Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long for a blocked milk duct to heal?? And what helped you?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2010 at 11:48 AM
  • 4 Replies

My son is almost 3 months old and breastfeeding has been much more challenging than I expected.  I had thrush and cracked/bleeding nipples at the beginning, but we worked through it and have had a while with out pain. It was such a relief! But now I am pretty sure I have some clogged/blocked ducts. I have two huge lumps in one side that are so tender and sore. I have been trying to apply heat and have been feeding on that side first as often as possible.  After doing some reading I realize I need to rest more.  But other than that, is there anything else that helped anyone? This has been going on for almost a week now with maybe a little improvement.  How long does it normally take to heal? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

by on Mar. 14, 2010 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
lyndallsmom
by on Mar. 14, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Try also pumping and massage. Any clothing you are wearing that may be putting pressure on your breasts can cause clogged ducts too like underwire bras. I also found ibuprofen to be helpful.

Kim

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 14, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Nurse with baby's chin pointing toward the clog.

mamalinzie
by on Mar. 14, 2010 at 8:58 PM

I had a low grade breast infection that kept causing plugged milk ducts. What I would do was take a heating pad and put it as high as I could tolerate without burning myself and leave it on for 15 minutes. Then get on all fours over the baby and nurse, with her chin pointed towards the lump.   If the baby was already asleep, I would pump. It usually took care of the plugged milk duct immediately.

cmiller83
by on Mar. 14, 2010 at 9:37 PM

so maybe I am nuts....BUT I remember reading that nursing the baby in certain positions helped....I think I laid my baby on the floor and leaned over her and let her nurse....massaging the area towards the nipple while feeding helps too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)