Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8:30 feeding since 3 or 4 . . . HELP!!! **last update in purple **

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:37 PM
  • 27 Replies

My baby was born March 4 @ 10:45pm . . . i am already home from the hospital and my nipples need some relief and i don't know what to do.  My son has been feeding since 3 or 4 pm . . . i am on here because i couldn't hold my first bowl movement since labor any longer and i told my husband to give him 1 bottle (we sample similac in the mail).  I didn't want to but I am in so much pain even when he is on right it hurts, i want to cry because i don't know what to do. 

For the last hour he has been alert and trying to look around.  The only position i could master in the hospital was the football hold.  I need help and advise, esp if he is still wanting to go at it when i get off the toilet.  

Also he has only had one bowel movement and one pee today.  he did get circumcised . . . yesterday he had 5 bowel movements and 2 pee, he was eating every 3-4 hours and things were good . . . does it matter that he hasn't had may today?

i can hear him swollow at least i think i can . . . i just don't know what to do and i need some relief.  

Sorry if this is rambeling, i'm new and sleepy and . . . well . . . hopefully you guys will understand.  Please no bashing about the bottle, it was that or poo on myself.  I already heard him cry while i rushed down a dinner my husband made me eat cause i was getting lightheaded, i can't stand to hear that again so quick.

This morning he did it again . . . he was going from 11:30 to 2 when i decided to give him another bottle . . . i was crying because i couldn't get him to stop and eat towards the end, at one point he looked at me while screaming and i promise you he was pleading with me to get him something, anything.  When i gave him the bottle and he pushed it out he would scream, i tried me, he screamed, finally he took the bottle and we both felt better.  I then got hubby up and he has been sitting with him since 2:30 cause he doesn't want to be put down and i could get some sleep. 

How do i know if he is swollowing?  I haven't fed him again, when i came down DH had given him an oz because i was falling over and couldn't walk, he said it is the last time, he just wanted me to sleep.  Last night i thought he was but he was so hungry.  I hear this small sound like air and liquid through a straw but nothing like what i hear with the bottle.  

We are going to go shopping today and get some cream, at the hospoital they told me that i could use the soothies or the cream so i have been using the soothies.  And i think we may pick up a boppy.  I have large breasts and the football is all i can do with out him pulling back and i have been having bad carpell tunnel with the end of my pregnancy and with the football i can prop pillows when my hands and fingers get numb.  Please, your advise and encouragement really help,  I feel like such a bad mom cause i don't know how to comfort him it feels like and i can't feed him right.

Thanks for the advise . . . i know a lot of you don't think i should give him  the bottle . . . i just don't know . . . i only do it when he won't stop crying AND i can hear his stomach growling.  I know he is getting something from me from the last stool (the color they said it would be in the hospital) and at one point he had a little spit up of breast milk . . . thank everyone so much  . . . please keep the advise coming cause i am trying everything you guys suggest and A LOT of it has really really made a difference with how he is acting and how my breasts are feeling. Thank you thank you thank you

Thanks everyone . . . your advise and encouragement really helped.  I am posting a quick update because my milk came in and we haven't given him a bottle in 24 hours!!!!! He gets content and it in a deep sleep or just alert for 3-4 hours!!! YAY!! Now we just have to figure out how to get him to stay asleep in his crib, we don't want to co-sleep because both DH and I roll and the sleep i get isn't good when he is on my stomach because he already rolls from side to side.   But that is another post . . . Thanks again I am soooooooo happy!!!

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Do you have any nipple cream?  If not, get some asap.  You can also get some gel soothie pads that should help.  If your nippples are cracked at all squeeze out a few drops of breastmilk and let it air dry.  Also see if you can get a sling, they can be a lifesaver for a nursing mom.  You will be able to keep baby in there all day and nurse whenever you need to and still be hands free to get other things done.  I wouldnt worry about only having one bowel movement, breastfed babies can actually go days even weeks without having one.  The pee is a little more concerning.  Baby should be having one wet dipaer per day for each day they are alive until day 6 and than it should be 6-8 a day. (Remember though that a day is 24hrs not just during the day so count anything during the night also.)  Try to avoid the bottles especially this early it can cause additional problems (nipple confusion, flow preference)  Dont worry if baby has to cry for a few minutes while you eat or go to the bathroom, thats what dad is there for anyway.  I know its hard to hear them cry but its really ok.  Think of it this way, if it helps, a crying baby actually triggers your body to make more milk so when baby is crying its actually helping your supply out.  Also remember that for the next few weeks your job is nursing that baby and will take pretty much all of your time, forget housework, laundry and anything else that isnt a necessity.  See if you can find a LC or breastfeeding support group through your local hospital or contact your local la leche league.  This would be great helps to you and can help with any latch issues and different holds.  Take a deep breath and Know that You Can do this and it does eventually get easier.

