for home friday around 1pm she was at 7lbs 11oz that following Wednesday she was 7lbs 9oz(6 days old here). at her 2 wk appt she was 7lbs 15 oz..then she stayed at that until she was 3 weeks and 5 days old.

wondering why no one said anything at 2 weeks when she was not back at birthweight

Then the lc had us supplement her with formula for one wk(64oz of formula)

but I don't get why other things were not tried at all?? it makes NO sense.  ANY LC worth her salts would have tried to solve the issue without supplimenting because supplimenting is just a step towards weaning and kills supply, diapers were fine which is what means to me you have plenty of milk, its not a lack of milk issue at all...I bet its a lack of hindmilk issue.  I wish she had you block feed instead

then the next weight check was 9lbs 3oz so she had us cut back on the formula and she got 36 oz the next week and was 9lbs 4 oz.

but she gained WAY more than she should the first week on formula, her body is trying to adjust and normalize

That was last Tuesday the 2 of March. She was born NATURALY..iv fliuds? for her none

I asked about c-section and IVs because they can artificially infalte weight at birth and tend to give 3-5oz of weight gain more which often leaves babies looking like they lack weight gain

M.Stokes
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:40 PM

i had an iv with oxytocin in it.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 6, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Quoting M.Stokes:

i had an iv with oxytocin in it.

So you had an epidural and saline most likely too..those can cause some inflation of weight

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)