Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

IUD's and c-section question PIOG

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2010 at 9:31 PM
  • 16 Replies

How long after a c-section should you wait to get an IUD placed?  I went for my 6 week check up and my doctor was all ready to put it in but then I reminded her that I had a c-section (I can't believe she forgot and/or didn't look at my records).  She was concered about putting IUD so shortly after surgery because of risk of it slipping through my uterine wall.  She want to wait until 12 weeks post c-section.

To make a long story short...my medicaid is about to run up in a couple days and I really can't afford an IUD on my own and I just don't trust myself with the mini pill.  (New baby makes it hard for me to remember to take it on time and I am NOT ready to conceive again).  Another docto at the practice is able to get me in before medicaid expires and I will be 9 weeks post c-section.  Who has the IUD who also had a c-section and can you tell me how long you waited?  I'm really nervous about the whole procedure anyway.  I heard it can be rather painful.

Thanks

by on Mar. 25, 2010 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM

YOU can get the Mirena IUD for free through planned parenthood I believe, call about it.

I've never had a c-section but I had my IUDs put in at 7 weeks so I dunno.

Mommy2Jolee
by on Mar. 25, 2010 at 10:54 PM

I haven't had a c-section so I can't answer your question but... I did have the Mirena inserted yesterday and the procedure itself was just like getting a papsmear for me.  I didn't feel anything during but I am having menstrual like cramping now. 

jesmoore27028
by on Mar. 25, 2010 at 11:04 PM

If you can wait a little while longer I would. I have had 2 c-sections and after my 2nd one I wanted the mirena IUD put it and had it put in at my 8 week visit. Mine perforated my uterus and I had to have surgery to have it removed. My normal OB suggested that you wait at least 6 months that way you know you are completely healed. If you can't wait that long he said 12 weeks should be ok. HTH

JamesAndMe
by on Mar. 26, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Uhh.   9 weeks after surgery is WAY too soon.

Most of the info I have read about IUD's shortly post-partum is that the risk of them falling out goes way up if you get them inserted too early (prior to about 4-5 months post-partum), especially if breast feeding (which keeps the cervix soft).   I also have read information like the previous poster has said about c-sections and the IUD's getting entangled in the scar tissue and then you have to have it surgically removed, slipping out through unhealed tissue, and perforating the uterus. 

I would seriously re-think the IUD.

Can't you just get your cell-phone and set it to do a vibrate alarm at like .. 4 pm every day so you can take the mini-pill?  Or use condoms for 6 months ? I mean is the IUD really more important than your health?

Plus.  You can always go to Planned Parenthood.  They charge on a sliding scale and often state programs (if you qualified for medicaid while you were pregnant, you will qualify for the state programs) designed to pay for women's birth control costs exist.   There is one in PA and NY that pays for birth control for women who are lower-income, I know that much, so there is likely programs in your state too.

If nothing else, planned parenthood would totally work out a payment plan.

I would not get an IUD before I was about 6 months post-partum if I had a c-section and 4 months post-partum if I didn't.  The risks for c/s patients isn't worth it and for non-c/s the thing can fall out like 10x easier so what good birth control is that if the thing falls out?

youngnconfused
by on Mar. 26, 2010 at 12:25 AM

I had mine put in 10 weeks after c-section with this one and after my first it was 11 weeks or so and I never had any problems but we are all different.  The Dr. told me my cervix was "normal" size and would not reject the IUD.  I have Mirena by the way it is the 2nd one I have had.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

BaBiiMaMa89
by on Mar. 26, 2010 at 12:27 AM

i got my iud at 7 wks after my section. It doesn't hurt, just like a tiny pinch on the cervix. They are wayyy spendy though, i got my bill and it was about 600 for the IUD itself and 200 for the insertion! I have mirena.

BaBiiMaMa89
by on Mar. 26, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Could I ask where you are getting your information? All doctors I have heard say 6wks is usually the norm. After all PP bleeding has subsided.

Quoting JamesAndMe:

Most of the info I have read about IUD's shortly post-partum is that the risk of them falling out goes way up if you get them inserted too early (prior to about 4-5 months post-partum), especially if breast feeding (which keeps the cervix soft).   I also have read information like the previous poster has said about c-sections and the IUD's getting entangled in the scar tissue and then you have to have it surgically removed, slipping out through unhealed tissue, and perforating the uterus. 

Can't you just get your cell-phone and set it to do a vibrate alarm at like .. 4 pm every day so you can take the mini-pill?  Or use condoms for 6 months ? I mean is the IUD really more important than your health?

Plus.  You can always go to Planned Parenthood.  They charge on a sliding scale and often state programs (if you qualified for medicaid while you were pregnant, you will qualify for the state programs) designed to pay for women's birth control costs exist.   There is one in PA and NY that pays for birth control for women who are lower-income, I know that much, so there is likely programs in your state too.

I would not get an IUD before I was about 6 months post-partum if I had a c-section and 4 months post-partum if I didn't.  The risks for c/s patients isn't worth it and for non-c/s the thing can fall out like 10x easier so what good birth control is that if the thing falls out?

Photobucket
JamesAndMe
by on Mar. 26, 2010 at 1:07 AM

Quoting BaBiiMaMa89:

Could I ask where you are getting your information? All doctors I have heard say 6wks is usually the norm. After all PP bleeding has subsided.

Quoting JamesAndMe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUD_with_progestogen

Wiki is not the BEST source ever.. but it corroborates my idea that breast feeding mothers have more dangers since breast feeding changes the cervix and it makes perforation and expulsion more likely.

I would personally never get an IUD while I was breast feeding anyway, because of the hormones and their side effects, but I don't see it as - as risky past about 6 weeks. accept that the uterus doesn't heal for quite a long time.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2600433

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19751855?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_SingleItemSupl.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=5&log$=relatedreviews&logdbfrom=pubmed

What  these basically say (and this is about paraguard IUD not Mirena, there actually is not a lot of research about Mirena and c-section) that it's safer to get the IUD inserted either AT BIRTH (like through your c-section incision or within hours)  OR many months later.   It said the worst time to do it was shortly after the birth (like at your 6 week check-up) because this is when the most eventual perfs, infections, and such occurred.  It said that LATER insertion OR insertion at birth were the safest times to insert IUD's.

JamesAndMe
by on Mar. 26, 2010 at 1:15 AM

P.S. Just google Mirena IUD and after birth and you will see what I mean about stories of it going very wrong in early post-partum women.

The most complications occur in women during this time.  It's really not the best time to get an IUD.  I'm not anti-IUD at all, either, it is great birth control.  Just not in the early post-partum period.

There is also citations on the Wiki article that a much, much higher percentage of women kept EBF'ing with paraguard IUD vs. hormonal IUD indicating that supply reduction or another difficulty with breast feeding is a likely side effect.

The FDA doesn't recommend Mirena in breast feeding mother's at all, but WHO is more lax about it and says it is okay after 6 weeks.  But I've read too many stories about it now and would never say it was a good idea shortly post-partum.

StephanieCD
by on Mar. 26, 2010 at 3:53 PM

I really think I might just wait.  The only reason I wanted to get it so early is because medicaid will pay for it.  I have already forgot to take my BC pill a couple times so I just gave up on it.  I think I am going to keep my appointment for Monday and at least talk to my doc face to face.  I hate having to talk to him through his nurse on the phone.  I can voice my concerns then. 

Also, he wants me to take a pill the night before that softens my cervix for easier implantation.  Since I am breast feeding I have to bottle feed for 24hrs.  My baby has never used a bottle and the one time we tried it was a total disaster.  She out right refused it.  Any tips on how to get her to take it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN