Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Waking at night again to nurse

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:44 PM
  • 3 Replies

So my DD is going to turn seven months on the 12th.  For about a month on and off, she has been waking up at night.  She use to sleep about 12 hours, now she sleeps 10ish.  Still great, but just different than what we were use to.  The thing is, she use to be great at putting herself back to sleep if she woke up for wahtever reason ever since she found out how to suck her thumb.  Or she'd fall back to sleep from a simple rocking.  Now she will wake up and start crying badly.  We try to rock her, but it doesn't work and the only thing that does is nursing her back to sleep.  She will eat and chug down a little bit, but doesn't stay awake long enough to what I'd consider her normal feeding to be.  So I don't know if she wakes up and gets so upset because she's hungry, or if shej ust wants to be comforted and rocking doesn't do the trick anymore.  I also thought that maybe she's teething, but she hasn't shown any new signs than she has in the past couple of months. 

Is this common for her to start doing around this age?

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Marti123
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:19 PM

My experience is: they do it for comfort. My oldest son started waking like this around 6 months or so. At first I thought, oh, he's hungry but really it was like the older he got, the smarter he got. Why self-soothe is mommy will come in and cozy me on a warm breast? All those tricks of rubbing backs, comforting without picking him up, handing lovies, and checking on him every 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then 15 and so on, were useless for us. My DS was insulted and just would scream in fits of anger until he was nursed back to sleep.

Hopefully it's just a phase for your little one.

kptmomof3
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 10:22 PM

my 8 month old still wakes up on average 2 to 3 times a night...he takes two naps during the day, one in the morning and one afternoon one and usually is down for bed around 9, up again around 2, then again around 5, then up for the day close to 7am...its tiring but I know it won't last forever, plus I think he is going thru another growth spurt, little guy has grown so much these last few weeks!!

gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 8, 2010 at 12:00 AM

It's common at pretty much ANY age. What's not common is a sleeping pattern lasting more than a few weeksin year one. If it even lasts a few weeks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)