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Oh and please make sure that you are eating and drinking lots of water.  Get a water bottle and keep it full and next to you at all times.  Get some snacks to munch on during the day also.  Not eating and drinking enough can affect your supply.  You need to be consuming at least 1500 calories a day and drinking about 64oz of water a day.

by Tiffany on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:54 PM

I agree with everything Tayers said.

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:55 PM

i got soothies from the hospital . . . he ate about an ounce and has been ok . . . i am counting the night stools and pee . . . everything was fine at the hospital with latching, all my nurses said that he was good latching and they were surprised . . . thanks for the encouragement, i need it.

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:03 PM

I still think the dipe count is ok.  He is only 2 days old so only needs to be having 2 wet diapers and he had one wet and one poopy.  Nothing to worry about yet.  Babies can change their latch so just make sure that he is opening big and wide.  You can also watch his ears if they are wiggling than he is actively nursing and you can listen for the swallow.  Everything sounds perfectly normal though babies tend to like to be attached ALOT for the first couple of weeks, than there is a growth spurt around week 3 so they nurse alot than it usually gets a little easier about that time.  DOnt worry you will get a routine and your nipples will start feeling better.  With DS I thought I was going to die every time he latched on for about the first week and half but it got better and I nursed him for 18 months now DD is almost 13 months and still going strong.  You can do this and will be so glad you did!

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:31 PM

For diaper counts he needs 1 wet diaper per day of age until 7 days old (95% sure thats what it is)

nak sorry!

by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Make sure he is completely facing you(tummy to mummy) and up at breast level when you position him. Line up his nose to your nipple not his mouth, this ensures he tips his head back, opens wide, and keeps his tongue down plus helps to get more breast in his mouth. Express some breast milk on to your nipples and let them air dry, or you can use lanolin cream.

Hang in there, you are both learning a new thing and it takes some practice. =)

by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 1:19 AM

I think you did the right thing with the bottle!!!  I am sure you have already heard this, but nursing HURTS especially for the first 2-3 weeks.  Its an aweful pain, but you just battle thru that and before you know it, its over!  Until then, I would say get nipple cream!  It will help!  Also try to stretch your feedings to about 2 hours in between.  I know it will be soooo hard, and baby will cry, but that will give your milk a little time to "fill".  Also...I'm sure you already know this, but drink TONS of water!!  At least a gallon a day!! This is the most important thing!!!  I would also say that if he isnt getting any rest time, or you arent, try giving him an oz or 2 right after nursing.  Just to see if his issue is that he's not full.  Your milk should be flowing soon if it isnt already!!!  Do what is best for you!! I give my twins 3 oz at night (once) and nurse full time the rest of the time!!  You do what works for your family!! Good luck! :)

by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 1:24 AM

Been there, cried like a baby (much to DH's chagrin), and better.

Believe me, I know it sucks, no pun intended.  Get yourself the softest nursing pads you can find (the ones I got from the WIC office felt like sandpaper when we were just starting--picked up some flannel cotton ones and almost died they felt so nice by comparison) and GET THE LANOLIN.  I was amazed at the difference even a little bit made.  You also want to do the expressed milk on the nips, but trust me...lanolin gooooood.

The first two weeks are the hardest, then it starts to get easier.  Between weeks 6-8 I promise you'll feel like an old'll probably discover some "new" positions you like and are comfortable in (I still don't get the cradle hold, lol) which helps.  Have you tried nursing while laying down?  It's awkward at first, so see if DH will lay behind you kind of like spooning to support you while the kiddo eats (and you rest a bit).  It quickly became a favorite of ours.

by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 1:33 AM

I second that imdbbduck!!!  Laying down to nurse is a life saver!!!  Then you can get some shut eye and baby is happy (and warm).  And youre'll be an old pro before long.  I even nurse and make dinner now!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)