Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 1/2 month continues to nurse all the time (not a growth spurt).

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:03 PM
  • 7 Replies

It was a rough start, but we persevered past OAL, over-supply, reflux, colic, and aspiration pneumonia. Now coming up on 6months old, but my little guy LOVES to breastfeed. It's like he's on a constant growth spurt. He will only nap on my breast; he wants to eat at least every hour, often more. He has no interest in his jumperoo, rolling over, his toys or other developmental stimuli. I just ignored it at first, but I don't know other babies this age that nurse this much.

It may be mommy guilt, but I wonder if it all stems from the fact that I work outside the home 4 days a week for 10-12 hour/days (started back in January. So when I am home, he feels like he might be abandoned and just clings to my breast like a little monkey. When I am gone, he cries and cries, over-eat if we let him. My father has to walk and jiggle with him to stop the screaming and even then he fusses. He gets overtired but despite all our efforts he won't take more than a cat nap unless I am holding and nursing him or he falls asleep in the car. And to make matters worse, he has to start at a formal daycare setting in April; I don't know what they are going to do with him there.

I don't really mind him nursing all the time when I am home, but I just worry about him, and friends and family wants to know why he STILL nurses ALL the time. He nurses more than our friends 1 month old. I have bought several slings, but he doesn't seem to like them. My only experience, is with DS#1, and he loved to eat too, but not this much.  Any thoughts, or has anyone been through a similar situation? 

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
roxyg2008
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 12:30 AM

well dd did that and the doc said she was pacifing herself. like my boob was her security blanket. she breastfed for hours if i let her and she didnt want anything else. she just wanted to be with my boob all the time. she got over it thank goodness. 

Daynaof3
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Very common for moms who work. As long as the baby is having good diaper counts I wouldn't be concerned.

Arisce
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 1:47 AM

My DD was like that and I was a SAHM. She's 17 months now and she nurses ~6-8 times in 24 hours now. Still more than other kids her age. She's very independent though! Don't worry. :)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 7, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Seperation anxiety and high maintenance baby, really my oldest was like this and he was FF after 12 weeks.  He got used to me being away and he had very understanding caregivers who held him when he needed it.  He was better by about 10 months old, but is still a very emotional and dramatic child at almost 8 years old.

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Quoting Arisce:

She's very independent though! Don't worry. :)

Thanks, good to know, as right now, it feels like we might never get there, lol.

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Quoting roxyg2008:

well dd did that and the doc said she was pacifing herself. like my boob was her security blanket. she breastfed for hours if i let her and she didnt want anything else. YES, this is exactly what it feels like, for hours, every week-end!! In fact since I started work, he WILL NOT take any brand of pacifier AT ALL when I am gone or at home, I AM THE BINKY!!!!  she just wanted to be with my boob all the time. she got over it thank goodness. At what age did she seem to lose interest? 

Marti123
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Seperation anxiety and high maintenance baby, Sounds familiar!!! eally my oldest was like this and he was FF after 12 weeks.  He got used to me being away and he had very understanding caregivers who held him when he needed it.  He was better by about 10 months old, but is still a very emotional and dramatic child at almost 8 years old. I can make it another 5 more months like with him attached to me, I just hope he finds an additional form of entertainment and comfort after that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)